What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tomorrow is p day. princess bridal dress. airel to be exact. lots of parts but none than appear to hard. just a tiny bit scary though. have never sewn with slippery satin before. so wish me luck, that my skills are up to the task.

I had to sew a satin blouse for my 4-H project in high school...my last project before I aged out. I used that Iron on binding, the kind that washes out in the first wash...thin strips of it ironed between the pieces to hold them steady. It worked a charm.

i spent three hours cutting out this dress. still not finished. lots of parts. one more for skirt to do, and then cut out all the contrast. hope the sewing goes faster than the cutting. my new scissors are wonderful though

I'm working an elastic through the waistband of a pair of men's dockers that almost fit me. The waistband is apparently hollow the whole length, I'm just using a largish safety pin and have it just past halfway.

I'll have to get out my pile of mending/alterations to see what prep work, basting, or ripping out, that I can do while watching Project Runway's season kickoff tonight.

tomorrow i will start on the bodice of my ariel bride's dress. i have read and reread the instructions. i think i have it down pat. cut the ruffle from the contrast today. so all the parts are ready. wish me luck. i have a vision of how it should go. actually this is the most complex part of the whole dress. the rest is simple sewing and gathering.

You'll do fine, Babe.

I’m making a collage of leaves for a wall decoration.

My African Mask plants (three in one pot) was losing a leaf for each new one that grew. They got really yellow, so I snipped them off. I put them in books to dry. I found them one by one as I read the books, and set them on a table where they just sat and looked pretty.

I ran across a plastic placemat that I had cut into two mats and decided to lay the leaves out on one of them.

It looks so good that I’m going to glue them in place and hang on the wall with some Velcro.

I’ve got plaster walls here, and nails just don’t work.

Actually, I think I’ll go look up that other mat and start the next one. There’s one leaf that got burned some, and it’s going to be the next to go, so I’ll have the makings for another one.

I’ll also pick up another mat or two at Walmart next week. I saw some still there.

bodice is done and will put sleeves in tomorrow. they are all ready to just gather and sew. then the rest is straight sewing. your project sounds cool. not much sewing today. baby sat the two great granddaughters for couple hours and that did me in.

babetoo said:
bodice is done and will put sleeves in tomorrow. they are all ready to just gather and sew. then the rest is straight sewing. your project sounds cool. not much sewing today. baby sat the two great granddaughters for couple hours and that did me in.

Oh my. I bet it did, Babe! Sleep well!

no sewing again today, had kids again. to hot with no a.c. for me to sew anyway.

did spend a lot of time on line looking for an appliqué instruction book. will make a alphabet book for the two year old for christmas. last time i did any was a counting book about twenty five years ago for oldest granddaughter. need to brush up just a bit. i think i remember most of the little tricks.

now that the saga of the princess dress is over, i have a couple projects. got a pattern for a one hour scarf. knitted on very large needles with two rolls of yarn at the same time.

also i save the containers from crystal lite drinks. i cover them with pretty paper or fabric. and use as pencil and pen holders.i will be using fabric. kinda fun to do:ermm: and people love em.

what are you guys up to?:cool:

Last edited:
Aside from hunting and fishing, I carve leath
39817-albums371-picture2991.jpg
er when in the mood.

salt and pepper said:
Aside from hunting and fishing, I carve leather when in the mood.

Ah! There it is! I have done a good bit of wood carving,never leather, other than putting a new hole in a belt. Are the tools similar?

Sorry bout the disappearing act , I resized the pic.
Its a archery arm guard. I use leather carving tools and swivel knives to carve. It took about 3 hours to carve.

Last edited:
Sorry bout the disappearing act , I resized the pic.
Its a archery arm guard. I use leather carving tools and swivel knives to carve. It took about 3 hours to carve.

Did you do the artwork too?

I carved leather for awhile, many years ago. I'd love to take it up again, but these apartments have thin walls and the noise would bother the neighbors.:wacko:

That's great S&P and perfect for this thread! I only have one hobby, pushing my luck...no good pictures of that!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom