"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Master Chef

What Do YOU Do on New Year's Eve?!?

Buckytom, this one's for you!

This article is from our local paper. As you'll see, Central PA has its own unique way of celebrating New Year's Eve!

The new year will soon be ushered in by people around the world who all celebrate in their own way.

Many central Pennsylvania communities have their own unique way of celebrating the new year, reported WGAL-TV in Lancaster.

A Cumberland County community is joining the festivities this year. Mechanicsburg, Pa., will drop a wrench to usher in the new year.

Harrisburg, Pa., will return to its custom of dropping a giant strawberry this year. Lancaster and York, Pa., are known as Red Rose City and White Rose City, respectively. In Lancaster, the city raises a red rose. York residents watch the drop of a white rose into a giant vase to announce the new year.

In Elizabethtown, Pa., a huge M&M will be lowered in Center Square at 7 p.m. The town chose 7 p.m. to mark the new year in its sister city, Letterkenney, Ireland. Elizabethtown is home to an M&M Mars plant.

A summer tradition is revised in a different way in Falmouth, Pa., where the community lowers a stuffed goat. The town is known for its day of goat races in the summer.

Manheim, Pa., will raise an orb.

In York County, Dillsburg will lower a pickle. Red Lion, Pa., which was once the cigar-manufacturing capital of the United States, will raise a cigar.

Middletown, Pa., will drop a ball, and Hummelstown, Pa., will drop a lollipop.

Lebanon, Pa., will drop 7-foot-long bologna (pictured, left) at midnight. The piece of meat weighs about 120 pounds and is the largest they have made for the drop so far. Also in Lebanon County, Cleona will continue the tradition it started last year and drop a pretzel from a tower at the Cleona fire station.

Shippensburg, Pa., will drop an anchor to welcome the new year, and Newville, Pa., will drop a big spring.

New Bloomfield, Pa., will drop a huckleberry, and Duncannon, Pa., will drop a sled. Blain, Pa., will drop a cow made of wood from a silo. In Liverpool, Pa., the community will drop a canal boat.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, thanks pab. it still makes me laugh that people drop stuff for new yaers.

someday our families will have to go to the times square ball drop together.

hey, i've been to letterkenny. it's up in donegal. beautiful place.

i'm curious about the goat one. is it the winner or loser of the race that gets the ride?

how many sailors are injured in liverpool?

and lol, do they wait for the spring to stop bouncing in newville before they kiss? i picture everyone in an embrace, eyes bouncing up and down in anticipation...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
someday our families will have to go to the times square ball drop together.
Awww shucks, bucky, you big city show-offs with your shiny New Years ball drop....

We'd love to join you someday, and you're always welcome to come watch the wrench or pickle drop by us, too! We'll entice you with some good food and drink and we can let the little ones run circles around us.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When the children were still home, we would make a big batch of our favorite cut-out cookies and time it so that the first cookies came out of the oven at the stroke of midnight. We'd have cookies and champagne or sparkling grape juice for those who couldn't have champagne.

Buck and I still do that, but have the cookies done beforehand.

Our New Year's Eve meal is always fondue made from Buck's Swiss grandfather's recipe. I can hardly wait for that.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Splurged this year....for once.

New Years Eve Dinner Cruise NYC - New Years Eve NYC - New Years Eve Dinner Cruise New York - New Years Eve New York - New Years Eve Dinner Cruise New York
Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I dropped myself into Lake Erie one year on New Year's Day. Probably around '92-93. Four of us parachuted. It was.... "brisk", lol.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We always stay up and drink champagne - sparkling cider for the little ones - and watch the fireworks out on the deck. We live downtown so we have a clear view. There are usually friends here, too, and it's just a time for visiting and laughing and joking. Big hugs and kisses at midnight for everyone. After midnight, the teens usually end up watching a movie with their friends who are here while the grown ups drink coffee and hold the smallest ones who have finally fallen asleep. It's kinda nice.

We have had, in years past, a couple of real parties here which were great fun. But they usually ended up with at least one guest or another throwing up and passing out. My idea of starting the new year right does not include cleaning up puke so we quit doing that.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Usually watch Big Ben chime 12 on the tele, with a cup of tea.
but this year we`re going to a party instead.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:58 AM   #9
Head Chef

I work and have done so for many years.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
Head Chef

I go over to the next door neighbor's house but frankly, I'd rather stay home and drop a bologna.

Lee