What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking Fabiabi, a really easy, but pretty pattern for you as a beginner would be Moss Stitch.

Moss Stitch is alternating knit and purl, but the next row is purl, knit so that a miniature basket weave results. You can take that pattern and try making blocks of say 5 purl, 5 knit to make a real basketweave. Let me know if you want to try it and I'll walk you through.:)

Last edited:
BTW...I have had a little experience in soapmaking, if I can be of any help!

PrincessFiona.
Would love some input on soap making. What book is best to buy
Or do I search the net for directions. Is it a expensive hobby ?
I know they sell a lot of homemade soap online but by the price they
like it better than I do. :)

Josie

Zhizara
Take a piece if something white (paper) and put it behind your needle
and you can probably thread it. I did this for four years untill I had eye surgery this year.

PrincessFiona.

Josie

I suggest Googling "soap making"...the book I have is very old and no longer in print. It CAN be expensive, depending how much you invest. Initial, just learning is fun and you don't spend much. But when you get your first scent or other additive...it can be addictive. It's been dog's years since I made soap.

Thanks

I suggest Googling "soap making"...the book I have is very old and no longer in print. It CAN be expensive, depending how much you invest. Initial, just learning is fun and you don't spend much. But when you get your first scent or other additive...it can be addictive. It's been dog's years since I made soap.

Thanks for the information I will try next year ;)
Josie

Thanks Josie. I found my magnifier, AND the regular old needle threader I used last time. It slips right in through the back of the needle and all I have to do is get the thread through the big wire loop. No longer a problem. YAY.

I finished the waistband of the skirt, and I'm still missing a button that I can steal from the top, also it's a little shorter than I really like, so I'm going to just let it fray for a while and wear it until I decide if I like the fray, I'll just run a line of stitching to keep it from going too far. Or, I just hem it. As far as I'm concerned it's done for now, because I know as soon as I put it on I'll put the button on too.

If the weather stays nice, I'll wear it tomorrow, and go through all the denim jeans and find at least two patch pockets for it.

Last edited:
PrincessFiona.

Josie

Depending on what type of soaps your looking to make the prices vary. Scents alone are expensive. A little does go a long way.

Here's a suppliers link Bramble Berry®, Inc | Soap Making Supplies They are highly recommended by professional Soaper's, to the weekend warriors :)

Lot of great info, and videos.. Everything you wanted to know and then some.

Munky.

I took the straps off the sleeves of a new blouse. I really like the blouse, but I don't deal with those roll up sleeves with straps and buttons.

The rollup crease is just exactly where I want the sleeve so I'll maybe just use some stitch witch to keep them folded up. I'm not going to do anything until it is washed. If the sleeve stays folded up, maybe I won't have to do anything more to it.

On to my lapghan. I started another row and now it's tied to the skein. I'm watching Futurama so it's a great time to crochet.

Thanks, Zhizara and Chef Munkey
for the links on soap making I see
what my next obsession will be.
Today I am cooking a 20 pound
Turkey and I will can it and the stock.
Got turkey on sale before Christmas
for .68 cents a pound. :)
Josie

It is fascinating to see what others are doing/making with their hands! There seems to be quite the correlation between that and cooking.

My craft of choice is counted cross stitch on linen. It is an addiction!

It is fascinating to see what others are doing/making with their hands! There seems to be quite the correlation between that and cooking.

My craft of choice is counted cross stitch on linen. It is an addiction!

Do you have a work in progress? There are some gorgeous designs out there.

Yes - I have three Paula Vaughan's on the go. She is really into verandahs/porches/rocking chairs with quilts. As am I! Lots of cascading roses with 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 stitches and lots of outlining.

Very pretty.

I collect vintage drums. I like to build complete drumkits by buying single pieces( called orphans). You can get these at good prices. Then I piece together drumkits. I also like making art or wall hangings from old furniture I buy at yardsales. I've made mirrors from stovepipe grates, tables from old drawers, benches from old feed bins, and other eclectic articles. I have a few pieces that are waiting for me to finish and bring back to life as reincarnated furniture.

Paula is wonderful. People almost always think they are paintings until they look closely. They are a lot of work (very intricate and detailed) but I love the challenge! :-D

I envy you being able to do cross stitch. My eyes just can't handle it.

I was going to wear my new denim skirt yesterday. It fell off me. I tried it on as a quick check over my sweats, etc., and it felt like it would fit just fine, so it's back to the to do pile.

I did notice that I had left enough fabric from the bodice for the waistband, that I have a channel I can thread some 1/4" elastic through. Good how that worked out. Shopping Tuesday.

I collect vintage drums. I like to build complete drumkits by buying single pieces( called orphans). You can get these at good prices. Then I piece together drumkits. I also like making art or wall hangings from old furniture I buy at yardsales. I've made mirrors from stovepipe grates, tables from old drawers, benches from old feed bins, and other eclectic articles. I have a few pieces that are waiting for me to finish and bring back to life as reincarnated furniture.

That sounds very cool. Any photos?

Shrek collects Guitars acoustic and electric, amps, banjos, Ukeleles, mandolins, bazukis...they are everywhere...he even has a set of bongo drums, two bohdrians and an electric keyboard.

I collect ear plugs...

Back
Top Bottom