"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #451
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix
My observatory is coming along nicely. I spent the day erecting the posts in front and spanning the beams. The roof (standard shed style roof) will ride on steel rollers and roll over and rest on those beams, opening up the observatory to the night sky.
Lovely, Roadfix! Excited to see your pics!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #452
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Looks great! So much fun, I wish there was even a planetarium around here.
You have a pretty nice observatory at Blue Mountain!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #453
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You have a pretty nice observatory at Blue Mountain!
It says the public are welcome, but it is fairly small, seating is mostly taken by the students. It's a long drive in the dark on scary roads to find out it is closed to further visitors.

We do well with our own telescope and clear nights.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #454
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i glue them on with a glue stick. try to buy a good strong one. not sure of the spelling of the site i buy fat quarters, etc from. will check and give it to you. there are a bunch of ways to buy small batches of fabric. they are having a sale right now, so you should check it out. promise i will tomorrow.

you are going to love this site. clotilde.com enjoy
Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #455
Master Chef

Quote:
It says the public are welcome, but it is fairly small, seating is mostly taken by the students. It's a long drive in the dark on scary roads to find out it is closed to further visitors.

We do well with our own telescope and clear nights.
I did not realize that. The reason I mentioned it is that we have one of similar size here at Syracuse University. It is also on the small size but, it is right on campus. The drawback is all of the lighting from the city. I enjoy star gazing! I used to enjoy it more on hot summer nights when I was still smoking, oh well! Then there were the submarine races at the lake
Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #456
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I did not realize that. The reason I mentioned it is that we have one of similar size here at Syracuse University. It is also on the small size but, it is right on campus. The drawback is all of the lighting from the city. I enjoy star gazing! I used to enjoy it more on hot summer nights when I was still smoking, oh well! Then there were the submarine races at the lake
We figure the students take precedence, nights that are good for us are really good for them. They are paying tuition and deserve the best chances.

Besides, wWe have taken the drive up in the daylight to look, not really a road I want to drive on in the dark!

Submarine races, now that sounds like fun!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #457
Head Chef

Quote:
Thanks, PF. That is a very interesting and "enlightening" page. And now I know the technical term "Rings Around the Moon" for rings around the moon.

One more thing, please, from an obviously ignorant moon-gazer: was the moon ring visible from just our little point on the globe or could it be seen from, say, the southeast or North America, etc.??
Old 02-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #458
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It most likely was just in your area, the ice crystals are in our atmosphere, not the moon's. Weather conditions are the factor that brings on the different effects.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #459
Head Chef

Thanks X two, Princess. It seems the older I get, the more expansive is my store of stuff I don't know. How often it is that the answer to a question opens the door to a whole new category of things I don't know *@#& about. Brings to mind the old song, "I know a little bit about a lot of things....." I'm grateful the easy-going community of DC makes it easy to ask dumb questions that get answered by our generous friends. Much more fun than Googling.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #460
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Thanks X two, Princess. It seems the older I get, the more expansive is my store of stuff I don't know. How often it is that the answer to a question opens the door to a whole new category of things I don't know *@#& about. Brings to mind the old song, "I know a little bit about a lot of things....." I'm grateful the easy-going community of DC makes it easy to ask dumb questions that get answered by our generous friends. Much more fun than Googling.
Heh, it took going to college to find out I didn't know everything...the best lesson I got was "How to look things up!"