"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #241
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've made several more of the large plant flower coasters -- some with a yellow center and white petals, gold center with white petals, yellow center with dark green leaves. I'll make a few more of the smaller drink coaster sizes next.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #242
Chef Extraordinaire

got the sleeves in lilly's dress today. spent more time on yoyo's. i think the little gadget i bought makes it harder. will go back to old way. i know how to do that. ruffle on the bottom, tomorrow and then only buttons to do. wish i knew how to put a picture on line. maybe i will ask my granddaughter.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #243
Senior Cook

So impressed by everyone's sewing machine skills!!

I'm just starting so it's the safe (but all the rage apparently *cheeky grin*) option for me -bunting. Hopefully will be finished in time for my mum's summer BBQs.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #244
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
got the sleeves in lilly's dress today. spent more time on yoyo's. i think the little gadget i bought makes it harder. will go back to old way. i know how to do that. ruffle on the bottom, tomorrow and then only buttons to do. wish i knew how to put a picture on line. maybe i will ask my granddaughter.
I do hope your granddaughter can help you out -- I'd love to see your creations. And what the yoyo's look like (??) - apparently not round wooden thingies with strings.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #245
Chef Extraordinaire

tinlizzie, no, yoyos are made with small circles of fabric. basically it is gathering the circle and pulling in gathers. forms a little rosette . goggle how to make and it shows pictures as well as method . they are used for decorations on fabric, on purses, quilts, decorative pillows, etc. used to be very very popular.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #246
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
tinlizzie, no, yoyos are made with small circles of fabric. basically it is gathering the circle and pulling in gathers. forms a little rosette . goggle how to make and it shows pictures as well as method . they are used for decorations on fabric, on purses, quilts, decorative pillows, etc. used to be very very popular.
Grandma used to make these all of the time. It was fun to help her! She made me a doll with them once. Great memories babe!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #247
Head Chef

One Google, coming up - thanks. But I have to say I feel kinda foolish saying the words -- Gonna Google Yoyos.

Stranger in a Land that these days is sounding Stranger and Stranger all the time.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #248
Wine Guy

I've been reading through this thread. I'm not really the artsy-craftsy type, but I've been making homemade wine for about 10 years now. I have 24 vines in the backyard and also belong to a group of home winos that truck in several tons of grapes from California in the fall. I make about 150 gallons of the stuff every year. I guess winemaking is kind of artsy in a way, right?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #249
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Definitely, Steve.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #250
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
I've been reading through this thread. I'm not really the artsy-craftsy type, but I've been making homemade wine for about 10 years now. I have 24 vines in the backyard and also belong to a group of home winos that truck in several tons of grapes from California in the fall. I make about 150 gallons of the stuff every year. I guess winemaking is kind of artsy in a way, right?
Absolutely Steve! We make wine too and beer, but we aren't as skilled as you seem to be as we use juice and aren't high-Tec with oak barrels, just carboys. Would love to try from grapes though.