"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Head Chef

I wanted to show you the 99 Ranch Market. It's similar to the one I went to, except the fish tanks were huge. The frozen crab legs were humungous. I remember a couple trying to squeeze a live crab into a plastic baggy. I bought the scallion pancakes for the bbq'd duck. Delish! Anyhoo,, here's a look at the 99 Market (& the cute Asian girls. LOL)

Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

that lloks a lot like a chain of korean markets here called han ah reum. they've also started a group of department stores called h marts. i doubt k mart is very happy about it.

oh, btw, chinese garlic and shark fin soup? no thanks. those are reasons enough not to shop there, imo.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
that lloks a lot like a chain of korean markets here called han ah reum. they've also started a group of department stores called h marts. i doubt k mart is very happy about it.

oh, btw, chinese garlic and shark fin soup? no thanks. those are reasons enough not to shop there, imo.
I only bought stuff not from China. I really wanted to buy some of the dried mushrooms, but they were all products of China. The dried shrimp are from Korea, the frozen lemongrass from Vietnam, etc. The kelp chips are from Korea. I put a lot of stuff back on the shelf that was from China.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

We have an H Mart about 20 miles from here. It's a giant supermarket that has everything Korean and tons of stuff from other Asian cuisines as well. Run your cursor over the categories in the store gallery section for a series of photos.

Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

It's an amazing place to shop. They also have a food court with various Asian stalls and a bakery. There is an entire department devoted to kim chee. They have animal parts you wouldn't expect to see in a modern market. And some of the best prices for meats. It's the only place around here where I've seen head on shrimp.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Can you post or PM me the Thai papaya salad recipe?
Sure. I'll figure out how to post it without violating copyright.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, andy. i thought it was more of a department store, not a supermarket since it's fairly close to their original supermarkets.

but yes, amazing stuff.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Can you post or PM me the Thai papaya salad recipe?
Here it is: Thai Papaya Salad
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

H Marts are food stores, not department stores. Owned Im pretty sure by the Han ah Rheum people.

We finally got one here and its a mob scene on weekends.

My favorite one is still the Han ah Rheum at the rotary in Little Ferry. That one has the department store attached.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
I only bought stuff not from China. I really wanted to buy some of the dried mushrooms, but they were all products of China. The dried shrimp are from Korea, the frozen lemongrass from Vietnam, etc. The kelp chips are from Korea. I put a lot of stuff back on the shelf that was from China.
I wanted to ask, is there a problem with food from China, or peeled garlic from China, or shark fin soup (ok it is in a box). Have you tried it?

Why poop on a members' shared favorite?

The place I go to is not connected to a Mall. I've gone to other small Asian markets, but they don't have huge tanks of fish/seafood, & don't compare to 99 in the vast selection of food.

Andy, I don't think I would travel 20 miles, or buy dried food online.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We have an H Mart about 20 miles from here. It's a giant supermarket that has everything Korean and tons of stuff from other Asian cuisines as well. Run your cursor over the categories in the store gallery section for a series of photos.

Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

It's an amazing place to shop. They also have a food court with various Asian stalls and a bakery. There is an entire department devoted to kim chee. They have animal parts you wouldn't expect to see in a modern market. And some of the best prices for meats. It's the only place around here where I've seen head on shrimp.
What a difference in the taste of shrimp with and without the heads. I prefer the heads on. Once I get past the eyes staring at me. Yet the lobsters eyes don't bother me at all. Maybe because I have seen them since childhood.