What do you Like on your hotdog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you like on your hot dog?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It all depends on my mood but usually it is just a good spicy brown mustard on the hot-dog or diced tomatoes and sometimes just salsa. Other times I do like chili with cheese and raw onions, grilled onions with cheese or kraut. Slaw is good if I am in that mood. The only thing I refuse to eat on my hot-dog is ketchup!!!! I also prefer dill relish to sweet anyday!!

I love the various regional toppings, but I'd never heard of cole slaw, sounds delicious! I like mine with chili then topped with thin onion rings, not the grilled onions, but the crispy ones with the bread coating that are deep fried, yumm!

JoAnn L. said:
Mustard and onions on the hot dog. But if I cut up a wiener on my plate I like catsup with it.:wacko:
If I eat mine cut up on my plate I like mustard on it, and it HAS to be all beef. If I have a bun, all beef isn't as important. Okay, I'm about to contradict myself! There are some brands of chicken hotdogs that I can eat without a bun if I have to, but I still prefer beef! Others are too "flabby" feeling.

:) Barbara

Generally, it's just ketchup and relish. But, I'm loving all these other ideas!

PHILSFAULT said:
Sauerkraut....Dijon Mustard ... and MY pickled Jalepenos.

I use Bubbies Sauerkraut ( no vinegar ). It's really good for those who don't like the pucker your lips sauerkraut flavor. Instead the bite comes from the pickled jalepenos.
I've not tried Bubbies Sauerkraut, but that sounds like something I'd really like - thanks!!

First it has to be cooked over a open fire. Not boiled!!!
Then you have to have a soft white bread bun kecthup, dill pickles and lots of onions.

Little Miss J said:
I really want a hot dog now....(but its really only breakfast time here!). I like mine with bacon, onion, barbecue sauce and cheese.

That is exactly what I did minutes after the post.... I went and made me a hotdog!!!

Depends on my mood
Sometimes plain
sometime with ketchup

Right now im craving one with ketchup.

Sweet my girlfriend has some!

Last edited:
I buy my Bubbies sauerkraut at "Vons" Supermarket in the cheese aisle.. but just in case you can't find it they actually have a website http://bubbies.com/

jkath said:
I've not tried Bubbies Sauerkraut, but that sounds like something I'd really like - thanks!!

What about cooking methods?
I do four ways.. boiled, grilled (split pan, buter), grilled (charcoal), and microwave.

The microwave method is good believe it ot not, but it is more to it than popping it in and blasting.

First cut long slit in weiner lengthwise and open it up... place on paper napkin and nuke on high 20 seconds.... take it out and insert in bun or on bread slice, apply mustard and sharp yellow cheese, wrap this back in the same napkin snugly like a baby in a blanket and return to microwave... nuke for 21 seconds... perfect.

The wrapping in napkin/dog perfectly steams the bread.

Don't you just hate it when you get a hot dog out somewhere and they put it in a cold bun... ought to be a law against that. I was at a hot dog stand once and he did that. I asked him to warm the bun... he looked at me like I was from outer space- he said hey buddy if I did that way everyone would want it that way... (duh?) I walked away before starting trouble...

JoAnn L. said:
Mustard and onions on the hot dog. But if I cut up a wiener on my plate I like catsup with it.:wacko:
Strange , but I do the same ! Ex H would put salt on a sliced tomato, and sugar on a guartered one !

I love a good chili dog with cheese and raw diced onion.

A polish dog with brown mustard, mayo, and kraut with or without onions.

Regular hot dog: mayo, mustard, dill relish, onions, tomato slices.

My grandmother used to split the hot dot, stuff it with cheddar cheese, wrap it in bacon and cook them in the electric skillet until the bacon was crispy.

Actually, I'll put almost anything on a hot dog BUT catsup and sweet relish.:sick:

Usually though, mustard, mayo, and dill relish.

Ok.. when i go to the hot dog vendors back home LOL heres what i have BRACE yourselfs lol

Cheese
Ket and Mustard
Relish--dill
DILL pickles
Onions
Saurkraut LOTS of it
Tomato
Bacon bits lol i know they are soo bad but soooo good
Corn Relish

I don't like hot dogs.

I prefer an English sausage or Scottish 'square sausage (aka Lorne sausage' on a well-fired breakfast roll, with lashings of HP sauce:)

Ishbel said:
I don't like hot dogs.

I prefer an English sausage or Scottish 'square sausage (aka Lorne sausage' on a well-fired breakfast roll, with lashings of HP sauce:)

HP sauce! That's the stuff - couldn't remember - love that stuff on hamburgers (and lots of other stuff), will have to try it on a good smoked sausage. :LOL::LOL:

Ishbel said:
I don't like hot dogs.

Ishbel, I'm with you on this. I don't even like the look of hotdogs, let alone the weird texture and taste. But hey, that means all the more for the rest of you.

Back
Top Bottom