What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i ordered fat quarters from clotide, lovely blues. will use some for pencil holders. the rest will be the houses on the appliqué pillow i will be making. i thought prints in blue would be great on the little yellow pillow. found some pillows for the couch, target on line. 2 for twelve on sale. i can't make them for that. can't wait to get new couch cover next week. i am on a roll. almost finished scarf. then will start an afagan for my oldest granddaughter. love to have several projects going at once.

I've seen quarters for sale at Walmart. What exactly are they, Babe? What's a fat quarter?

they are generous 1/4 yards of fabric. often they are in a package of colors or prints that go together. perfect for small projects in sewing. the pillow pattern i have has three little house appliquéd on a background fabric. they are usually very inexpensive. depends on the fabric.

Thanks, Babe. I knew they were small and used for quilting, but never knew the yardage.

I'll keep an eye out for something with nice colors and get myself a batch for odds and ends.

I like your idea using the Crystal Light cans. I need a larger container for where I sit. I like to keep some sewing tools near my hang out spot for scissors, seam ripper, etc., and that seems like it would be the perfect size.

When you use fabric to cover, do you glue? If so, what kind do you use?

Thanks, Babe. I knew they were small and used for quilting, but never knew the yardage.

I'll keep an eye out for something with nice colors and get myself a batch for odds and ends.

I like your idea using the Crystal Light cans. I need a larger container for where I sit. I like to keep some sewing tools near my hang out spot for scissors, seam ripper, etc., and that seems like it would be the perfect size.

When you use fabric to cover, do you glue? If so, what kind do you use?

i glue them on with a glue stick. try to buy a good strong one. not sure of the spelling of the site i buy fat quarters, etc from. will check and give it to you. there are a bunch of ways to buy small batches of fabric. they are having a sale right now, so you should check it out. promise i will tomorrow. :)

My observatory is coming along nicely. I spent the day erecting the posts in front and spanning the beams. The roof (standard shed style roof) will ride on steel rollers and roll over and rest on those beams, opening up the observatory to the night sky.

Attachments

• 5055693-P1060441.JPG
    5055693-P1060441.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 119
My observatory is coming along nicely. I spent the day erecting the posts in front and spanning the beams. The roof (standard shed style roof) will ride on steel rollers and roll over and rest on those beams, opening up the observatory to the night sky.

Say, Road - seems like you're just the one to answer a question that popped up last night: there was a ring around the moon, causing it to look like the center of a bulls-eye. Maybe the conditions that caused it were strictly local, but I'm betting you know what this phenomenon is called. Your oservatory project is, to use an moth-eaten word, Neato!

i glue them on with a glue stick. try to buy a good strong one. not sure of the spelling of the site i buy fat quarters, etc from. will check and give it to you. there are a bunch of ways to buy small batches of fabric. they are having a sale right now, so you should check it out. promise i will tomorrow. :)

What a great term that is. Sometime I'd like to hear non-sewing folks guess what it means.

You sure do stay busy, Babetoo. :)

Say, Road - seems like you're just the one to answer a question that popped up last night: there was a ring around the moon, causing it to look like the center of a bulls-eye. Maybe the conditions that caused it were strictly local, but I'm betting you know what this phenomenon is called. Your oservatory project is, to use an moth-eaten word, Neato!

Rings Around The Moon

Looks great! So much fun, I wish there was even a planetarium around here.

roadfix said:

Lovely, Roadfix! Excited to see your pics!

You have a pretty nice observatory at Blue Mountain!

It says the public are welcome, but it is fairly small, seating is mostly taken by the students. It's a long drive in the dark on scary roads to find out it is closed to further visitors.

We do well with our own telescope and clear nights.

you are going to love this site. clotilde.com enjoy:cool:

It says the public are welcome, but it is fairly small, seating is mostly taken by the students. It's a long drive in the dark on scary roads to find out it is closed to further visitors.

We do well with our own telescope and clear nights.

I did not realize that. The reason I mentioned it is that we have one of similar size here at Syracuse University. It is also on the small size but, it is right on campus. The drawback is all of the lighting from the city. I enjoy star gazing! I used to enjoy it more on hot summer nights when I was still smoking, oh well! Then there were the submarine races at the lake:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I did not realize that. The reason I mentioned it is that we have one of similar size here at Syracuse University. It is also on the small size but, it is right on campus. The drawback is all of the lighting from the city. I enjoy star gazing! I used to enjoy it more on hot summer nights when I was still smoking, oh well! Then there were the submarine races at the lake:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We figure the students take precedence, nights that are good for us are really good for them. They are paying tuition and deserve the best chances.

Besides, wWe have taken the drive up in the daylight to look, not really a road I want to drive on in the dark!:ohmy:

Submarine races, now that sounds like fun!:)

Thanks, PF. That is a very interesting and "enlightening" page. And now I know the technical term "Rings Around the Moon" for rings around the moon. :LOL:

One more thing, please, from an obviously ignorant moon-gazer: was the moon ring visible from just our little point on the globe or could it be seen from, say, the southeast or North America, etc.??

It most likely was just in your area, the ice crystals are in our atmosphere, not the moon's. Weather conditions are the factor that brings on the different effects.

Thanks X two, Princess. :flowers: It seems the older I get, the more expansive is my store of stuff I don't know. How often it is that the answer to a question opens the door to a whole new category of things I don't know *@#& about. Brings to mind the old song, "I know a little bit about a lot of things....." I'm grateful the easy-going community of DC makes it easy to ask dumb questions that get answered by our generous friends. Much more fun than Googling. :flowers:

Thanks X two, Princess. :flowers: It seems the older I get, the more expansive is my store of stuff I don't know. How often it is that the answer to a question opens the door to a whole new category of things I don't know *@#& about. Brings to mind the old song, "I know a little bit about a lot of things....." I'm grateful the easy-going community of DC makes it easy to ask dumb questions that get answered by our generous friends. Much more fun than Googling. :flowers:

Heh, it took going to college to find out I didn't know everything...the best lesson I got was "How to look things up!"

Back
Top Bottom