"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #371
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
finished the scarf for my granddaughter in time for christmas. bought her a sweater and this will be beautiful with it.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #372
Executive Chef
 
Somebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Blaine, Washington
Posts: 2,649
Have to get "cracking" on the curtains for granddaughters "play kitchen". Wanted to make her an apron too, but we will see how time goes! DH almost has the kitchen done, he painted the appliances tonight with silver paint. They look like stainless steel , the whole thing is adorable, will post pics when finished.
__________________

__________________
If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:14 AM   #373
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,030
I presently am working on a lapghan for my 21 y.o. ungrateful granddaughter. It has black yarn with white fun fur. For the matching pillow it will be with white yarn and black fun fur. I am crocheting it in the V stitch pattern.

When I finish it, I want to get back to embroidery. I cannot just sit and stare at the TV. I have to have something in my hands. I have done so many projects over the years. Yet I don't have one thing in my house.

I have a pile of baby yarn that someone gave me. When I want to do a quick project, I make hats for preemie babies. I have a girlfriend that makes outfits for babies that are stillborn. No baby should be buried naked. Sometimes we make outfits for mothers to take their babies home from the hospital. The mothers have no idea who is giving these items. But it is very rewarding for us.

I have been doing needle work and crocheting and knitting since I was 12 y.o. Every time I take something with me to a doctors appointment, someone will come over and want to see what I am doing. Then I hear, "I wish I had paid attention to my grandmother when I was small."
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #374
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I presently am working on a lapghan for my 21 y.o. ungrateful granddaughter. It has black yarn with white fun fur. For the matching pillow it will be with white yarn and black fun fur. I am crocheting it in the V stitch pattern.

When I finish it, I want to get back to embroidery. I cannot just sit and stare at the TV. I have to have something in my hands. I have done so many projects over the years. Yet I don't have one thing in my house.

I have a pile of baby yarn that someone gave me. When I want to do a quick project, I make hats for preemie babies. I have a girlfriend that makes outfits for babies that are stillborn. No baby should be buried naked. Sometimes we make outfits for mothers to take their babies home from the hospital. The mothers have no idea who is giving these items. But it is very rewarding for us.

I have been doing needle work and crocheting and knitting since I was 12 y.o. Every time I take something with me to a doctors appointment, someone will come over and want to see what I am doing. Then I hear, "I wish I had paid attention to my grandmother when I was small."
Knitting or Crocheting caps for men and women who are going through chemo and lost their hair is a nice thing, too! I have a friend who does that and she sent my Mom three caps for work! I wish I was crafty, I would make those.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #375
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Knitting or Crocheting caps for men and women who are going through chemo and lost their hair is a nice thing, too! I have a friend who does that and she sent my Mom three caps for work! I wish I was crafty, I would make those.
When my Patty was at the stage of total hair loss, I thought it was one of the nicest things in the world that the Mayo Clinic had a huge selection of those scarves and hats available for free to all the patients. What a totally nice thing for someone to do. Anyone who makes those for chemo patients gets an automatic pair of wings in my book! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #376
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
I have a rock tumbler that has been running for over a week now. The last job I was on was on a lake front property and there was loads of rose quartz across the road. I scrounged up a tumbler full. I will probably make a few key chains and a couple of pendants. My daughter likes to make candle holders and stuff and give them away. Just hobby stuff....
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #377
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have a rock tumbler that has been running for over a week now. The last job I was on was on a lake front property and there was loads of rose quartz across the road. I scrounged up a tumbler full. I will probably make a few key chains and a couple of pendant. My daughter likes to make candle holders and stuff with the. Just hobby stuff....
That's really cool, Rock. How long does it take to smooth out a full tumbler of rocks? I've thought about getting one of them, but never knew anyone who had one that I could ask questions of.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #378
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That's really cool, Rock. How long does it take to smooth out a full tumbler of rocks? I've thought about getting one of them, but never knew anyone who had one that I could ask questions of.
About a month. I use 4 stages which last about a week each. There is tons of info on the internet. I bought the tumbler for my daughter a few years ago and now I use it more than her.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #379
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
About a month. I use 4 stages which last about a week each. There is tons of info on the internet. I bought the tumbler for my daughter a few years ago and now I use it more than her.
I would have to import rocks. Florida has very few natural rocks. It's all been broken down into sand. Thanks for the info.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #380
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I would have to import rocks. Florida has very few natural rocks. It's all been broken down into sand. Thanks for the info.
You can buy raw stones also. I see them for sale on the Rock Hound websites. Not sure what the prices are. I'm sure it varies quite a bit depending on types and where you order them from. Part of the fun for us is to pick them ourselves and see what they turn out like. Adds to the sentimental value of the finished products, especially if you make things out of them....fun stuff...
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.