What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You were right Addie... Go ahead and say it. " Told ya so Munk"! :LOL: It said " Mercury Electric MFG CORP 801 KNEE"
Just didn't see it at the time. Any closer and it could have bit me. :ohmy:

Here's some pics, just finished sanding down the drawers.
Mind ya, it's not even close to being finished. It's kinda shy all nekkid like that. :angel:

img_1133456_0_390de80c16d07b6a6a7d23453e999e02.jpg

img_1133456_1_bf8ff91776b09921852d6c80541d57c6.jpg

Munky.

I never do an "I told ya so!" The only reason I know is because I grew up with Kenmore sewing machines. Learn to sew on one in school, mother had one, and so did I. I ended up having to give mine up. It was solid metal and got too heavy for me to lift it out of the case. What I would love to have is a treadle sewing machine. There is a rhythm to using one of them. I recently gave my portable sewing machine to my son. He can do all the family sewing now. All Kenmore cabinet sewing machines I have ever seen had the knee pressure foot. I like it. I think it is easier to use than the foot one.

You are doing a great job with the sanding.

Stepped in it this time. What have I done? :LOL:

Went ahead and bought that sewing machine. Let's just say it's been interesting tinkering around with it. It's purdy.

The cabinet is almost ready for the stain. Picked out Red Mahogany. It's been a lot of work getting it back into shape. More then I had thought of originally. Were taking the tops off, then I'll probably go with if I can find the style, Black marbled Ivory type veneer. Hoping it won't look too tacky with the handles. It looks ok in my mind. It's reality that has me wondering if it's going to cause me to have a seizure! :LOL: J/K.

The inside shelf will have to be redone to accommodate the machine. It's ok, Home Depot is my friend :ROFLMAO:

Munky.
mwf_redmahogany-color-stain.jpg

Munky, not sure If you can hook up the new machine to the knee pressure control, but if you can I think you will really like it. I learned to sew with one, but when my first husband bought me my own machine for my 21st birthday it came with the foot pedal which I have been using until I inherited my grandmother's 1940's vintage Singer with the knee pressure lever, I much prefer sewing with it, I seem to have better control and believe it or not this vintage machine does a better job than my 1975 JC Penney machine. I also have my mother-in-law's treadle machine which is still in working order and a Serger that I bought in the late 80's (to make figure skating costumes for my daughter). I think I am due for a more modern machine, but don't want to get rid of any of my oldies. ;-)
Good luck with your project, I think the cabinet will look great and am looking forward to seeing the finished pics.

I love the old treadle machines. She should be able to hook up the knee pressure bar. I know that many moons ago, you could unplug the foot pressure and plug in a knee bar. But hopefully, the new machines will let you do that also. On my portable one, the foot pressure was a plug in. Sometimes it is wired to the inside. Then you have a problem. :)

Stepped in it this time. What have I done? :LOL:

Went ahead and bought that sewing machine. Let's just say it's been interesting tinkering around with it. It's purdy.

The cabinet is almost ready for the stain. Picked out Red Mahogany. It's been a lot of work getting it back into shape. More then I had thought of originally. Were taking the tops off, then I'll probably go with if I can find the style, Black marbled Ivory type veneer. Hoping it won't look too tacky with the handles. It looks ok in my mind. It's reality that has me wondering if it's going to cause me to have a seizure! :LOL: J/K.

The inside shelf will have to be redone to accommodate the machine. It's ok, Home Depot is my friend :ROFLMAO:

Munky.
mwf_redmahogany-color-stain.jpg
Wish I'd had someone like you around when I redid our bedroom furniture. I did a French finish on it and it's still alive after 10 years. I still love it but don't think I'd do it again. Pneumonia is not for me any more and that's what happens after removing all that goop that was on the furniture. YUK.
Please post some pictures of you handy work. I'm dying to see what you've done.
kades

So we want to see pics of the finished product. :ermm:
Addie,
going hunting for a plastic embroidery kit to do. It sounds like fun and I've kiddo's woh love this kind of thing. Thanks for the heads up.
kaades

This is not a big-box store floor. First you start with the birch logs. Then you haul them into the sawmill shed and cut them into boards. Then you haul the boards to the loft in the barn, stack them, and let them dry for a year. Then you haul them down and bring the home to prepare them to be tongue and groove flooring. Then you install the boards. Then you sand them with a belt sander--where I'm at right now. I think the floor is lovely. It is lighter (blonder) than the pic shows, I took this at night. Definitely not your big-box store floor. A 3-yr. project, but I gotta say, I love it! I can't wait to get the finish on it (just varnish--no stain). (Patience is virtue, virtue is grace, and Grace is a little girl who never washed her face--I'm so impatient to have this finally done...it'll probably be 2 more weeks!!! Gotta tend the chickens, weed the garden, and converse on DC--I can't spend all my time finalizing the finish!).

