What do you do when...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the time, if I can't eat something, it's for medical reasons and my friends and family understand. When I'm having people to dinner, though, rather than ask what they like and don't like, I ask if they have any dietary restrictions. What if they say they like something I don't like or can't eat? If I ask about dietary restrictions, I know what not to serve, but there's a lot more leeway in what *to* serve. :chef:

I always ask guests ahead of time with a menu in mind do you like seafood, beef, etc? I'm surprised at the number of people who have allergies or sensitivities or food choices (vegans, etc) or hatreds. So rather than go to the trouble of making something and them trying to be polite and choke it down (because that's what I'd do, too) I ask. I think that most are appreciative that you asked ahead of time. I esp. am careful of this when children are involved. I always appreciate it, too, when people ask me before selecting a restaurant do we like seafood, Asian, etc.

I had an experience where I cooked for my MIL and found out after the fact that she did not like seafood. (I fixed halibut for her.) From that, I have learned that if I am hosting a meal, I need to be considerate enough of my guests to find out what to avoid. Specially with the varied food diets that folks can have these days.

As for me, I would rather be honest and say that I don't like something as opposed to choking down something that I just can't stand. Decline politely as miniman stated.

I'm pretty honest about that. I would just simply say this is something I wouldn't like. It would in no way be an offense to the cook, just my taste buds.

unless it had an exoskeleton or were still alive, i'd pick and nibble until i had finished enough to be respectable.

Back
Top Bottom