What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy raw stones also. I see them for sale on the Rock Hound websites. Not sure what the prices are. I'm sure it varies quite a bit depending on types and where you order them from. Part of the fun for us is to pick them ourselves and see what they turn out like. Adds to the sentimental value of the finished products, especially if you make things out of them....fun stuff...

They do sell "River Rock" in large bags at Home Depot. I wonder what some of those would turn into after tumbling? Have you ever tried any of those?

They do sell "River Rock" in large bags at Home Depot. I wonder what some of those would turn into after tumbling? Have you ever tried any of those?

I have never tried them, but I have read of people doing it. Up here on the Canadian Shield, there are no shortages of free stones. I am an hours drive from a community that regards itself as the Mineral Capital of Canada.
Bancroft Ontario Canada

Here in New England there is an old saying. When asking a farmer what he does and he answers farming, the next questions is, "What do you farm?" "Rocks", answers the farmer. All those rock walls are the farmer's crop. Who needs chain link or picket fences. :chef:

Here in New England there is an old saying. When asking a farmer what he does and he answers farming, the next questions is, "What do you farm?" "Rocks", answers the farmer. All those rock walls are the farmer's crop. Who needs chain link or picket fences. :chef:

You remind me of the year we "broke" a new field. One mule, pulling a wagon that we followed and threw rocks into. My Dad would make a fresh pass at the field with the tractor and we'd start over with hundreds more rocks. After a week of doing this all day, every day, Dad declared the field ready to plant.

Beautiful rock walls surrounded the entire farm. I remember watching him add to one with those rocks.

The White Mountains of NH, and the Green Mountains of VT, along with the Blue Hills and Berkshires of Massachusetts are not very high like the Rockies because they broke up and landed in the farmers fields. I love the rock walls. It is an art to build one of them without any mortar.

My grandfather always said every place ya see a rock ya won't see a weed!

While, I am only partially responsible for the "making" of this, I did want to share the pics of the "play kitchen" that "we" built for our granddaughter for Christmas.

image-3102152107.jpg

image-1226998101.jpg

image-1057671870.jpg

She loves it!

That is fantastic! That first picture, I thought was a real kitchen until I read further and saw the other pics.

got several projects in the planning stage. first a quick scarf for my oldest granddaughter. she loved her sister's that and i made and wants one as well. then kitchen curtains, i need something colorful in the kitchen. will start on an afghan for oldest gd as well. that ought to keep me busy.

Making a duvet from two king size sheets today. Still have to finish granddaughter's apron, maybe some work on that today as well :).

I went ahead and cut another front for the blouse with no front seam, and when I went to see which facing pattern piece to use, found that neither one of them fit. Easy enough to fix, I just took a sheet of paper and traced the neckline. I'm sure glad I checked!

when i picked up my new sewing magazine, i picked the yarn up for both the scarf and the afghan i want to make. yarn was on sale buy one, get one half off. a bargain, that stuff is expensive. had a 40 % off coupon.i used it on a circular needle i needed. gosh, i love bargains.

when i picked up my new sewing magazine, i picked the yarn up for both the scarf and the afghan i want to make. yarn was on sale buy one, get one half off. a bargain, that stuff is expensive. had a 40 % off coupon.i used it on a circular needle i needed. gosh, i love bargains.

Especially when it means adding a tool to your arsenal! I just replaced a bodkin I left behind when moving. It's nice to have it back.

I also bought some plastic canvas. 7/". That's all I could find, but all the patterns are for 5/".

It shouldn't be a problem anyway. I have a chart for a Home Sweet Home sentiment, and have wanted for a long time to make it for myself.

I decided to go with the yarns I have ranging from pale cream to chocolate brown with rust, maroon and terra cotta.

The sentiment will be dark chocolate and the background will use all the other colors in some kind of pattern.

I'm anxious to get back to my blouse, but got stuck with 2 pair of pants that my friend needs shortened, and don't have the right colored thread for either of them. Tomorrow is shopping so I'll get those pants done and get back to my blouse.

I've been assembling all the items needed to begin my projects for Christmas gifts for 2012 for the family. Let the games begin!!

Also, tomorrow, I'll create the table arrangement for the dining room table for the winter season. I change out the arrangements about 4 times a year, with the exception of wintertime. For several weeks I display the Christmas arrangement but, after that, I want to have something a little "wintery" to take its place. I hadn't gotten around to that last year, so tomorrow I'll take care of that.

Back
Top Bottom