Attachments

• floor 010.jpg
    floor 010.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
This is not a big-box store floor. First you start with the birch logs. Then you haul them into the sawmill shed and cut them into boards. Then you haul the boards to the loft in the barn, stack them, and let them dry for a year. Then you haul them down and bring the home to prepare them to be tongue and groove flooring. Then you install the boards. Then you sand them with a belt sander--where I'm at right now. I think the floor is lovely. It is lighter (blonder) than the pic shows, I took this at night. Definitely not your big-box store floor. A 3-yr. project, but I gotta say, I love it! I can't wait to get the finish on it (just varnish--no stain).
That's gorgeous!

I hope you meant you were going to finish it with polyurethane, not old fashioned varnish.

That's gorgeous!

I hope you meant you were going to finish it with polyurethane, not old fashioned varnish.
I always call it varnish--but it isn't (like calling no-wax floor linoleum--habit). It is polyurethane. I am not staining it--it is going to be natural under that. Same as the other two floors (elm and hard maple that were done in the last couple of years). I just love the birch--it is my favorite.

That is beautiful CWS! Dad did an oak floor once, used linseed oil on it.
Thanks--it is definitely a labor of love and not s/thing to undertake if one can't wait for the end result. I'd love to rub it with Danish oil, but with a dog...not very durable. I do hand rub a coat of beeswax on the finish after the last coat, gives it a mellow look. The maple floor was nice, but once I rubbed it, it was amazing. I just don't like all the dust in the house...

Thanks--it is definitely a labor of love and not s/thing to undertake if one can't wait for the end result. I'd love to rub it with Danish oil, but with a dog...not very durable. I do hand rub a coat of beeswax on the finish after the last coat, gives it a mellow look. The maple floor was nice, but once I rubbed it, it was amazing. I just don't like all the dust in the house...

I'd rather dust mop than vacuum any day!:) I'm trying to talk the landlord into removing the carpet and putting in flooring.

Definitely a job for patience. You would have made a great pioneer wife. Sounds like DH is a definite keeper. The floor looks beautiful. My son could use you for his contracting jobs. :chef:

I'd rather dust mop than vacuum any day!:) I'm trying to talk the landlord into removing the carpet and putting in flooring.
The argument is that hardwood floors (or laminate, but I hate laminate, the dogs' nails click-click-click on it and sr. dogs, IME, have a harder time getting up off of laminate than they do off hardwood) don't retain odor, don't have to be steam cleaned between tenants, can be refinished (well, preferably if the hardwood is 3/4 inch, which is what mine is) several times and it takes abuse. I don't know about the engineered hardwood, I have the "old-fashioned" kind. My mom had a floor buffer for her hardwood floors, but I don't find that is necessary. There is a cost savings for the landlord--no hiring carpet cleaning companies, no odor retention, and it should last 30-40 years and still be in good shape. Not a lot of carpets can last that long. Good luck. I'd argue the case! I do use my Shark Steam and Vac, but that is not the same as cleaning a carpet.

I'm a yard sale junkie--Saturdays mean yard sales--never know what you might need. So today, I ended up picking up a bunch (about 10) bamboo placemats for $1. Now, they are green or red. I have some "boxes" that are made out of similar stuff--have a zipper in the bottom, yadda, yadda, yadda. But neither green nor red are my colors. So--I happened to have a can of PURPLE spray paint. I thought I'd spray paint four of them and make the pattern for those "boxes..." Oops. Decided I liked them for placemats and used some of the fabric I was going to use for lining for napkins (not the greatest pic--I'm tired, going to bed) BUT with my white dishes and the refinished table, the placemats and napkins look really nice:

Attachments

• placemates 008.jpg
    placemates 008.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
They look brilliant CWS :)

We too enjoy Saturday morning garage sales, you just never know what you will find :)

They look brilliant CWS :)

We too enjoy Saturday morning garage sales, you just never know what you will find :)
No kidding--I am also a farm auction junkie. I'm really happy with how the mats turned out. I also spray painted a hideous pink lamp I got for 50 cents...only it is not purple--I spray painted it white and then sprayed water on it and then spray painted lavender on it--turned out really cool. I gotta stop watching the Curbside show! That's why I have sooo many projects--but I did this one today--I have 4 new placemats and 4 napkins, and still have to make the boxes/baskets...trying to figure out what to do for the napkin rings.........

Last edited:
Sounds like you have done a superb job on the old lamp...bet it looks brilliant!

I find garage sales exciting, trying to find a really good bargain or 2!

My mum is also addicted to them, she goes out every weekend come rain or shine :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom