What do you do with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wanted to ask, is there a problem with food from China, or peeled garlic from China, or shark fin soup (ok it is in a box). Have you tried it?

Why poop on a members' shared favorite?

A lot of the food from China is adulterated or raised with poisonous substances that are not legal in the USA. Tilapia are raised in polluted waters, for example.

To obtain shark fins, the fins are cut off the shark while it's still alive and the rest is thrown overboard to die, so it's inhumane and wasteful. It also contains a lot of mercury.

I LOVE the market. Not only do they have live fresh seafood, quite an assortment of produce, but 1000s of other foods that I enjoy. I don't go for the shark fin soup or peeled garlic. LOL The long beans are usually good, as well.

I LOVE the market. Not only do they have live fresh seafood, quite an assortment of produce, but 1000s of other foods that I enjoy. I don't go for the shark fin soup or peeled garlic. LOL The long beans are usually good, as well.

Would love to see it, Cerise! Asian markets fascinate me. We have a tiny one about 30 minutes away from here, and when I go in, I always come out with fun stuff that I'm never sure what to do with, but it's always fun shopping there.

sorry to poo on your parade; i was merely stating an opinion apparently shared by others. edumacation is the key to my opinion.

the garlic isn't as big of a deal, imo, as it only poisons humans. enjoy.

the harvesting of shark fins is plainly wrong. it doesn't matter what species is caught, but they reel in whatever shark bites on their lines, lop off it's fins while it's alive, then allow it to die slowly as it sinks back into the ocean. also, it's done without regard to overfishing any particular species in any area.

most shark meat gets very ammonia smelling within moments of it's death, so the carcasses get discarded rather than eaten. it's best to leave them be or learn how to cut them up quickly to prevent wasted flesh, removing the lateral line and other organs.

please read up on it before you patronize such a business again.

i do a lot of fishing, and every effort is made to return non-edible species to the deep alive, and those taken are immediately killed once hooked.

i've also taught my son to thank the animals we kill for our food for their sacrifice as such, and the earth (ocean or lake) for it's bounty. lol, he even reminded me to do so last spring on the opening day of trout season.

Last edited:
I really would have liked to buy some of the dried mushrooms, but because they ALL came from China, I did not buy them. None of the items I bought were from China. It is an ethical issue for me. The shop carries a number of Canadian products (including smoked tofu), as well as products from Vietnam and other Asian countries. If everything were from China, I would have turned around and walked out. And, the lobster were Canadian, the crab were from the US. Not sure about the squid or the live fish.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom