What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made several more of the large plant flower coasters -- some with a yellow center and white petals, gold center with white petals, yellow center with dark green leaves. I'll make a few more of the smaller drink coaster sizes next.

got the sleeves in lilly's dress today. spent more time on yoyo's. i think the little gadget i bought makes it harder. will go back to old way. i know how to do that. ruffle on the bottom, tomorrow and then only buttons to do. wish i knew how to put a picture on line. maybe i will ask my granddaughter.

So impressed by everyone's sewing machine skills!!

I'm just starting so it's the safe (but all the rage apparently *cheeky grin*) option for me -bunting. Hopefully will be finished in time for my mum's summer BBQs.

got the sleeves in lilly's dress today. spent more time on yoyo's. i think the little gadget i bought makes it harder. will go back to old way. i know how to do that. ruffle on the bottom, tomorrow and then only buttons to do. wish i knew how to put a picture on line. maybe i will ask my granddaughter.

I do hope your granddaughter can help you out -- I'd love to see your creations. And what the yoyo's look like (??) - apparently not round wooden thingies with strings.

tinlizzie, no, yoyos are made with small circles of fabric. basically it is gathering the circle and pulling in gathers. forms a little rosette . goggle how to make and it shows pictures as well as method . they are used for decorations on fabric, on purses, quilts, decorative pillows, etc. used to be very very popular.

babetoo said:
tinlizzie, no, yoyos are made with small circles of fabric. basically it is gathering the circle and pulling in gathers. forms a little rosette . goggle how to make and it shows pictures as well as method . they are used for decorations on fabric, on purses, quilts, decorative pillows, etc. used to be very very popular.

Grandma used to make these all of the time. It was fun to help her! She made me a doll with them once. Great memories babe!

One Google, coming up - thanks. But I have to say I feel kinda foolish saying the words -- Gonna Google Yoyos.

Stranger in a Land that these days is sounding Stranger and Stranger all the time.

I've been reading through this thread. I'm not really the artsy-craftsy type, but I've been making homemade wine for about 10 years now. I have 24 vines in the backyard and also belong to a group of home winos that truck in several tons of grapes from California in the fall. I make about 150 gallons of the stuff every year. I guess winemaking is kind of artsy in a way, right?

img_1009746_0_83072d2c494ed3eaf0276a30433fedd6.jpg

img_1009746_1_4b968d89a38f03a0159ff62987094fa3.jpg

Steve Kroll said:
I've been reading through this thread. I'm not really the artsy-craftsy type, but I've been making homemade wine for about 10 years now. I have 24 vines in the backyard and also belong to a group of home winos that truck in several tons of grapes from California in the fall. I make about 150 gallons of the stuff every year. I guess winemaking is kind of artsy in a way, right?

Absolutely Steve! We make wine too and beer, but we aren't as skilled as you seem to be as we use juice and aren't high-Tec with oak barrels, just carboys. Would love to try from grapes though.

Steve, it is a wonderful craft to make wine! You are so organized, and I am sure creative! Your bottles are lined up just so! Most creative crafty people aren't quite so organized, but you may start a trend! :ROFLMAO:

I'd love to make wine but very few grapes grow here. We tried beer once, did okay, it was just too much work and $$ though for the small amount we ended up with. We do make our own Limoncello though. Course all that involves is zesting a whole bunch of lemons and making a thick simple syrup, mixing and bottling. LOL, not really anything to brag about doing but it sure does taste good.

Update on my Cluny, I didn't get a whole lot done since April. I wasn't able to work on it for several weeks because a stray cat decided to come into our home when I had the sliding door open going in and out, ran upstairs, got under 1 of the beds and in trying to get it out, I got bit. Nearly took off a good chunk of my thumb tip and back. So, got to do the ER thing, tetanus, 2 heavy duty antibiotics, pain meds, etc. I was spared rabies shots though because it turns out the cat belonged to a neighbor down the street with the same type house as ours and the cat had been missing for nearly a month and for some reason apparently thought our house was its home. Fortunately, the flesh reattached itself, the pain is basically gone unless I accidentally smack it just the right way, and the sensation is almost back to normal now though I still have a hard welt of scar tissue on the tip but even that is slowly getting better.

