"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm jealous Wasabi! One day we'll get to go to Hawaii.

We usually take a two week summer vacation. We leave next Saturday to Virginia and Washington, D.C. with the kids. We'll stop by the beach and South Carolina on the way back. We love the driving since we get to sight see while traveling through different states. Other than the vacation, we hit the pool and walk every afternoon to keep the weight off. This summer, my son will do a football camp and my daughter will do an art camp. They're excited!

Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Amusement Parks. Okay one... Cedar Point !!
Go to the Zoo.
Go camping.
Just hang out in the park.
Go to drag races. Won't be the same without dad though :o(
middie, I have not been camping for ages. When I was a kid my family used to go camping alot during the summer. My brother and I used to also campout in our backyard with our sleeping bags, especially on nights that there was a meteor shower. I really miss that. We used to have lots of fun.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

sc, the meteors didn't mind you looking?

i love watching the perseids. nothin' better on a hot, starry, august night.

ok, well, a few things are better, but one of you gets to look up at the stars...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I really wish we could go to Sardinia again, though the forecast doesn't look very good as Cris is loaded with too much work... (Here are some of the images I took last year...)

There is Ostia, stretch of a beach easily accessible from Rome, but after being spoiled by the crystal clear water of Sardinia... ehm... it doesn't look quite appealing...

Maybe for a consolation we may go to the south of Napoli (the area of Salerno) for a bit of camping, as the water there is much better down there.

In Sardinia 3 years ago I learned to snorkel offshore (which is really a quantum leap for me, I could never even consider going into a deep end where I can't stand up and leave my head above the water before!!), I would like somehow to keep up with my newly acquired summertime hobby!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:22 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i love watching the perseids. nothin' better on a hot, starry, august night

Bucky I do that every year as long as the weather aloows me too. Nothing worse then looking forward to it all summer and it rains the whole time.
Grrrrrrrr
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
Master Chef

Yeah, Wasabi -- but that isn't a summer activity, it is almost year-round!!! One year I caught the flu, and was sick through the holidays. When I recovered (15 lbs thinner, I might add) I packed my bikini and we did an impromptu new years day/night on the beach.

Here in the land of four seasons, favorite summer activities include sitting on our porch or those of neighbors, sipping wine; walking around town; putzing in the garden. Towards the end of summer it will be chowing down on great tomatoes. I went "camping" for three years, so it has lost all glamour, and after Hawaii, then owning my own pool for 6 years, swimming just isn't the fun it used to be. Sometimes you just get too spoiled, and when it comes to water, I am.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

We do mostly day trips and weekends in the summer. We had a picnic in Rockport, MA over the holiday weekend at a state park on the ocean. We both really enjoyed that.

We try to go to a couple of BBQ or chili festivals in our area. There's a good one in Vermont in July at the Harpoon Brewery.

We'll be entertaining our 12 year-old granddaughter for a couple of weeks so there's probably a couple of day trips/movies/shopping trips there as well.

I'm trying to convince SO that we should drive to Quebec or Montreal some time.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #18
Executive Chef

PeppA keeps talking about going to Cedar Point. She's been talking about it for years. I don't know when/if we'll ever go.

Personally, I like to go to the local swimming hole, with my water-proof metal detector, and try to find some lost jewelry.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:01 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Go to the beach
Mountain Climb
Anything outside
Anything with my boyfriend