What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the compliments. This is just a project amongst old friends. My brother is the bass player, and I've known the other two guys since we were kids. We played together during our adolescense, and went our separate ways for quite a few years. we started to get together again after we found ourselves all living fairly close to one another. But, one member has since relocated due to his career, and I am pretty busy with my full time (paying) band, so we are on the back burner again....the guitar player is still recording under the name with other guys. That is why there seems to be so many members in the band.

Way to go, Rock!

A friend of mine gave me a project I'm struggling with. His leather jacket needs a couple of minor repairs and one major one. One of the pockets is all shredded inside and needs fixing, however the jacket is lined so I'm going to have to open up the lining to get at the pocket and replace it.

I've been stalling because I'm not sure exactly how I will tackle this, but I posted the situation in a sewing forum thread and got back one helpful idea, and maybe more to come before I start.

I'll probably get started sometime tomorrow. I have a good idea now for where to start at least, but will probably get bogged down after I can see what needs to be done to replace the pocket.

I'm thinking I may (I hope) be able to use one of the front pockets of a pair of jeans I've started cannibalizing. Who knows, maybe I'll replace the other pocket too.

Last edited:
:clap:YAY. I got the jacket repaired. I opened a side seam of the lining and found that the pocket had been attached to leather flaps. It was fairly simple to just sew denim pieces to each flap then put them together (the denim) and sew around the sides of the pocket. Then all I had to do was blind hem the lining back together and do a little mending, so I'm DONE!

I also cannibalized another pair of back jeans pockets to use on a chambray shirt I have. It has breast pockets, but I want to add the back pockets near the bottom so I can put my hands in them when it's chilly.

Anybody else making progress or starting something new?

I build an Aron Kodesh for our synagogue recently. For those who are not familiar it is a cabinet where Torah scrolls are kept.

I do, but I don't think that is the completely finished one. I'll post it anyway.
There you go. There is a sliding open door, kind of like in entertainment center and that is where Torah scrolls are kept.
I'll try to take more pictures of the finished product and post it then.

Attachments

• AK.jpg
    AK.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 136
It took me 3 years to finish it. Working few hours here and there. Also I have never worked with wood before, so I had to figure out each step. Here are coupple more pictures.
There is a step behind the Toras, so when we get more scrolls donated, I hope, there will be place to put more.

Attachments

• AK2.jpg
    AK2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 136
  • AK3.jpg
    AK3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 149
Darn, for some reason I cannot addit the picks. Can somebody, moderators, open and turn the cabinet on it's legs, please. I am not sure what is going on in "Picasa" today.

Charlie, This is absolutely beautiful. It is truly a work of art.

I haven't checked in for awhile, but am working hard on my 2 afghans. Both babies (boys) have been born with one shower being next Thursday and the other one to be held the week after. I will post pictures when the are finished. Be forewarned, neither one is your typical baby blanket! Oh, and I have found out there are two more babies coming this summer!

Charlie, This is absolutely beautiful. It is truly a work of art.

I haven't checked in for awhile, but am working hard on my 2 afghans. Both babies (boys) have been born with one shower being next Thursday and the other one to be held the week after. I will post pictures when the are finished. Be forewarned, neither one is your typical baby blanket! Oh, and I have found out there are two more babies coming this summer!

I can't wait to see them. :LOL:

Finally I figured out what to crochet next. I've been feeling that something was missing to my days and realized that it was crochet.

I had decided to redo my color scheme decorations for spring, which is easy to do as I have no curtains (just vertical blinds).

My last scheme was based on a placemat with a predominately red color plus several other colors (stripes). I got several of the placemats and put them on shelves with a couple of inches hanging down, plus one for under my laptop serving tray that I found for the computer, so it wouldn't scratch my desktop.

Then, I crocheted a couple of bookcase top runners to match.

I looked at the placemats yesterday, and they had the same kind and pattern, but in shades of green with yellow, tan and even a couple of thin stripes of the red. I bought 4 of them, and replaced the red ones, plus I bought a fake flower bouquet in mixed yellows and cream to replace the ones I used for the red scheme in a pottery vase.

Amazingly I have all the colors I need except for a light and medium green. I know Walmart has the light green, and if they don't have a suitable medium green I think I can get away without it.

It ought to keep me busy for a week more or less. Anyway I have enough to get started and am scheduled for another Walmart trip next Tuesday when I can pick up the other green(s).

Last edited:
So, Z, what are you actually crocheting? A lap blanket or throw? I am very interested!

Oh, you made a comment awhile back that you don't like doing squares because of all the ends that have to be darned in. Well, I don't! I just crochet them in as I work. They never show and are very secure. There are some of course that I have to end up doing with a needle, but even the ones in the tiny centres are easy - I just pull them up through a stitch to the next row and then lay it top of the lower row and crochet over it.

Just a tip!

So, Z, what are you actually crocheting? A lap blanket or throw? I am very interested!

Oh, you made a comment awhile back that you don't like doing squares because of all the ends that have to be darned in. Well, I don't! I just crochet them in as I work. They never show and are very secure. There are some of course that I have to end up doing with a needle, but even the ones in the tiny centres are easy - I just pull them up through a stitch to the next row and then lay it top of the lower row and crochet over it.

Just a tip!

I'm inbetween projects and getting ready to start a couple of bookcase top runners to match the new color scheme of the placemats. See above post.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm inbetween projects and getting ready to start a couple of bookcase top runners to match the new color scheme of the placemats. See above post.

Thanks for the tip.

I was actually asking because I read about your beautiful colour scheme but didn't see what you are making. I can't wait to see it! We can pretend like we are sitting together doing our crochet projects over a cup of tea! :)

I was actually asking because I read about your beautiful colour scheme but didn't see what you are making. I can't wait to see it! We can pretend like we are sitting together doing our crochet projects over a cup of tea! :)

I didn't get a camera yet, but maybe next month, maybe. I really wouldn't need it except for things like posting pix, so I'll check into a little keychain camera I might even be able to get this month. If it is compatible with my laptop.:ermm:

I'll be back a Walmart Tuesday with 2 hours to spend. I already did my big shopping yesterday, and am just picking up more yarn and a turkey so I'll have plenty of time to talk to the clerk at the electronics counter.

Back
Top Bottom