"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Chicago is a great eating town. Any kind of ethnic food is available, usually prepared by natives of the cuisine you are after. Plus the foo-foo places like Charlie Trotter's joints and others, plus the best pizza and Italian beef on the planet.

sheesh, I'm homesick.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #32
Master Chef

I agree that Chicago is a great eating town. When we go there (infrequently, it's a 3+ hour drive) we immediately start researching to find our favorite little ethnic places. Madison is a good eating town as well, and lots closer. I suspect most college towns are good eating places, most have an influx of foreign students, teachers, etc and a more adventurous population in general. So when we really have a yen for Thai, Indian, etc, we drive the 90 min or so to go to Madison, shop at Whole Foods, hit all the bookstores, and find Asian food of some sort.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #33
Master Chef

We have a lot of fastfood resturants in the neighboring town with a few larger chains....nothing worth mentioning really though. There are a few family owned businesses but only one that is worth mentioning and it is an awesome authentic mexican resturant.....I love going there. I so wished we'd get some ethnic resturants that didn't fall into the chain catagory. A real mom and pop Italian resturant would be wonderful. One where the family is all involved. The whole red and white checker table clothes and candles on the table. I envy those who have access to a variety.....say like those that live in Chicago and New York. But then again I'd be broke and 50 pounds heavier if I had access to all those wonderful places to eat....hee hee.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:19 AM   #34
Senior Cook

More places that are not pubs or nightclubs that are open late. Every thing closes early here.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Too many bars here. We have 2 restaraunts and they both suck. I'd like to see a really nice family oriented restaraunt. Not a chain restaraunt.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:23 AM   #36
Executive Chef

We have good pubs, restaurants and coffee shops - great museums, art galleries and wonderful shops - as well as 2 castles and a palace..... Edinburgh is perhaps one of the prettiest capital cities in the world! The only thing I would get rid of would be the many tourist shops which clutter the Royal Mile - oh and the absolutely AWFUL piper who stands in Princes Street from 10.00 am - 4.00 pm ALL WEEK during the summer and makes LOADS and LOADS of dosh from tourists (who, frankly, cannot tell whether or not he's playing well, but just want their photographs taken with a man in a kilt!)
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Here in Fresno, we have just about any kind you can think of some are great
and some I would take my dog too. with all the rednecks and hillbillies that
are here that includes me. I would like to see a Bob Evans even if it is a
chain store I like there food. and a couple of soulfood places. we probably
per capita have more mexican stores than we do churches. I love that
mexican food.