"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I wish I lived nearby, I'd do it for nothing! I like other people's kids!

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
My kid (14) gets $6 an hour, and that is below the average of $10 or so that I hear is more the norm around here.

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Banana Brain

Nowadays it seems standard- at least here- to give the babysitter a reasonable salery. When I was a kid my mom would give the babysitter working minimum wage of $6.50 an hour. But we were a really rough bunch anyways, and if I were babysitting us I wouldn't have done it for less than ten.
Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes' enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet. -Julia Child
Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
Hospitality Queen
Around here, college aged kids make around $10 per hour. Something to consider too: ask if they also regularly babysit other kids as well. If they do, you may want to look elsewhere. Reason being that if they're babysitting little Johnny who has green sludge coming out of his nose, guess what Sofie will have in 48 hours? ick.

I'm lucky now - my older boy is 13, so I pay him to watch his brother if I have an appt or other obligation. He charges me $1.50 per hour. I told him if he keeps up the good work, once he's 14, he can charge double that for any of my friends who need sitters. (they can't wait!)
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Sofie's now 8 months old (as of today *snif*) and my parents are the only babysitters she's ever had. We're thinking of trying her out with a babysitter, for a brief afternoon--we'll go out to lunch maybe. We have someone in mind we'll ask, the daughter of my mom's friend. She's going into college and works another job but loves kids so still likes to sit when she can. With Sof still being so young, I like that she's a little older.

What do babysitters charge these days? The last I knew, when I was sitting in junior high, I made $2 an hour plus all the soda I wanted to drink! I have a feeling it's a little different these days!
I think the going rate is about $5-$6 per hour for high school kids. If I had to do it over again, and could afford it, I wouldnt have a stranger babysit. I've done the registered daycare for a set fee each week, I've done the elderly woman, I've done the college age person. None of it was good according to my daughter. I wouldnt use a babysitter for a baby that cannot talk unless they are a reliable family member.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #16
PA, I teach babysitting courses to 12 year olds and here they start at about $2 - $3 per hour per child. As they get older they may up their rates.

Couple of thoughts for you:
- ask for references, and CHECK them.
- interview your sitter, and meet their parent
- make sure whoever you hire has had some kind of training in the basics

Good luck!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:19 AM   #17
Head Chef
Jess my 14 yr old babysits for her sister's friends (6 year olds and their siblings) she gets $7 an hour australian but I know of people paying older girls $10-15. Jess is very sensible and competent and used to younger children so the families she sits for are very happy and use her regularly although now that she works at McDonalds she hasn't as much time.At McD's she gets $6.50 an hour.
Sometimes I think someone sensible around 14 can be better than an older girl with a boyfriend who may spend the whole time on the phone or sneak him in. I would make sure the person had experience with young children and got on well with sofie when you were there before you leave her.
Congrats on 8 months! Riley is 8 weeks today, doesn't it go far too fast??
There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:04 AM   #18
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
About $5.00 an hour

Erik is offline   Reply With Quote