"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Sous Chef

What do you do to reduce, reuse, recycle?

We try in every way to be eco-conscious. We try to limit our disposable goods. We recycle what we can. I reuse what I can, especially glass jars and bottles. We don't eat processed foods, which really reduces the amount of trash we generate. We eat organic. Unfortunately we can't compost bio goods. But I don't feel like it's enough. What kinds of things do you do to reduce, reuse, recycle? I need new ideas.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Like you, I eat almost totally organically, which certainly cuts down on packaging, although some things are tinned, eg tomatoes, an occasional tin of soup, tomato puree!

Glass jars, wine bottles, beer bottles go to the various coloured glass recycling bins outside my local supermarket. Newspapers are collected separately by our dustbin collectors in a special box that the Council provides.

We have three compost bins on the go all the time, at various stages of development.

Clothes that are still wearable we take to charity shops, such as Oxfam, Cancer Relief etc.

Reading spectacles, we recycle by donating in a bin in our optician's store when a prescription is changed. They go to needy people in the developing world.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Mostly, I recycle/donate clothing/shoes/furniture etc. to the Cancer Society or Salvation Army. Used to have a recycle bin at a nearby local market, but now it's a 99 cent store. Would like to see more of those bins around. Problem is, in So California, everything is so spread out, you have to pack everything up and drive it some where. Don't use many canned goods, but the 2 litre soda bottles take up space.

Re ideas - don't know if this will work for you, since you eat mostly organic -- but a thought - re soup or tuna cans... try using them for baking. Guessing before muffin tins were invented, people used cans for baking bread or individual little cakes.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That's a good hint, Mish. I've got LOADS of different sizes of ramekins and muffin and bun trays, though!

We're lucky that our recycling bins are so near the supermarket - so we just load up the car and offload the recycling before loading the car up with more food!

I suspect that we are pretty 'green' here, in comparison to lots of countries. I know that Germany is good, too - and I believe The Netherlands. But France are lagging way behind, and I have seen no evidence of recycling measures in the areas of Italy I've visited - but then, I haven't been looking for them.... maybe the are just well-disguised?!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Oh, Ish, I forgot about one - coffee cans. Think years ago people would bake breads and such in them. Not a coffee drinker, but maybe I could have punched holes in them, used them as mobiles or put candles inside. Used to be a crafter, & I'll bet you could make jewelry out of those pop tops on cans - or an interesting window curtain.

Look what this fellow did, LOL.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXHOUbeer.html
Old 05-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Eugene has a pretty progressive recycling program. You are actually charged if you don't recycle. Waste management provides a recycle bin with your garbage that's twice the size of my garbage can, and another one for yard waste.

We fill our recycle bins every week. Sometimes our 'garbage' can, for a family of 5, is filled with only 1-2 tall kitchen bags.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Or paint them with a plant-friendly paint and use to grow herbs?l
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Or paint them with a plant-friendly paint and use to grow herbs?l
There ya go, Ish! Planters. Had a friend that used an old antique oven as a planter, with plants coming out of the burners and barber chairs & a barber pole on his patio Watched one decorating show where they used an old fridge as an armoire/bookshelf & an old wooden door as a coffee table. Another friend made lamps out of Sparklett's bottles. Use a colander as a lampshade
Old 05-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I'm mainly composting and recycling my cans and boxes... should do more but... oh well at least it's something....
Old 05-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

While you've got the tap flowing waiting for water to heat up to wash your face, hands, etc. - fill up empty containers and use that water on your houseplants, pet dishes, outside plants.