What do you cook/eat when you're sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Everyone in our house has one form or another of the flu right now!:( I want us to continue to eat healthy but nothing sounds good and DH and I just don't have the energy to do anything more than necessary so cooking a lot is out of the question right now.

What do you eat/make when your family's sick? I'm hoping your ideas will sound good to us!:)

Chicken noodle soup, tea, soft boiled eggs, vanilla ice cream.

Feel better!

Yup, chicken soup. I like to add dumplings for stodge and comfort factor and starch energy to give sustainance to the soul while the protein from the chicken heals the body and the liquid sooths the throat and clears the sinuses.
Jello takes seconds to make and is easy to eat. Any nursery food, like sausages&mash with gravey and peas....nothing finicky and nothing too subtely in flavour, because you need to be able to taste it!

it depends what the prob is mostly, but I`m an advocate also of the Chicken soup with plenty garlic and pepper.

drink plenty of liquids (like you`de try drink anything else!) and keep as Warm even HOT as possible.

hope it shifts for you all soon :)

Pa,
depending on what's going on with the tummy, we do pretty light things..DH loves the soup his mom use to make, just chicken stock, tiny pastina and at the end whisk up some egg and slowly add to the simmering soup...Even the little ones love it...poached eggs on toast, I've found Livi, Carson and Cade like cinnamon sugar toast..It seems to spark the appetitie for them. Ethan, only wants room temp fluids and jello, when they start to feel a little better they all like egg custard or vanilla tapioca pudding..We also keep those elctrolyte pops you freeze and give them as often as they will take them...7-up room temp helps, they all like oatmeal, crackers, just nothing heavy with fats and seasonings til tummy settles and that red rossy cheek look they get with fever goes away.

kadesma

As a child, mom use to fix tomato soup when we were sick, amazingly enough it always seemed to work wonders in soothing childhood ills. I still do it today when I'm feeling sickly, or chicken soup.

Just clear chicken broth and toast. If you have an upset tummy, I don't think you want any noodles in it. At least until you know that you can keep something down.

Soup, soup & more soup, crackers & orange juice (for the vitamin C). When grandma was around, it was matzoh ball or kreplach soup. My mom made Lipton chicken noodle soup (with the little noodles) and added chunks of boiled potatoes. (I remember the smell/taste of parsley, when I could smell or taste anything.) Another tomato soup fan. If your tummy can handle it, a grilled cheese or grilled cheese & tomato sammich. Get well soon.:flowers:

Vodka & OJ isn't bad either, lol.

Chicken soup, for sure. It works best if you eat it out of a mug and hold it close to your face, inhaling the vapors.

There are a lot of alternatives to the Campbell's Chicken Noodle we all had as kids. (Kids still prefer it.)
Campbell's Chunky soups and Progresso soups have a several really tasty varieties, and the C's Chunky Chicken with white and wild rice soup will also go down great. If you want to go low sodium, Healthy Choice Chicken Noodle is really good.

And by the way, if you are stuffed up, don't forget good old-fashioned Vicks VaporRub (or a generic replacement) on the chest not only feels good, but really does work to clear sinuses and break up chest congestion.

Back
Top Bottom