What do you collect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Currently, nothing actively.
I have collections of:

Turn of the century medicine and pharmacy items and packages.
Swords and knives.
Plastic toy figurines, mostly from childhood and found on the ground.
157 boxes of inherited Depression era glassware and perfume atomizers.
Advertising measuring glasses... very cool, were giveaways!
Dust bunnies and cobwebs. (My one ACTIVE collection.)
My wife has a decent pipe collection, and assorted bugs, spiders, bats
and creepy things preserved in plastic and jars.

Champagne glasses (I look for odd and beautiful ones. definitely doesn't have to be a "set.")

Cookbooks autographed by my friends.

Our collections include:

A full service for 18 of Homer Laughlin's "Virginia Rose" china
Same of Taylor, Smith & Taylor's "LuRay Pastels"
Same of American and English "Blue Willow"

Almost a service for 18, including all manner of serving pieces of Rogers Brothers "Arbutus" silverware, originally made in 1908

I'm a sucker for anything silver or silverplate and have bowls, platters, cups, baskets, etc. of every size and shape imaginable.

Lots and lots of Depression glass, mainly in cobalt blue, as well as vases and serving pieces in cobalt glass.

Unusual teapots. Buck gave me one for Christmas one year that is shaped like a treadle machine because, oh I forgot, I collect all manner of sewing stuff.

Also, tons of novelty salt and pepper shakers.

Have some artwork and, since Buck and I were/are such avid readers, books, books, books, books.....

And...naturally, cookbooks.

I'm sure there's more, but I think that's enough for now.:wacko:

ETA: Our intent is to collect a service of 20 of everything, so it can be divided equally among our 5 children as part of their inheritance. Even if they don't care for the stuff, it's all in nearly mint condition and should fetch a good price if they sell it.

Last edited:
Hard-core Classic Country music........ My goal is to have every top forty country hit from 1944-78..........and I'm well on my way....

example; I have evrything jim Reeves did in the sudio in his life, including three "Mary Carter" paint commercials.......

I have evrything Hank Williams did in the studio, plus a lot of his radio appearances and his demos.

Everything Patsy Cline did, including her two appearances on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts.......

I could go on and on............:rolleyes:

Pacanis stole my answer.....
But I like to put the dust on my Sworovski crystal pieces and Precious Moments figurines when I can.

Avoirdupois.

I have been collecting it since I was a young man and I have quite a collection already and it continues to grow!

hard-core Classic Country Music........ My Goal Is To Have Every Top Forty Country Hit From 1944-78..........and I'm Well On My Way....

Example; I Have Evrything Jim Reeves Did In The Sudio In His Life, Including Three "mary Carter" Paint Commercials.......

I Have Evrything Hank Williams Did In The Studio, Plus A Lot Of His Radio Appearances And His Demos.

Everything Patsy Cline Did, Including Her Two Appearances On Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts.......

I Could Go On And On............:rolleyes:

O.M.G.! :shock:

A non-trivia post.

I collect vintage/antique copper, bronze and brass stuff like candlesticks, trays, containers etc. Mostly from the Arts & Crafts and Art Nouveau period. I also collect Buddhas.

Gizmos like this one

img_646475_0_0cb1241f0a5721645e29afa60a7a8f19.jpg

Champagne glasses (I look for odd and beautiful ones. definitely doesn't have to be a "set.")

What a lovely idea. They must be beautiful.

I have some depression glass; pink and green. I love the pink. Wish I had more, but finding it down here is slim pickins.
And I collect wind up toys, plastic, inexpensive, that I started 14 yrs ago when me niece was born. I would buy one for her whenever I saw one, and one for me to keep.
We would play with her's and I would keep mine wrapped in a decorative wooden box I found at an antique shop up north.
I also collect all types of colanders. ? I have a beautiful pot rack, I wasn't sure my ceiling would hold with heavy pots. I had a number of different colanders, so I started hanging them, instead of pots, collected more, and it looks very decorative. Especially when the ceiling lights are on. the lights go through the little holes and cast
STARS on the table. When the table light is on, the light travels up and cast STARS on the ceiling. Just a fun idea.

I used to collect cats - porcelain, carved stone, pottery, etc. I had dozens and dozens of cats, filling every shelf and nook and cranny. And my mother collected owls - hundreds of them. So when she died, I inherited her owls. THEN, we decided to move to Mexico, and got rid of almost everything we owned. I gave owls to the grandchildren, cats to the grandchildren, sold many of both at yard sales. I brought about a dozen of each with me to Mexico and gave the remainder to Salvation Army. Now, I am reluctant to begin collecting anything again...but we do collect handcrafted Mexican masks, and they hang nicely on the walls, inside and out. Here is a picture of our latest, bought at the Puerto Vallarta market a few weeks ago. He is hanging on the back wall of the house, in the back patio.
2675346670_3593dd9116.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom