"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #551
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I've been looking on Amazon for an easy to use machine. Can you believe I'm even thinking about buying one in the first place?
See what you guys have started? Happy now?

This is the one I'm leaning towards. Amazon.com: Brother CS6000i Sew Advance Sew Affordable 60-Stitch Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

They do have 2 others a 25 stitch & a 10 stitch. I don't want to pay more than $150-200.00 limit. Is this one alright or should I be looking at the Singers? The 10-25 seems a little limited. I don't plan on keeping things minimal. This one seems idiot proof. Right up my alley.

I need a machine that can handle Khaki, Denim, Satin, Polyester materials.

Thank you

Munky.
Very nice, if you like that kind of thing... I've been trying to get rid of mine.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #552
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Very nice, if you like that kind of thing... I've been trying to get rid of mine.
Send it on over..

I'm working on refurnishing a sewing cabinet. It was my MIL's. My SIL's are NOT to know that I have it. I rescued it, technically it's mine.

Yesterday I had stripped it down. Removed the top. It had been in storage in my MIL's garage and had some water damage that left the tops on both sides warped and moldy. Underneath the tops is a corkboard/ pressed wood? That will be replaced with paneling. It's been sanded down, rough edges smoothed out. Just waiting to be re stained a different color. The drawers will be done and sanded today.

This cabinet is an oldy. I've only been able to find one picture of it. Made in the 1960's. It's a Sears and Roebuck Tri Fold Sewing Cabinet. The sewing machinge mounts on the inside, you fold it down and close the lid when it's not in use.

The problem I'm having now is 1, What is that box for that's mounted on the inside with some kind of connecting cord for? It also has some kind of metal lever that's attached to it.The original machine and bench are gone. Who knows where or who has them.

Here's the pic. What you see is what you get. No way to enlarge it. I've got the part # for the table.
That box really has me stumped. Wondering if it really needs to kept or tossed. I'm modifying the table for my machine. People who have favorited ON SALE Sears-Roebuck Trifold Sewing Cabinet by swampfoxvintageco - Etsy

If anyone knows. Would you please let me know.
Thank you.

Munky.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #553
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I did use the machine to hew Shrek's denim work pants. Sewed some flannel to make a cushion for the kat karrier. Then I lost interest again and don't plan on sewing again.

Nice sewing table, though! Be really nice if you get it set up for your machine. I think the box was for the motor for the machine that came with it. For the machine to swing down, they made a compartment for the motor so the machine was not too heavy. Back in the days when they were made of cast metal, not plastic.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #554
Chef Extraordinaire

That metal thing that is hanging down is the knee pressure that makes the machine run. You use your knee instead of a foot pedal. The wire is what connects the knee pressure to the motor. Google Kenmore sewing machine. They may have the instruction booklet. Or call the nearest Sears parts store. They could help you.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #555
Honey Badger

Quote:
I did use the machine to hew Shrek's denim work pants. Sewed some flannel to make a cushion for the kat karrier. Then I lost interest again and don't plan on sewing again.

Nice sewing table, though! Be really nice if you get it set up for your machine. I think the box was for the motor for the machine that came with it. For the machine to swing down, they made a compartment for the motor so the machine was not too heavy. Back in the days when they were made of cast metal, not plastic.
I haven't bought that machine yet. Probably tonight.
My husband did say his Mother did have the old Singer Machine. It was black cast metal.

The one I'm looking at is light. It's mounting it that might be an issue. If I need to keep that part I will.
I just don't trust it though. It's been exposed to moisture. Planning on keeping it's vintage handles. Those are sharp looking, you don't see them often. Most cabinets are painted over... I'm planning on restoring it to it's original state as possible.

Munky.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #556
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That metal thing that is hanging down is the knee pressure that makes the machine run. You use your knee instead of a foot pedal. The wire is what connects the knee pressure to the motor. Google Kenmore sewing machine. They may have the instruction booklet. Or call the nearest Sears parts store. They could help you.
Unfortunately our Sears has closed down.
I'll get some pics up later today to show that box. Cabinets stage now. They are all connected together.. HUH?

Thank you

Munky.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #557
Honey Badger

You were right Addie... Go ahead and say it. " Told ya so Munk"! It said " Mercury Electric MFG CORP 801 KNEE"
Just didn't see it at the time. Any closer and it could have bit me.

Here's some pics, just finished sanding down the drawers.
Mind ya, it's not even close to being finished. It's kinda shy all nekkid like that.

Munky.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #558
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
You were right Addie... Go ahead and say it. " Told ya so Munk"! It said " Mercury Electric MFG CORP 801 KNEE"
Just didn't see it at the time. Any closer and it could have bit me.

Here's some pics, just finished sanding down the drawers.
Mind ya, it's not even close to being finished. It's kinda shy all nekkid like that. Munky.
Looks great so far! What finish, Walnut or Cherry?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #559
Honey Badger

Quote:
Looks great so far! What finish, Walnut or Cherry?
Thankies, it's been some work.
Probably Walnut.. It's going in my room. All the furniture is dark. Might look pretty good with the cream carpeting. It's not going to be painted that's for sure..
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #560
Chef Extraordinaire

go to wallies .com to hard to explain.