What do you do for hiccups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
My father-in-law taught me a cure that seems completely at odds with the mechanics of hiccups, but it works.

I know they start down in the diaphragm. However, his trick was to take a very deep breath right after you "hic". Don't gulp the air in, but make sure you inhale quickly enough to give yourself time to finish the process. Then while exhaling very slowly you very gently take your open hand (I like to use the topside since it's generally smoother than the palm) and slowly stroke your neck from collarbone to chin tip. All gone!

You do need to exhale as slowly as possible, and use a light touch with your hand. If a "hic" escapes just purge the rest of the air from your lungs and start all over with the deep breath and slow massage.

What have you found works for you?

Slowly dissolving a sugar cube on my tongue.
It works great with babies. Wet the tip of your pinky.Dip it in a sugar bowl.Then let them bite you!:LOL::rolleyes:

Munky.

Thankfully, I haven't had them in a very long time, but a teaspoon of sugar always seemed to work.

I remember some girl on the news that had them for years. What a curse and how exhausting that must be!

I have been told that you get hiccoughs because your diaphragm has gotten itself into a sort of "S" shape. One half is up, while the other half is down. I snap my diaphragm up and down a few times to "straighten" it. It works. It's really hard to describe how to snap one's diaphragm.

I do the deep breath trick, but I don't stroke my throat and chin. Works every time.

I take a deep breath through my mouth and hold it while I take small breaths through my nose. Sounds weird but works for me.

I have been told that you get hiccoughs because your diaphragm has gotten itself into a sort of "S" shape. One half is up, while the other half is down. I snap my diaphragm up and down a few times to "straighten" it. It works. It's really hard to describe how to snap one's diaphragm.

Taxi, you could teach belly dancing!! :ohmy:;)

The minute I saw this subject I knew this was one thread that would a gazillion replies! :)

My favorite is one that's almost impossible to describe. (It works for me every time!)

Fill a glass with water.
Bend over the sink with the glass of water in your hand AND sip 10 times from the opposite side of the glass than that you would normally.

You might think it's impossible until you try it.

I asked Mamma of this. She is a very odd person with an odd sense of humor.

She said she used to scare me very badly and that would stop the hiccups. She said if it didn't stop the hiccups, at least it would prevent me from having any more episodes of this.

With love,
~Cat

The only time I ever got hiccups was when I drank too much.

No drinking, no hiccups, problem solved!

An old bartender taught me to cure my hiccups by taking a new book of matches and a rocks glass half filled with water. Light the entire book of matches and immediately douse it in the water, then drink the water in one gulp. I'm sure this is a very unhealthy cure for hiccups and I cannot recommend it to anyone, but it worked every time for me. Remember book matches, I'm not sure where you would go to find them these days! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Glass of water, a big one.
Take a deep breath.
Drink the water with small swallows, holding your breath, until you have to breathe.
Has worked for me 100%.
My granny showed me this, and it always works - maybe psychosomatic, but the results the same!

When I see a kid with hiccups, I get them to look me in the eye, and then I tell them to hiccup. Usually, they cannot. It works for some adults, too.

I think the key is getting them to focus on something else, and then their diaphram can relax.

When I see a kid with hiccups, I get them to look me in the eye, and then I tell them to hiccup. Usually, they cannot. It works for some adults, too.

I think the key is getting them to focus on something else, and then their diaphram can relax.

Interesting, I'm going to try that with Shrek! He gets hiccups anytime he eats chocolate.

Increasing the pressure in my chest for a moment works for me. -I learned quick when my father was getting angry with me for hiccuping.

Back
Top Bottom