"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Senior Cook

My problem is ridiculous actually when it comes to books. I tend to forget very simple things - like, sometimes I will drive around saying to myself "I just KNOW that I live SOMEWHERE around here"(seriously,...WHO loses a HOUSE )??!!, but, for the life of me, I cannot forget every little detail of these books that I just love sooo much. Some I have lugged around like an extra appendage nearly 20yrs. now...I just want so desperatly to forget them even just a tiny bit, just so that I can reread them again. My brain plays bad tricks on me sometimes!!
So, unless the end of the world is coming anytime soon, &, if isn't in the dead of winter, &, for survival purposes I have to burn them for heat, I will keep my paper treasures. I will never get a Kindle though. As convenient as they seem, I really actually love the smell of books. Good-book pages actually do smell better the more I like the book! I read fantasy books too BTW. Just GOTTA have a damsel in distress, some magic, dragons, &, even better - TALKIING animals!!
(the other books that I CAN part with though, I have no problem donating to Goodwill, which, I frequently do)

Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

I read a lot. Mostly I use the library. Those books I buy get recycled to another. I keep a very few, mostly reference books. Even those I seldom revisit.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
Everymom

I use the library most of the time, but I have a selection of books I keep. I have just given piles and piles of books to my various workplaces. The kids seem to really enjoy them.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Master Chef

I feel like I'm a person who doesn't really buy too many books (I read WAY too many for my income, so am a real library person), but still have so many books it is ridiculous. I buy books when they're a subject matter I know will take me a long time to read (spacing them with more "fun" reading from the library), or when I'm going on a trip (my husband jokes that the heaviest part of our luggage is my reading bag)(well, probably not a joke).

I still find myself with what seems like tons of books. When I lived other places, I'd find book exchange stores where you could do 2/1; bring in two, exchange for one. But there's nothing remotely like that around here. So now I just donate them to the local library for their annual fund-raiser book sale, and I also volunteer for it. What I best love (when volunteering) is in the last few hours of the sale, people are allowed to come in and grab a bag and fill it as full as they can for $3, or a box for $5. It does my heart good to see those books fly out the door.

Now we're looking at huge shelves full of books we haven't touched in years. Always thinking, well, we'll re-read them some day. Lots are coffee-table-photography books from places we've lived. Even the cook books are getting ridiculous. So, when the library starts its drive in April, I think even some of those books will go. Books you don't read aren't really doing anything, and if the library can get a couple bucks out of them, I'm all for it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
or when I'm going on a trip (my husband jokes that the heaviest part of our luggage is my reading bag)(well, probably not a joke).
Not to make my DH seem a dolt, but, this part of your post reminded me of something...whenever we go somewhere, & I take a book along, he ALWAYS says "you're gonna get sick reading in the car"...It gets me every time...I don't get car sick, &, I can't think of any book that he has read(other than Sporting News & the like), let alone while riding in a car to even get sick in the first place...lucky I love him, but, at times, he seems to be begging for a .
Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Head Chef

We have very little space in our home so I keep very few books, just a couple of favorites and some cookbooks. I have a bookcase full of books that I want to read and when I am done with them I either leave them in the break room at work where they will disappear or i donate them to one of several local charity stores. I used to hate getting rid of books but now i realize that they just collect dust, take up space and end up ultimately making me unhappy if I keep them. If I donate them I get the joy of that plus at some other time I will find the book again at a yard sale or some such place and it is like meeting an old friend again, sometimes they even come home with me to be reread. Either way, as much as I love the feel and smell and look of books in my home at this time I'm just better off sending them on their way to make someone else happy.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

On our long vacation a couple years ago, when I finished a book I left it either in the laundry room or in the bedside drawer with a note that it was free to take.

Barbara
Old 01-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #18
Master Chef

Merlot, so many people I know cannot read while in a car. It makes them car-sick. I don't know how long you've been married that your husband doesn't "get" that it doesn't do that to you! Not only do I travel with a sack of books, I keep one in the pocket of one of the car doors so, if I wind up unexpectedly waiting for an appointment, or if hubby's driving and we're stuck in traffic, I have something to read.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
Master Chef

When we were on the road in truck and camper, many, if not most, campgrounds had book-shelf exchanges in laundry rooms or day-rooms. They were great! Then when we'd hit a community large enough for a used bookstore I'd take a box in and exchange and buy. I didn't realize until late in those years that many libraries sell used books at bargain rates, or I'd do what I do now, as I said, donate books, then buy used ones at incredibly low rates.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Oh Claire, trust me - it has been long enough!! LOL I understand how it could affect some, but...surely not him!! I have even asked him how he would even know? LOL..."just leave me be, let me read this darn book, &, be thankful that I am distracted from your awful driving" is MY perspective. :)