"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #51
DC Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvacwife
I have an awesome job. I work for the post office. I'm a window clerk. I wait on customers when the come in, sort mail and do all kinds of things.
My DH retired from the Postal Service after 21 years..1988 He was a window clerk and then moved upstairs to Training the new hires. Prier to that 21 years in the Navy..(8 of that with the USMC)
With the boys on their own, I'm a semi-retired Wife, Mom and Grandma. I don't think we ever retire.......

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:40 PM   #52
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
permit me to relive my college days ... which dorm?
I've been living in Teter, but this year, and probably next I'll be in Ashton, so not a very far move.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:06 AM   #53
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
Sandy, I do believe you have the longest title amongst everyone!
Don't be so sure.

My actual job title is QMRP, which stands for
"Qualified Mental Retardation Professional".

Basically that means I have to go into an explanation every time somebody asks. heh heh - - I am a Case Manager and Service Coordinator for adults with severe-profound developmental disabilities who live in community residential care.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #54
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Z,

You must have a lot of patience and heart.

Barbara
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
I'm a systems administrator with a local ISP. I do some stuff on the networking side, too. I've been there for a month.

Sometimes, I hate my job, like today when I found myself completely unfamiliar with the configuration of a system I inherited and I had to call one of our consultants to fix it. It makes me feel incompetent.

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #56
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I sell 2-way radios to Police and Fire departments. Who does more work? Police by FAR!!! Who gets more ladies? The fire department.

I'll let you in on a secret. Firemen live 95% care free. 5% fighting a fire or just on a standard call where theres not much they can do. The Chief makes more than $100K a year... PLUS they get pensions! Am I jealous? Yep.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:08 AM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I'll let you in on a secret. Firemen live 95% care free. 5% fighting a fire or just on a standard call where theres not much they can do.
My husband is a firefighter and I'll tell ya, it's not a carefree job. True, he doesn't get many fires but he does make a difference in this city. He works 24-hour shifts and is up most, if not all, of the night. In big cities, ambulances are private companies, but here in Bellingham they are part of the Fire Dept, so he goes on a lot of medical calls as well as fire calls. But also in big cities, they get a lot more fires. I suppose a matter of where you are a firefighter can make a difference.

My husband sure wishes he got a lot more fires, but I am glad he doesn't. I worry about him enough already and at the same time I am very proud of him. He saved someone's life 2 weeks ago. Some guy who was dead and they brought him back. It's nice to have him come home with a story like that instead of the tragedies and horrible things he sees while he's at work. Believe me, I have heard some awful stories of what he deals with. It's pretty common for policeman and firefighters to be alchoholics for that reason.

...and just so you know, he got the girl before he became a firefighter.
-Brooke
Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

Brooke please give your husband a big huge handshake for me and a giant Thank You!!! It takes a special person to do what he does and they deserve thanks more than they will ever get!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Brooke please give your husband a big huge handshake for me and a giant Thank You!!! It takes a special person to do what he does and they deserve thanks more than they will ever get!
i concur. he's very brave, corazan.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:43 AM   #60
Head Chef

I am a grateful at home wife. Gidgett, my delightful little pup is my joined at the ankle companion (she's a very small dog).

In my past life I worked as a Judicial Assistant to a Circuit Court Judge and for over 10 years reviewed and assisted every family abuse restraining order petitioner - enlightening. In addition I dealt with Jurors for trials - I enjoyed that most. I also trained other court staff and judges on computer. We were to be the first paperless court - I don't think that worked very well.

Now I volunteer at a local hospital at the Surgical Patient Information Desk - we keep waiting families linked to their loved ones. It is most rewarding.

I also enjoy crafts - knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery, cross stitch, eggs, and tatting. I'm thinking about taking up quilting but I'm afraid to bring even one more craft into the house!

Cooking has always been my joy. I love to feed people - and this site is so wonderful to visit and contribute to!

Thank you for being here, DC, love you!