What do you think of celebrity chefs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironchef said:
I've never listened to Alton Brown. For the definitive answer on the science behind food, I usually always refer to Harold McGee.

Good choice, IC! My first reference is Shirley Corriher, but that's largely because we've been friends for more than 20 years, and when I need a quick answer, I call her up! :ermm: (I know... lucky me! ;) )

ChefJune said:
Good choice, IC! My first reference is Shirley Corriher, but that's largely because we've been friends for more than 20 years, and when I need a quick answer, I call her up! :ermm: (I know... lucky me! ;) )

That is a nice luxury to have. It would be nice to have a lot of people on speed dial: Harold McGee, Wylie Dufresne, Alain Ducasse, etc.

Katie E, my dad, too, could eat tons of food and was (and IS) very skinny (he doesn't eat so much any more). He used to eat a big bowl of ice cream every night, with a half a can of fruit (in syrup) dumped on it. Then sometime during the evening he'd fry a few slices of cheese. Then sometime during the evening he'd have a bowl of cereal (yes, whole milk). Oh, how about the beer he loves? But us girls (Mom and the four of us girls, and both of my grandmothers) can gain weight watching him eat. I do recognise there are women born lucky when it comes to metabolism (I actually had a freind who had to drink a milkshake or instant breakfast with every meal). But my intellectual knowlege and my feelings are two different things. I want a chef to be larger than the pot they cook in. I want them to look like they enjoy eating. I don't mean obese (aka, Prudhomme in his worst days). Just to look like they might have had a sandwich for lunch and a glass of wine with dinner.

Then there are folk who are what we used to call (in the military) "Talking Heads". They never actually were cooks, chefs, amatuers, family cooks, etc. They look good and get the job because they know someone. I've even actually heard one of them admit they do not cook at home. So all they do is pose around the food. And I don't think any of the celebrity chefs (including several I love to watch) actually cook at their restaurants any more. They coordinate recipes and locations and TV shows. Some I like, some I don't, some I like in one format but not another.

eh, i'm more towards channnel 42- women's network- than that food television. or discoveryhealth.

Back
Top Bottom