Karen

tapestry+6-10-11.jpg

Last edited:
That is just so beautiful, MedTrans. Thanks for the nice picture. I'd love to see it again as you make progress.

I'd love to make wine but very few grapes grow here. We tried beer once, did okay, it was just too much work and $$ though for the small amount we ended up with. We do make our own Limoncello though. Course all that involves is zesting a whole bunch of lemons and making a thick simple syrup, mixing and bottling. LOL, not really anything to brag about doing but it sure does taste good.

Update on my Cluny, I didn't get a whole lot done since April. I wasn't able to work on it for several weeks because a stray cat decided to come into our home when I had the sliding door open going in and out, ran upstairs, got under 1 of the beds and in trying to get it out, I got bit. Nearly took off a good chunk of my thumb tip and back. So, got to do the ER thing, tetanus, 2 heavy duty antibiotics, pain meds, etc. I was spared rabies shots though because it turns out the cat belonged to a neighbor down the street with the same type house as ours and the cat had been missing for nearly a month and for some reason apparently thought our house was its home. Fortunately, the flesh reattached itself, the pain is basically gone unless I accidentally smack it just the right way, and the sensation is almost back to normal now though I still have a hard welt of scar tissue on the tip but even that is slowly getting better.

Karen

tapestry+6-10-11.jpg

could you explain to me what the process is that you are doing. also what the finished product is used for? i have never seen this type of work before. always interested in new things.

Thanks all.

Steve, the hardest part of making limoncello is waiting for the zest to impart its flavor to the grain alcohol (at least a week) before you can finish and drink it!

Babetoo, it's petit point. The finished size is about 5" x 6" and it's on 40 stitches per square inch silk gauze. You follow a charted design as you stitch with 1 strand of emboridery thread. This particular piece will go in a castle dollhouse one day that is yet to be built or even planned. I just like to stitch, you kind of zone out and it's relaxing except when you make a mistake and get to go back and pick it out! LOL.

I came up with an idea for getting some nice fabric. I had seen a pretty quilt at Walmart last month, and took a closer look at it the last time I was there, but instead of a bed set, it was only the quilt, with shams sold separately. After I got home, I realized the shams would be a good source of material. ($6)

Previously, I had taken one I had as part of a set, and made a cover for my sewing machine with it. It got used later as a cover for a folded old pillow I needed for my lower back, and matched the spread I had used to cover the old recliner, so I still need a cover for the sewing machine.

There are several colors and styles available so that's my next little project. Not a big one, but the sewing machine needs a cover. It just looks so naked just sitting there, and it's gathering dust. If I were to put it away, I'd never get anything sewn.

Last edited:
Decorating

Today was Walmart shopping, day after payday.

All the bills are paid for the next month.:clap:

I bought two different quilted pattern pillow shams, and went ahead and bought the quilt I liked. I had to get full/queen size because that’s what they had. It looks good on the bed with the excess fabric tucked under the opposite side of the bed.

The other sham, that I got for the new sewing machine cover, is a different quilt pattern. The colors mix well with the present color scheme, and has added the next dimension.

It coordinates well with some colors I already have, and brings them out.

It’s like a color wheel turning, adding a little light orange, a promise of fall.

The bouquet of fake flowers is back in the living room, adding it’s orangey red yellows to the mix.

I’m having so much fun!

Last edited:
sounds like fun!! i had a lousy day. had to make ties for the dress, twice. followed the pattern and there was no way it was going to turn while that narrow. so cut two more twice as wide. worked well, but a lot of time wasted. maybe tomorrow will go well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom