"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #471
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Swift kicks are my specialty!
I could use one too.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #472
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Gee thanks. You are so willing. But then I did ask.
Well, they keep telling me the patient is always right...

Old 02-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #473
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I could use one too.
I got them lined up!

I better eat my Wheaties!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #474
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, they keep telling me the patient is always right...

Your job is done!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #475
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I'm really interested to see which Bargello design you pick, Zhi...I had to look it up and they are beautiful.
I'm in heaven! 2 of the bargello books arrived today and one of them is the book I had years ago, with the same pattern I made before. It's so beautiful!

I won't do it again, though, it was 14 mesh (14 stitches per inch), and my eyes won't handle that any more.

I was so excited that I ordered a stand and frame to make working easier.

Name:   NEEDLEWORK STAND.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  5.9 KB

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #476
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm in heaven! 2 of the bargello books arrived today and one of them is the book I had years ago, with the same pattern I made before. It's so beautiful!

I won't do it again, though, it was 14 mesh (14 stitches per inch), and my eyes won't handle that any more.

I was so excited that I ordered a stand and frame to make working easier.

Attachment 13072
When I was recovering my my gastric surgery more than 35 years ago, I found a beautiful American Sampler clock that I wanted to make. I couldn't sit bent over (for obvious reasons) so I bought one of these stands. I could sit back and still have the work close to me. The best investment I ever made. It got lost or left behind in one of my many moves. I am definitely am going to buy another one the next time I pick up a piece of needle work.

Note of interest: There are several pieces that I have made over the years that my kids now have and want to pass down to their kids. They consider them family heirlooms. So each time I have put a sign on the back with my name, date it was made, and any other information that I thought was pertinent. I then painted a clear coat of nail polish (for the lack of anything else on hand) to protect the piece of paper and slipped it inside a small pocket of vinyl. Then securely glued it on the back. I didn't have anything acid free on hand. If you get a lot of compliments on your work, then it is worth saving and framing with the information on the back. That providence immediately adds value to your work.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #477
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I was recovering my my gastric surgery more than 35 years ago, I found a beautiful American Sampler clock that I wanted to make. I couldn't sit bent over (for obvious reasons) so I bought one of these stands. I could sit back and still have the work close to me. The best investment I ever made. It got lost or left behind in one of my many moves. I am definitely am going to buy another one the next time I pick up a piece of needle work.

Note of interest: There are several pieces that I have made over the years that my kids now have and want to pass down to their kids. They consider them family heirlooms. So each time I have put a sign on the back with my name, date it was made, and any other information that I thought was pertinent. I then painted a clear coat of nail polish (for the lack of anything else on hand) to protect the piece of paper and slipped it inside a small pocket of vinyl. Then securely glued it on the back. I didn't have anything acid free on hand. If you get a lot of compliments on your work, then it is worth saving and framing with the information on the back. That providence immediately adds value to your work.
That's a great idea.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #478
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's a great idea.
This is true of even handmade gifts. Let the recipient have the information. Specially for quilts. When giving food products like jam, let them know the date it was made. That way they have an idea of how long they can expect it to last. Remember, food products do not have the preservatives that store bought items do. Be proud of your work. And if someone asks for a recipe, be only to happy to share it. Forget that it is a family secret. Someone loved it enough to ask for it. Consider that a compliment of the highest. Being willing to share the goodness of your efforts, taste and heart.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #479
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good idea, Addie. This project is on 7/inch plastic canvas, 11" x 22". I found myself working with one hand over and one under so I kept wishing I had my old frame/stand to hold it while I worked.

This one is the same as one I used to have. Simple and inexpensive, plus the piece is on display when I'm not working. If I can see it, it will nag me to work on it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #480
Chef Extraordinaire

my projects are on hold til i feel better. my head is stuffed up all the time. there in lie mistakes. aggravating though.