What Do YOU Do on New Year's Eve?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Buckytom, this one's for you!;)

This article is from our local paper. As you'll see, Central PA has its own unique way of celebrating New Year's Eve! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

The new year will soon be ushered in by people around the world who all celebrate in their own way.

Many central Pennsylvania communities have their own unique way of celebrating the new year, reported WGAL-TV in Lancaster.

A Cumberland County community is joining the festivities this year. Mechanicsburg, Pa., will drop a wrench to usher in the new year.

Harrisburg, Pa., will return to its custom of dropping a giant strawberry this year. Lancaster and York, Pa., are known as Red Rose City and White Rose City, respectively. In Lancaster, the city raises a red rose. York residents watch the drop of a white rose into a giant vase to announce the new year.

In Elizabethtown, Pa., a huge M&M will be lowered in Center Square at 7 p.m. The town chose 7 p.m. to mark the new year in its sister city, Letterkenney, Ireland. Elizabethtown is home to an M&M Mars plant.

A summer tradition is revised in a different way in Falmouth, Pa., where the community lowers a stuffed goat. The town is known for its day of goat races in the summer.

Manheim, Pa., will raise an orb.

In York County, Dillsburg will lower a pickle. Red Lion, Pa., which was once the cigar-manufacturing capital of the United States, will raise a cigar.

Middletown, Pa., will drop a ball, and Hummelstown, Pa., will drop a lollipop.

4004254_200X150.jpg

Lebanon, Pa., will drop 7½-foot-long bologna (pictured, left) at midnight. The piece of meat weighs about 120 pounds and is the largest they have made for the drop so far. Also in Lebanon County, Cleona will continue the tradition it started last year and drop a pretzel from a tower at the Cleona fire station.

Shippensburg, Pa., will drop an anchor to welcome the new year, and Newville, Pa., will drop a big spring.

New Bloomfield, Pa., will drop a huckleberry, and Duncannon, Pa., will drop a sled. Blain, Pa., will drop a cow made of wood from a silo. In Liverpool, Pa., the community will drop a canal boat.

lol, thanks pab. it still makes me laugh that people drop stuff for new yaers.

someday our families will have to go to the times square ball drop together. :)

hey, i've been to letterkenny. it's up in donegal. beautiful place.

i'm curious about the goat one. is it the winner or loser of the race that gets the ride? :ohmy:

how many sailors are injured in liverpool? :(

and lol, do they wait for the spring to stop bouncing in newville before they kiss? i picture everyone in an embrace, eyes bouncing up and down in anticipation...:bounce:

someday our families will have to go to the times square ball drop together. :)

Awww shucks, bucky, you big city show-offs with your shiny New Years ball drop....

We'd love to join you someday, and you're always welcome to come watch the wrench or pickle drop by us, too! We'll entice you with some good food and drink and we can let the little ones run circles around us.:)

When the children were still home, we would make a big batch of our favorite cut-out cookies and time it so that the first cookies came out of the oven at the stroke of midnight. We'd have cookies and champagne or sparkling grape juice for those who couldn't have champagne.

Buck and I still do that, but have the cookies done beforehand.

Our New Year's Eve meal is always fondue made from Buck's Swiss grandfather's recipe. I can hardly wait for that.

I dropped myself into Lake Erie one year on New Year's Day. Probably around '92-93. Four of us parachuted. It was.... "brisk", lol.

We always stay up and drink champagne - sparkling cider for the little ones - and watch the fireworks out on the deck. We live downtown so we have a clear view. There are usually friends here, too, and it's just a time for visiting and laughing and joking. Big hugs and kisses at midnight for everyone. After midnight, the teens usually end up watching a movie with their friends who are here while the grown ups drink coffee and hold the smallest ones who have finally fallen asleep. It's kinda nice.

We have had, in years past, a couple of real parties here which were great fun. But they usually ended up with at least one guest or another throwing up and passing out. My idea of starting the new year right does not include cleaning up puke so we quit doing that.:)

Usually watch Big Ben chime 12 on the tele, with a cup of tea.
but this year we`re going to a party instead.

I go over to the next door neighbor's house but frankly, I'd rather stay home and drop a bologna.

Lee

We usually go see some fireworks a neighbour puts off, and stay for a little chat with them. Then we go home and watch movies til midnight, pause the movie, toast and kiss and turn the movie back on. LOL

This year, we are meeting friends at the toboggan hill in the afternoon and we will toboggan, come home and have hot chocolate/cider and chili and THEN do the fireworks etc.

Normally, I invite my mum over to dinner if she hasn't got any wild plans happening and cook something special - usually seafood or a fondue - open a bottle of bubbly and then have an early night. I will then get woken by the neighbour blowing up empty cool drink bottles with his oxy-acetylene gear, which not only makes the entire neighbourhood's dogs howl but all the car alarms in the street go off as well. Having now got up, I look thru the windows to make sure there is no idiot setting off illegal fireworks in my front or back gardens - which has happened in the past. Then when the lunatics have returned to their own personal asylums, I go back to bed!!

we've been invited to a party... but
I think we'll stay home and be romantic together... :)

Enough

this new year I am planning to be with the one that understands me the most. That is my dog. He doesn't want me to go anywhere anyway. Like someone said about fireworks, that is one thing I worry about too. Wind up all over my lawn, and they call me a party p-----! Just I don't want my roof catching on fire.

We normally ring in the new year by sleeping through it. But this year we are leaving for London on Xmas Day and will be there through New Years. So we are thinking we are going to be awake and somewhere in London, drinking lots of champagne. Still working on our plan for that though.

He's working that night, so I'll help where ever I can, but will probably end up taking my turn in the dish pit. Last year I got to plate the desserts, with any luck, I'll get to do it again. :LOL:

My best friend is having a 5-in-1 New Year's Eve party, early in the evening. She had told me it would be a Parisian New Year's party, celebrating at 6 p.m. our time, when it's midnight in Paris, but apparently changed her mind. Here's part of the invitation:

At 5 PM we'll celebrate with Athens.
At 6 PM we'll ring in the New Year with Paris.
At 7 PM we'll party with London.
At 8 PM we'll observe the Azores' New Year and finally,
At 9 PM we'll make merry with Rio de Janeiro.

Basically a cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres and champagne. Should be fun - we can be home before the crazies go out and watch NYC drop the ball, if we can stay up that long.

My best friend is having a 5-in-1 New Year's Eve party, early in the evening. She had told me it would be a Parisian New Year's party, celebrating at 6 p.m. our time, when it's midnight in Paris, but apparently changed her mind. Here's part of the invitation:

At 5 PM we'll celebrate with Athens.
At 6 PM we'll ring in the New Year with Paris.
At 7 PM we'll party with London.
At 8 PM we'll observe the Azores' New Year and finally,
At 9 PM we'll make merry with Rio de Janeiro.

Basically a cocktail party with hors d'oeuvres and champagne. Should be fun - we can be home before the crazies go out and watch NYC drop the ball, if we can stay up that long.

If I was ringing in the new year at 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9...... I doubt the ball would be the only thing dropping 3 hours later :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom