"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I'm not much of a fan of "celebrity" chefs. I'm old school - Julia Child etc. like others have mentioned. However, when we went to New York recently we ate inn Bobby Flay's place Americain and it was delicious. Since then I have started watching him more and become a fan.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The size of a chef may catch my eye but it certainly doesn't make me distrust them - either way. We don't know their family history i.e., are they destined to be thin, or heavier? What I concentrate on is what they are cooking. I enjoy watching something because it is soooooooo way out there and I know I will never cook anything like it so I enjoy watching it at least. I also enjoy watching someone who makes the most simplistic things, as a lot of times these dishes are too often overlooked. However, "easy on the eyes" be it male or female, certainly makes the show more pleasant.

I certainly don't rule all of them out as unworthy to watch just because they are celebrity chefs - I would have missed out on some great recipes that have become some of my family's favorites. But star-struck - no, I'm not. However, I may reconsider if Tyler Florence was standing beside me

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
Head Chef

I hope kitchenelf doesn't get too mad at me but since the size of chef and Tyler Florence have both been mentioned in the same thread, doesn't he seem to have grown quite a bit lately?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

I am very much in the same boat as Kitchenelf.

For me it is the food. If I enjoy what they are cooking, be it very simplistic or amazingly complicated or anywhere in between, then I will enjoy watching the show. Everything else is extra. If the chef non-chef is good looking then that is a plus. I enjoy watching Mario Batali though and he is not what I would consider easy on the eyes though. I enjoy Rachael Ray because a lot of what she has made really appeals to me. I could care less that she is not a "real" chef. Some of the cooking shows I have seen on PBS just showed the food itself. You never even saw the chef. There was a narrator, but it was not the chef. It was really just about the food. Those shows were great too.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
some people have a certain Flair for certain foods, and as long the camera pays more attn to the pots and pans and the Mic is getting good instructions fed to it, I`m happy.
we Know what the person looks and sounds like, now lets cut to the chase and get Cooking!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Well since T.V. Food Show and Celebrity Chef bashing is prohibited here, and I don't want Miss Elf sending me to the woodshed, I shall pass on this one.

I'm not going to bash anyone. However, as a chef and cooking teacher for more than 25 years, it makes me sad to see culinary celebrities made of some people who barely know how to cook, and don't know how to hold a knife properly. If some interested home cooks would take a good look at the food shows on PBS, they would see an entirely different sort of celebrity chef.... All those I've seen (Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Ming Tsai, et al) are knowledgeable, talented chefs and teachers with real information to pass along.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I'm not going to bash anyone. However, as a chef and cooking teacher for more than 25 years, it makes me sad to see culinary celebrities made of some people who barely know how to cook, and don't know how to hold a knife properly. If some interested home cooks would take a good look at the food shows on PBS, they would see an entirely different sort of celebrity chef.... All those I've seen (Jacques Pepin, Lidia Bastianich, Ming Tsai, et al) are knowledgeable, talented chefs and teachers with real information to pass along.
I'm not going to bash anyone either, I hope. I'm a home cook with no interest in becoming a professional. I've learned a lot from the Chefs ChefJune mentioned above as well as some of the Pros on Food Network but I've also gotten a lot out of a few of the amateurs with TV shows. One of the best of these was recently on PBS called Daisy Cooks. I think Daisy Martinez has had some formal training but in my opinion she is clearly a home cook. The culinary professionals among us may not learn much from her show but I did and I strongly recommend it. The half-hour time slot directly before Daisy was filled locally by another cooking show by another home cook. It was called [her first name] Cooks. That show, from my very humble perspective, represented the opposite end of the spectrum. If anybody cares what [her first name] is, send me a PM. Mods, if I haven't avoided "bashing", at least you gotta give me an E for effort.

By the way, my nomination for the best all time cooking show by an amateur cook is Julia Child's, The French Chef.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
By the way, my nomination for the best all time cooking show by an amateur cook is Julia Child's, The French Chef.
Julia Child was not a chef, but she in NO WAY was an amateur cook. There are many of us who are professional cooks but are not chefs. Chefs run restaurants or catering businesses. Julia was the consummate teacher, on screen and off, and a fine food writer... to say nothing of the fact that she was also a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, Paris.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I enjoy alot of the celebrity chef shows, and I have learned from some of them. It doesn't seem to matter to me what they look like, some of the better looking ones are not hosting the shows I enjoy. My husband does like Nigella alot and he doesn't care a wit about cooking.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #30
Master Chef

[QUOTE]I think Daisy Martinez has had some formal training but in my opinion she is clearly a home cook.[/QUOTE]FYI. Daisy Martinez may look like a home cook on the set of her show, but here is an excerpt from her bio: "Prior to entering the food world, she was an actress and model. A surprise birthday gift of culinary school from her husband Jerry led to her matriculating at the French Culinary Institute in 1998.

Shortly after graduation, she worked on the set of PBS' Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen as a prep-kitchen chef, and as a private chef in New York City. In addition, she managed a small catering business, “The Passionate Palate”, which she continues to operate. "