What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just one more and I woun't bother you g
39817-albums371-picture2992.jpg
uys any more.

Please, it's not a bother at all. We really love seeing others' creations. Show 'em off!

lilly's second birthday is oct. 5. racked my brain for a gift. none of the plastic toys appeal to me. i don't think they are played with for very long. so. i have some fabric and a cute pattern , think i will just run up the dress this coming week. fairly simple and i should finish in time. i have several really cute appliqués and will put on inexpensive t.shirts for her. i promise , no complaining on this one.

am knitting a scarf with thick and quick yarn. fits and starts though, it bores me quickly.

I think I have finally found a way to get myself motivated to sew.

On my visit to Walmart last week I was astonished to find FABRIC!!! Lots of it, pretty prints. I immediately placed an order with JoAnn Fabrics for a pattern for a scrubs top. I wanted a simple tunic pull over, and while the scrubs isn't quite what I wanted, it was closer than any other pattern I could find.

Checking the yardage this morning, I noticed that the pattern (Simplicity 5443) also has a scrunchy. I've been trying to find instructions for those for years. I never did figure out an easy way to do it, I should have the actual pattern in my hands tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'm getting psyched!

This coming spring, I"ll at last be starting the construction of a full-scale hydroponic vegetable gardening setup. I'm going to build a screened in, 20' x 20' greenhouse elevated 3' from the ground and having a 12' peaked roof.

the accepted and proven maximum poundage of produce in this type of greenhouse is 7 pounds per/sq/ft/month. I'm going to aim for 10 pounds. I have the hydroponic units designed already and will put them into production starting about May first, I hope.

Building the platform for the greenhouse will be the hardest part. I'll be using a power driller for the post holes. I'm too old to dig them by hand.

When it's built and ready for planting, I'll start a thread so the growth of the veggies can be tracked and watched.

This will be a blast!

I"ll be using several types of hydroponic methods; Ebb and Flow, and cascading Nutrient Flow Technique (NFT) will be the primary systems.

On my visit to Walmart last week I was astonished to find FABRIC!!! Lots of it, pretty prints. I immediately placed an order with JoAnn Fabrics for a pattern for a scrubs top. I wanted a simple tunic pull over, and while the scrubs isn't quite what I wanted, it was closer than any other pattern I could find.

Checking the yardage this morning, I noticed that the pattern (Simplicity 5443) also has a scrunchy. I've been trying to find instructions for those for years. I never did figure out an easy way to do it, I should have the actual pattern in my hands tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'm getting psyched!

The next time we have a scrubs swap, I'm going to grab a bunch of the older (comfy) scrub tops and pants for lazywear. I think they would be perfect for cleaning clothes, too!

I'm getting psyched!
Just out of curiosity, why did you have to order the pattern? Is there no local store? Do you live in the boonies? Just wondering.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to order the pattern? Is there no local store? Do you live in the boonies? Just wondering.

Actually, kind of. It's many miles and I don't drive. The bus requires too much walking (PAD).

It was quick and easy online and will arrive in my mailbox in a couple of days. Plus, I needed a few little tools and they were available too. No walking, no searching, no finding a pattern and they don't have my size. No hassle.:LOL:

I even kept looking and found another pattern from Amazon that I like too. It is also on order now. I like this.

If I'd taken the bus, my back and legs would be hurting bad, and I'd be totally worn out for the rest of the day.

i often order patterns on line. mostly the ones the store does not carry anymore. always a great price on discontinued ones. and i found the princess dress pattern on line, none of stores had any i wanted.

This coming spring, I"ll at last be starting the construction of a full-scale hydroponic vegetable gardening setup. I'm going to build a screened in, 20' x 20' greenhouse elevated 3' from the ground and having a 12' peaked roof.

the accepted and proven maximum poundage of produce in this type of greenhouse is 7 pounds per/sq/ft/month. I'm going to aim for 10 pounds. I have the hydroponic units designed already and will put them into production starting about May first, I hope.

Building the platform for the greenhouse will be the hardest part. I'll be using a power driller for the post holes. I'm too old to dig them by hand.

When it's built and ready for planting, I'll start a thread so the growth of the veggies can be tracked and watched.

This will be a blast!

I"ll be using several types of hydroponic methods; Ebb and Flow, and cascading Nutrient Flow Technique (NFT) will be the primary systems.

Wow, Timothy! When you start a project, it's a sure-enough project. I hope you'll be taking and posting photos all along the way. I admire your ambition and will bait my breath for the next bulletin. :)

My local organic farm lady grows her veggies hydroponically in white plastic "stackers." When she first opened, she sold U-pick strawberries and I enjoyed the fact that the berries could be picked at waist level, not ground level. Are you planning the same?

Wow, Timothy! When you start a project, it's a sure-enough project. I hope you'll be taking and posting photos all along the way. I admire your ambition and will bait my breath for the next bulletin. :)

My local organic farm lady grows her veggies hydroponically in white plastic "stackers." When she first opened, she sold U-pick strawberries and I enjoyed the fact that the berries could be picked at waist level, not ground level. Are you planning the same?

I'll be using several methods of hydroponics in my greenhouse. Mostly cascading NFT where the nutrient water is pumped to the top of a Bleacher type setup and will gravity flow downward to the bottom. I'll have a 12 foot tall trellis in the center that the bean plants will be trained to. I plan on Bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, lettuces and soy beans so far.

I've been working towards this greenhouse for about 20 years. I know my family and friends will be happy to see it built finally. So far, it' only been a dream of mine.

Not so much making, but lately I'm handwriting out my favourite recipes and organising them in a folder. Figured it was time to get organised rather than having to search the internet whenever I want to make something, and always end up searching through my bookmarks for hours.

My scrubs pattern has arrived, but *sigh* the sleeves or lack of won't work for me. At least if nothing else, I have instructions to make scrunchies. The other pattern I ordered has nice sleeves.

I also realized when making my bed, that sheets are a good source of material. I have one paisley sheet that looks like it will make a nice top.

bummer on your pattern. yes sheets make great fabric source. really super for curtains. lots of fabric for not so much money. let us know how your tops turn out.

I've made lots of nice curtains with them, but for some reason never thought about cutting out an actual pattern before. My other pattern should be here soon, so I'll try that one. I still want to get some fabric from Walmart. They had lots of really nice prints. It may be like quilting supplies, but they were on regular bolts. As long as it's at least 45" wide it will work. This one is Simplicity 2195. It's simple sewing, but attractive.

I just checked the progress (UPS). It says it shipped today and is in transit, but doesn't say from where. It also says delivery 11/22?????? I don't see how a pattern envelope could possibly take 3 weeks.:ohmy:

something else that i use for fabric source. placemats are super for making pot holders. usually they have a little padding in them . just either sew around edge and turn and stitch opening shut. or use bias tape to finish them off. course you need to cut them down. i have a bunch right now that i no longer use. it's fun to make something out of something you would otherwise throw or give away.

Back
Top Bottom