What do you do to reduce, reuse, recycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
oh, btw, the reason mudbug's daughter is rebellious is from years of having to wash her face with ice cold water, so it wasn't wasted... (lol, hee hee. tiptoeing away...)

Come back here, young man.......

I was re-reading this thread and thought that it might do all of us modern people good to read about those before us who had to recycle out of urgent necessity. Here's a few books I thought of that should be in many libraries:

Hard Times, by Studs Terkel (about the Depression)
Everything But Money, by Sam Levenson (growing up poor and Jewish on the Lower East Side, either pre- or early Depression era)
not sure of the title of this one, but it's something like "Women's Diaries of the Journey West" (pioneers, Oregon Trail, etc.)

oops, and of course the Firefox series

Here in Maine we have recycle bins provided to us by the city. They come by once per week to pick up. In that bin we put newspapers, cardboard, tin cans, glass, and certain plastics. We also have a recycle fee for tin and glass soda, beer, and juice containers. They charge us a fee of .05 per can or bottle when purchased, and that is returned to us if we recycle.

As far as my garden goes, I have a compost pile where I deposit all veggie scraps, grass clippings, egg shells, tea bags, etc ( basically anything that is not a weed or meat).

I recycle plastic bags that I get from the grocery store and use those to pick up dog poop (mandatory here)

I donate clothes, and various house items to the salvation army, and the good will stores.

Whenever I have a half full bottle of purchased water, I dont throw it down the drain, I water my house plants with it. And also I tend to refill my bottles of water with tap water because our water is good.

Other things I do to conserve are to wash clothes and then dry them on the clothes lines, with the exception of jeans and sheets ( I dont like my jeans hard, nor my sheets!)

I also set a timer for my hot water, and for heat during the winter. My favorite saying is "when not in use, turn off the juice". It saves on electric!

Dont pour water down your drain if you have a sewer, you will be charged for it. So just pour it on your flowers.

I used to request paper bags at the store, but now I use the recyclable plastic.

I find gas stations that are receiving gas from US sources, not imported, and usually cheaper.

I turn off the lights, and any electrical appliances when its not needed.

I hang my towels on the shower rod to dry, rather than using the dryer.

I only use my dishwasher when it is completely full

Ok so I do alot of recycling and energy saving :LOL:

In the meteroparks they have bins marked for newspapers and magazines and one marked for phone books. We must get new phone books 4 times a year and we don't even have a house phone !!! And I use those economy sized shampoos and conditioners. In the long run it's less bottles. And when theyr'e empty I put them in a blue garbage bag and put on the tree lawn so the recycling department can take them to their centers. I also do it with soda pop cans.

Back
Top Bottom