What do you do when...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntdot

Head Chef
...someone serves you something that you absolutley hate to eat?

I don't mean a dislike, something you viscerally cannot stand.

To me it is bananas and boiled eggs.

I cannot stand even the smell of bananas or of boiled eggs.

But if served them, I will eat them. Maybe I am a wimp. Someone has gone to the effort to cook something for me and I will not in any way insult a host.

How do y'all feel?

I would hope that I would do everything I could not to offend by tasting and maybe even smiling while choking it down. That or feign illness. ;)

oh gad I hoped you didn't mean bananas "AND" hard boiled eggs cause I couldn't do that either:LOL:
like liver or something as ghastly to me as that, I'd just pass.
because I gag at the thought of some foods.
like my DS#2 can't do tomatoes.
my DS#1 can't do zucchini.
they'd both honestly gag if it was presented to them.
I'd say I'm sorry but...

I would pick at it and eat as much as I could as a courtesy to the host/chef. It's a matter of respect for the effort they made to prepare a dish for you.

If they knew you hated a food and cooked it regardless, different story.

I think most of us here would try to do everything possible not to offend the cook because we've all been the cook!

I don't get offended when someone doesn't like something I've served. Our taste buds are so different it just can't be expected that everyone would like the same things.

If I am served something I just can't eat, I don't eat it! I will however, always add a silly comment like "oh brussel sprouts and I just don't get along!"

I would never be rude as a guest in someone's home. But I don't think we should force ourselves to eat something we don't care for.

If it is something I just merely dislike then I will eat it regardless of my not liking it. However if it is something that I viscerally cannot stand as you had asked about then I will politely tell my host thank you, but no thanks. Eggs are that thing for me and if I eat them then the chances of me throwing up are pretty high. I would rather pass then try to be polite and eat them only to have them come right back up in front of everyone.

There is not a person on this planet who likes every food. Everyone has a food or foods that they just can not stand. I, as a cook, would never be offended that someone does not like a particular food I made. I would hope people who cook for me would understand that there are just some foods I am not going to like as well. It does not have to say anything about the cook. It is just individual tastes.

You're so right GB, but while there is no food that every single person on the planet will like, it's even more likely that there are people who are not quite as level headed as you are and WOULD be offended. My grandmother is one of them. My Dad too. That's not to say they wouldn't be the very offender in like circumstances ... double standards seem to be the standard in my family. I think that's why some people try so hard to tailor menus to the guest's tastes.

GB
I'm a bit like that with liver & kidney. I just would not be able to put them in my mouth, I would eat everything else. I was forced to eat kidney at boarding school and then threw up all over the place. I would have to decline politely.

Raw meat, liver and any organs, any abnormal meat (means anything besides chicken, turkey, pork, beef), I would quickly dump it onto the dish of Cristiano when they are not looking. fat and sinews I will just cut them off and leave it on the side of the dish, I think it is justified enough.

During a three-hour, multiple-course meal at a wonderful restaurant in Dijon, France, we were served several amusantes--tiny dishes before the main appetizer. One of them was served with what I think was a radish leaf and turned out to be a rabbit kidney. I ate it before I knew what it was. The young lady across from me informed me later what I had eaten. Luckily I was mellow enough from all the wine that I kept it down and told her it was delicious. That was the first and last time I will eat that, it was nasty...but everything else was splendid.

I normally ask the people that I have invited what kinds of things they like to keep from this happening, besides the scare of an allergy.

It would depend on how well I knew the host/cook. If it were a family member or a good friend, I would not eat it but would explain why. If I didn't know them well, I would eat it. However, if there were several dishes on the table, and foods were being passed around, I would probably quietly pass it on, unless the hostess had specifically mentioned that dish as her specialty or something. I haven't had to deal with that, thank goodness. Most of the dinners we have been to are served buffet style, and there are lots of foods to choose from.

:)Barbara

Told new girlfriend, whose parents had invited me to dinner, that I would
eat anything but lima beans or peas and carrots.

They served peas and carrots.

I didn't eat them. They didn't ask, I didn't supply an excuse.

If there is food I don't like at a meal, I don't eat it. No biggie.
If that offends.......... well then the cook should have cleared the
menu with the guests first.

there's something to say for spreading food around and around the plate. makes it look like you've eaten some of it.
I watched an actress/model do that one night with her plate, but tell ya what, she had no trouble putting down the amaretto on the rocks:(

I've eaten food twice that really offended me. I held my breath as I took each bite and quickly chewed and swallowed. Holding my breath really helped.

Hoping the hostessess didn't notice.

If it is something I absolutely hate, I don't see how I would eat it, and would probably just let the host know why I wasn't eating it. As for myself, if I am going to cook for someone, I ask first what they like and don't like so that I don't end up cooking them something they won't eat.
I have a tendency to get real sad if someone doesn't like something I cooked for them, probably why I could never be a chef.
The only exceptions are my kids, I don't care how much my son whines I am still cooking him vegetables!!!!
I do pity my daughters future boyfriends (assuming I allow them to date, which definitely won't be until they are 18 and yes I know I am dreaming let a father have his dreams!), because they are both hooked on seafood and sushi!!
In fact my oldest daughter has gotten to the point where if you just hand her a piece of sushi and say give it a try she pops it right in her mouth without hesitation and she loves the spicy sushi the most.

Back
Top Bottom