What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The petit point takes forever to do. I think I spent about a year and a-half on my Cluny tapestry reproduction. I have a feeling the Heriz rug I'm working on will take that long if not longer, as one of the reasons I got the Cluny finished was when I had to have emergency surgery and spent several days in the hospital beforehand, then after and a couple of weeks recuperating before I was allowed to go back to work. I worked on the petit point a lot during that time. I worked on the rug last night for about an hour and a-half and maybe got 1/2 sq inch done.

I miswrote earlier. It's 42 stitches equals 1 inch linear. So there are 1,764 stitches per square inch. I doubt I even got 1/2 square inch done thinking about it. You stitch blocks of the same color, starting with the light colors and progressing through to the darkest, so it's really hard to figure out how much you've done square inch wise.

I decided to do a small petitpoint project that I intend to give as a gift. Took me a while to get started on it, but I finally did about 10 days ago and have finished the design, now just need to fill in the background. It will either be a picture or a pillow depending on the recipient's choice. It's a surprise for the person.

The "sparkles" are flash back from the camera flash.

37240-albums1048-picture6822.jpg

Thanks ladies. I thought it was a pretty design. There are either 40 or 42 stitches per linear inch, which equals out to a bit over 1700 per square inch for the 42. I forgot what count of silk gauze I bought.

Two Christmas's ago, Poo bought me a nice comfortable chair to sit in so I could do my sewing while watching TV. I even bought a swing arm floor lamp so it would shine down on my work. Before I could even get to really enjoy it, Pirate showed up at my door. And here he is still. I have yet to take out my needlework. And he has yet to give up the chair and stand all the time.

This is a studio apartment. It is one of the bigger ones. But it is a studio nonetheless. There simply isn't room for another big piece of furniture. But I just got a light at the end on the tunnel. Pirate has found out he is sixth on the list for his own housing. Hopefully he will be gone by Spring. By then I will definitely need a new chair. But that is fine with me. As long as I know he has moved out. And then I can get back to my needlework.

I couldn't look at everyones side jobs, but I did make it through about half the posts. Everyone is so brilliant, loved all the pictures! I was re-creating all things that needed to be done prior to the 1600's, then lost all my equipment (Medtran- loved your unicorn piece-I was tempted to paint one of the unicorn tapestries on the floor cloth of my medieval tent, but such a huge job, never got to it yet).
Slowly starting back up side jobs. My shrinky dink sheets made it through the fire, so I was making keychains and ornaments; beard balm, bath soak, block carving; next up will be making a new (simple) quilt, and possibly calligraphy since someone gave me supplies :)
So old recreations I use to do were simple clothing, turnshoes, soap, dental powder, lip and skin balm, pewter casting, blacksmith, chronicler, seasoning mixes, mead, beer, jewelry, weaved cord and trim, games, veil pins, embroidery, blackwork, and possibly a handful of stuff I cannot even think of atm.
My main thing has been cooking, though, I had written a couple cookbooks, mainly for personal use, and I need to make another book specifically for my husband (homemade rice-a-roni, goulash, beard oil).

Last edited:
I couldn't look at everyones side jobs, but I did make it through about half the posts. Everyone is so brilliant, loved all the pictures! I was re-creating all things that needed to be done prior to the 1600's, then lost all my equipment (Medtran- loved your unicorn piece-I was tempted to paint one of the unicorn tapestries on the floor cloth of my medieval tent, but such a huge job, never got to it yet).
Slowly starting back up side jobs. My shrinky dink sheets made it through the fire, so I was making keychains and ornaments; beard balm, bath soak, block carving; next up will be making a new (simple) quilt, and possibly calligraphy since someone gave me supplies :)
So old recreations I use to do were simple clothing, turnshoes, soap, dental powder, lip and skin balm, pewter casting, blacksmith, chronicler, seasoning mixes, mead, beer, jewelry, weaved cord and trim, games, veil pins, embroidery, blackwork, and possibly a handful of stuff I cannot even think of atm.
My main thing has been cooking, though, I had written a couple cookbooks, mainly for personal use, and I need to make another book specifically for my husband (homemade rice-a-roni, goulash, beard oil).

Thank you. i've got charts for the rest of the Cluny's for full-size needlepoint but they'll have to be revised a bit for petitpoint (too much detail for conversion from full-size to petitpoint). They'll be a someday project if my eyes hold out.

I used to love to do calligraphy. Did an art project once writing out one of the Norse myths and illustrating with pen and ink also. That was a job.

Wow. That's impressive :) I have some wax from our beehives we started last spring and I want to make candles with it. Still researching ;)

Stitching is all finished. Now to get an answer on whether it will be a pillow or framed. In real life size, it would be about a 15" square.

37240-albums1048-picture6846.jpg

Stitching is all finished. Now to get an answer on whether it will be a pillow or framed. In real life size, it would be about a 15" square.

37240-albums1048-picture6846.jpg

I vote for the picture. A pillow gets tossed around and dirty sooner. At least behind the glass of a frame, it will be protected.

Beautiful work. Protect it with a glass picture frame and matting. A light pink double edge mat inside an off white outside frame.

I did that with a picture of a Victorian house and it is hanging in my daughter's bedroom where she can see it first thing in the morning.

Addie, did you look at the size? That's part of a regular 12-inch ruler underneath. It's actually just over 1-1/4 inches square. When I wrote "in real life" that meant the size it would be if it wasn't a miniature meant for a dollhouse or roombox. There are 44 stitches to an inch. It won't be actually used for anything other than to look pretty, but thanks for the beautiful comment. I think it's really pretty too and I hope the recipient likes their surprise.

Addie, did you look at the size? That's part of a regular 12-inch ruler underneath. It's actually just over 1-1/4 inches square. When I wrote "in real life" that meant the size it would be if it wasn't a miniature meant for a dollhouse or roombox. There are 44 stitches to an inch. It won't be actually used for anything other than to look pretty, but thanks for the beautiful comment. I think it's really pretty too and I hope the recipient likes their surprise.

Gottcha! When it comes to numbers, my mind goes totally blank. If you had it starting at the one on the ruler, I would have realized the true size. Maybe.

Pirate and I have an unspoken agreement. I will do all his spelling and he does all my math. I got the better of that deal. He at least attempts to spell a word before he asks for help. My brain shuts down totally when I see a number.

But now that I think of it, I do remember you mentioning a dollhouse. So I changed my mind. Go for the pillow. That way folks can pick it up and look at it close. Then they can heap praise on you by the bushel full. You deserve it! :flowers::clap::clap:

I finally decided to try to finish up the shadowbox. I bought a couple of things on eBay last week and most of them have arrived. I'm waiting to see if I won an auction on a small bathroom set and then I can finally get to the bathroom. The living room got an old 60s style TV and now I'm waiting on an etagere to arrive to see how much more I can fit into the room. I already have a radiator under the window and a chair, but I may also add a grandfather clock and a table and lamp.

The bedroom is starting to look good. I ordered the narrowest bed I could find, a nightstand (also narrow), and a lamp to go on it. The bed and nightstand fit the side wall perfectly, but the bed was too long against the back wall.

So two nights ago I took the bed sides off, sawed them down, and glued them back together. Last night I took the mattress apart and cut it down and now it's back together.

I put some folded paper towels under the mattress to raise it and used a Kleenex for a temporary blanket. I haven't plugged the light in yet. I will need an alarm clock on the nightstand along with some books on the bottom shelf, some pictures on the wall, curtains for the window and a large fluffy pillow. Maybe I can get some of that next month. Meantime, here's how the room looks now:

Attachments

• need a pillow.jpg
    need a pillow.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 159
Back
Top Bottom