"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
Everymom

You're supposed to winterize your HOME?? Wow. OK, I will be following this. I think all I do is make sure the shovel isn't broken.

Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
You're supposed to winterize your HOME?? Wow. OK, I will be following this. I think all I do is make sure the shovel isn't broken.

Old 09-24-2005, 10:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Move it to Hawaii.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:10 PM   #14
Master Chef

Just had the local heat/plumbing/A/C guys come out and check our heating system and do any minor repairs. We have a 150-year old house with old storm doors on the back end of the house, and will take out screens and put in glass in after the first frost. We have a couple of windows with storm windows, and we'll do that on them. We have baseboard heating, and I will take a special vacuum cleaner attachment and clean them all out. Once winter sets in we'll lower our pleated blinds (I can't remember what they're called) at night. They don't seem like much, but they do create an air lock and make a difference. This year I'm thinking of looking for a thermal sheet to put behind the fireplace screen when we aren't using a fire. I'm expecting heating costs to escalate. Luckily, I tend to hot, and maybe menopause will pay off this winter even more. Most of our freinds keep their houses much hotter than we do in the winter (and, oddly, much colder in the summer). Since I sweat the night away no matter the house temperature, that isn't an issue. During the day, when I'm not going anywhere, a great set of sweats is super (I'm amazed at the number of people who raise the heat in their houses so they can run around barefoot in jeans and a t-shirt. OK, do it, and enjoy the bills). A couple of years ago my mom bought me a robe that is neck-to-foot sweatshirt with a zip front, and that is super since I'm often up before sunrise -- makes it so I don't have to turn up the heat for hours after I get up. And don't forget, sleeping with socks on (even when I might be dressed skimpy from there up!). I've always joked that if the rest of my body is comfy, that means my feet will be cold. But don't underestimate the value of good, comfortable, warm clothes when inside. When I go to friends' houses I wind up wearing a summery top under a pullover so I can strip down,they keep their houses so warm.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I guess your winters are warm then? Shovel, oh yea thats the other thing to put on my list actually, not plastic ones, this season is steal shovel ****** Did I mention I hate winter even though I live in Maine Oh here is a tip I heard from my neighbor last year...when the snow sticks to your shovel, lube it up with oil, it slides off easily....very good tip!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:34 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
turn on the furnace.

use a few space heaters
since the price of natural
gas is going up drastically.

rarely do i ever wear sweatshirts
but i will if it's really really cold.

i wear flannel pajamas and i sleep
in a heated waterbed.

oh and we bring out the electric
blankets and snuggle up under them
on the couch.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #17
Head Chef

kitchenelf, yep we plug in the cars. AND do lots of snow shoveling - great exercise

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Given what I'm hearing on TV about natural gas prices, we are foolishly putting a gas fireplace in the (finished) basement. However, this has been a wish of Handy Husband's for many months, so I am not interfering.

We reverse all the ceiling fans once the weather cools off to force the warm air down.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:38 PM   #19
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I guess your winters are warm then? Shovel, oh yea thats the other thing to put on my list actually, not plastic ones, this season is steal shovel ****** Did I mention I hate winter even though I live in Maine Oh here is a tip I heard from my neighbor last year...when the snow sticks to your shovel, lube it up with oil, it slides off easily....very good tip!
OMG, so NOT true. I live in Alberta where our average winter temp is about -25C which translates to -13F. I just don't do anything in particular to prep for winter. I like to stick my head in the sand and ignore it until I can't back the car down the driveway.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We clean out the ditches in front of the house so the rains don't flood them. This year we're going to put some hay bale in them to help soak up the water. It doesn't get very cold here.. but it does rain a lot.

We'll pull out the space heater to keep the office nice and toasty and turn the waterbed up a degree or two and add a blanket. That's about it besides putting the shorts away and pulling out the turtle necks.