"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Just give me my own show.
Uh, . . . is there a petition we can sign? I promise to be your most loyal viewer.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thank you, skillet. I appreciate your loyalty and enjoy much of that from my readers. If this doesn't make sense to you, please look at my "profile."

Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I am REALLY into food, and have been since I left home almost 40 years ago. I mean, really, really into food.

That said, I have no interest in celebrity chefs, absolutely none, zero, zip, nada. Could not care less. Not the least bit interested in what they do.

This forum is probably one of the best places for me to learn what I need to learn about cooking.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I try to remember that everyone starts somewhere,

and if some of the celebrity chefs seem too much personality and to little in the skill dept, I just think of my son and one of my grandsons. They actually enjoyed some of the cooking shows. The ones that seem simple and cute to many people are really just perfect for the beginning cook. And everyone is a beginner at some point, even if they start at 3 or 4. My son would see something on T.V. and want to make his own version. He learned just as I did from the variety of shows. I started watching Julia Child as a pre teen and have been watching and learning from TV chefs ever since. TV is the only place I have an opportunity to learn from ANY of these people so I take advantage of it.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I usually enjoy watching them IF they are a chef. Many so-called "celebrity chefs" are not chefs. They are TV personalities with a cooking show.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
bethzaring and lizannd and iron chef i agree with all 3 of you
while i grew up admiring julia child and jacques pepin and martin yan
and used their books to further my skills
rarely these days do i find a chef who i will go out and grab their cookbooks
it's all hit and run and flim flam
here today gone tomorrow
the ones that endure are the ones i am concerned with
and the ones that had sucessful restaurants and then get a show
but the ones that never had a restaurant or did not have successful restaurants but had the personality required for the show, those guys irk me
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
Executive Chef

It seems that many cooking shows are mostly for entertainment now rather than serious cooking. I suppose they do get some interested in cooking who wouldn't do so otherwise. I pick the ones I watch by what I may actually make. If exotic ingredients are used that I know won't get much use, I don't watch them and if the food is too rich and something I know we shouldn't indulge ourselves, I stay away from that too. I'm not a health nut, but don't want to do myself in with a fork and spoon.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #18
Master Chef

Some good, some just flash. Some were good, but let the 'flash' overshadow real cooking, their "personalities" now get in the way (for example, I like Emeril's low-keyed shows he occaisionally does, but have heard "bam" way too many times so don't watch him mutch). And if the "chef" is so skinny she can disappear behind the pot she's boiling pasta in, I have a hard time taking her seriously.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
And if the "chef" is so skinny she can disappear behind the pot she's boiling pasta in, I have a hard time taking her seriously.
I find that an odd statement. Shouldn't a chef know how to prepare and eat properly so as to maintain a healthy weight and not be overweight?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
And if the "chef" is so skinny she can disappear behind the pot she's boiling pasta in, I have a hard time taking her seriously.
I sometimes find it difficult taking a heavy chef seriously even when what they prepare is nutritionally balanced, etc. However, I also find it hard to warm up to a thin one who cooks what I would consider questionably nutritious and/or calorie-laden dishes.

Having said that, I don't judge anyone on their physical size because we really have no clue what got them to be large, small or in between.

For example, my father was 6'3" and never weighed more than 165 pounds. He ate constantly and a lot. He loved ice cream and never went to bed at night without having a soup bowl of it. He definitely would've disappeared behind the "boiling pasta pot."

Just my take.