"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #251
Executive Chef

Steve, it is a wonderful craft to make wine! You are so organized, and I am sure creative! Your bottles are lined up just so! Most creative crafty people aren't quite so organized, but you may start a trend!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #252
Head Chef

I'd love to make wine but very few grapes grow here. We tried beer once, did okay, it was just too much work and $$ though for the small amount we ended up with. We do make our own Limoncello though. Course all that involves is zesting a whole bunch of lemons and making a thick simple syrup, mixing and bottling. LOL, not really anything to brag about doing but it sure does taste good.

Update on my Cluny, I didn't get a whole lot done since April. I wasn't able to work on it for several weeks because a stray cat decided to come into our home when I had the sliding door open going in and out, ran upstairs, got under 1 of the beds and in trying to get it out, I got bit. Nearly took off a good chunk of my thumb tip and back. So, got to do the ER thing, tetanus, 2 heavy duty antibiotics, pain meds, etc. I was spared rabies shots though because it turns out the cat belonged to a neighbor down the street with the same type house as ours and the cat had been missing for nearly a month and for some reason apparently thought our house was its home. Fortunately, the flesh reattached itself, the pain is basically gone unless I accidentally smack it just the right way, and the sensation is almost back to normal now though I still have a hard welt of scar tissue on the tip but even that is slowly getting better.

Karen

Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #253
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That is just so beautiful, MedTrans. Thanks for the nice picture. I'd love to see it again as you make progress.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #254
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We do make our own Limoncello though.
Hey, when life hands you lemons (as I'm sure it does in Florida), you make Limoncello!

That is a beautiful piece of art you have there!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #255
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I'd love to make wine but very few grapes grow here. We tried beer once, did okay, it was just too much work and $$ though for the small amount we ended up with. We do make our own Limoncello though. Course all that involves is zesting a whole bunch of lemons and making a thick simple syrup, mixing and bottling. LOL, not really anything to brag about doing but it sure does taste good.

Update on my Cluny, I didn't get a whole lot done since April. I wasn't able to work on it for several weeks because a stray cat decided to come into our home when I had the sliding door open going in and out, ran upstairs, got under 1 of the beds and in trying to get it out, I got bit. Nearly took off a good chunk of my thumb tip and back. So, got to do the ER thing, tetanus, 2 heavy duty antibiotics, pain meds, etc. I was spared rabies shots though because it turns out the cat belonged to a neighbor down the street with the same type house as ours and the cat had been missing for nearly a month and for some reason apparently thought our house was its home. Fortunately, the flesh reattached itself, the pain is basically gone unless I accidentally smack it just the right way, and the sensation is almost back to normal now though I still have a hard welt of scar tissue on the tip but even that is slowly getting better.

Karen

could you explain to me what the process is that you are doing. also what the finished product is used for? i have never seen this type of work before. always interested in new things.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #256
Head Chef

Thanks all.

Steve, the hardest part of making limoncello is waiting for the zest to impart its flavor to the grain alcohol (at least a week) before you can finish and drink it!

Babetoo, it's petit point. The finished size is about 5" x 6" and it's on 40 stitches per square inch silk gauze. You follow a charted design as you stitch with 1 strand of emboridery thread. This particular piece will go in a castle dollhouse one day that is yet to be built or even planned. I just like to stitch, you kind of zone out and it's relaxing except when you make a mistake and get to go back and pick it out! LOL.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #257
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I came up with an idea for getting some nice fabric. I had seen a pretty quilt at Walmart last month, and took a closer look at it the last time I was there, but instead of a bed set, it was only the quilt, with shams sold separately. After I got home, I realized the shams would be a good source of material. ($6)

Previously, I had taken one I had as part of a set, and made a cover for my sewing machine with it. It got used later as a cover for a folded old pillow I needed for my lower back, and matched the spread I had used to cover the old recliner, so I still need a cover for the sewing machine.

There are several colors and styles available so that's my next little project. Not a big one, but the sewing machine needs a cover. It just looks so naked just sitting there, and it's gathering dust. If I were to put it away, I'd never get anything sewn.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #258
Chef Extraordinaire

cutting out a dress for five year old Aubrey. cute pattern, told her would have it done when she comes home from beach. be back sunday so i had better get busy , huh.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #259
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Decorating

Today was Walmart shopping, day after payday.

All the bills are paid for the next month.

I bought two different quilted pattern pillow shams, and went ahead and bought the quilt I liked. I had to get full/queen size because thatís what they had. It looks good on the bed with the excess fabric tucked under the opposite side of the bed.

The other sham, that I got for the new sewing machine cover, is a different quilt pattern. The colors mix well with the present color scheme, and has added the next dimension.

It coordinates well with some colors I already have, and brings them out.

Itís like a color wheel turning, adding a little light orange, a promise of fall.

The bouquet of fake flowers is back in the living room, adding itís orangey red yellows to the mix.

Iím having so much fun!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #260
Chef Extraordinaire

sounds like fun!! i had a lousy day. had to make ties for the dress, twice. followed the pattern and there was no way it was going to turn while that narrow. so cut two more twice as wide. worked well, but a lot of time wasted. maybe tomorrow will go well.