"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

What do you "notice" about TV chefs?

I take in a lot when watching all of them.
Love their shows, most of the time, and each one of them is different.

So, watching Anne Burrell right now. Like her show, didn't like her version of Bolognese sauce but Tivo her show so I can view later if missed.

So here's what I notice about Anne Burrell. She's funny, has a different style of the way she dresses, I won't remember anything about her TV kitchen ever, and she growls. When she talks, she growls a lot to emphasize.

Sara Moulton uses a phrase, "any rate".

Emeril seems less easy when he's on camera.

Mario is at ease in front of the camera.

Rachel seems to be very comfortable in front of the camera.

Do you notice things about your viewing of TV chefs?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I just watched Anne Burrell as well. She has some style and personality. I noticed she is almost constantly talking. I agree she seems to have some fun with her cooking.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I love watching Giadia. As petite and lovely as she is, her hands are more peasant-like and strong. I'm a hand watcher from way back. From orchestra conductors, to musicians, to speakers, knitters/crocheters to chefs/cooks.
And I like to watch ...shoot, his name just escaped me...(Rick Bayless) the guy that adores mexican food. I really enjoy watching him. He does everything with such ease, and really knows how to bring out the best in the foods he works with and the story behind all those foods, and makes the listener/viewer enjoy it too.
I just wish he was working with a different type of cuisine, as I'm not that fond of mexican food. (too spice for my gut. and the old dislike of beans thing)
And of course, Bastianich. "Let me taste this for you."
LOL!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Senior Cook

TV cooking shows

Tyler Florence (on Tyler's Ultimate) talks too fast and needs to slow down and relax more.

I really enjoy watching Guy Fieri on Guy's Big Bite. I prefer his shows when he is alone. Sometimes his buddies distract from the focus on cooking.

Paula Deen is a kick to watch on her Paula's Home Cooking show.

I enjoy the fun that Rachel Ray seems to have cooking on her 30 Minute Meals show.

My very favorite TV cook is Giada DeLaurentiis on Everyday Italian. She explains and shows everything as she cooks.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I notice when a chef has a true passion for their ingredients/dishes like Jamie Oliver, its like they wish they can just grab you through the TV so you can smell this also, or taste that...makes you KNOW why they are in the industry!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
I love watching Giadia. As petite and lovely as she is, her hands are more peasant-like and strong. I'm a hand watcher from way back. From orchestra conductors, to musicians, to speakers, knitters/crocheters to chefs/cooks.
And I like to watch ...shoot, his name just escaped me...the guy that adores mexican food. I really enjoy watching him. He does everything with such ease, and really knows how to bring out the best in the foods he works with and the story behind all those foods, and makes the listener/viewer enjoy it too.
I just wish he was working with a different type of cuisine, as I'm not that fond of mexican food. (too spice for my gut. and the old dislike of beans thing)
And of course, Bastianich. "Let me taste this for you."
LOL!
I love to watch Lidia too, she is such a wonderful authenic cook in making everything. I adore her restaurant too.
I think Rick Bayless is who loves and does Mexican food. I like him too and tape him also
Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

giada grins too hugely!!!
i met rick bayless. he seemed stressed & distracted.
kat cora seems strong & confident.
&i love sara moulton. she squints often, maybe reading her prompts.

& dear Julia Child smoothed over so well. loved her!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My sons seem to notice a lot of things about Giada, but none of them have to do with cooking!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Executive Chef

speaking of Giada, I did not know she gave birth. was watching her today and noticed that she was wearing a not typical shirt. not Giada style at all, usually they're very clea^age-y and um, well you know. this one was sort of empire loosey goosey, I love her smile but my husband thinks otherwise too.

about Rick Bayless, not surprised as he comes across as mild mannered on television to me anyway, so maybe he's not in real life.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

I notice that Kat Cora is least selected among the Iron Chefs. She must be tough to beat or the guys are just afraid of losing to her. I like most of the TV chefs, and won't expound on the ones I don't care for (I live in a glass house so I won't throw stones).

JoeV