"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #571
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That is beautiful CWS! Dad did an oak floor once, used linseed oil on it.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #572
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is beautiful CWS! Dad did an oak floor once, used linseed oil on it.
Thanks--it is definitely a labor of love and not s/thing to undertake if one can't wait for the end result. I'd love to rub it with Danish oil, but with a dog...not very durable. I do hand rub a coat of beeswax on the finish after the last coat, gives it a mellow look. The maple floor was nice, but once I rubbed it, it was amazing. I just don't like all the dust in the house...

Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #573
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks--it is definitely a labor of love and not s/thing to undertake if one can't wait for the end result. I'd love to rub it with Danish oil, but with a dog...not very durable. I do hand rub a coat of beeswax on the finish after the last coat, gives it a mellow look. The maple floor was nice, but once I rubbed it, it was amazing. I just don't like all the dust in the house...
I'd rather dust mop than vacuum any day! I'm trying to talk the landlord into removing the carpet and putting in flooring.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #574
Chef Extraordinaire

Definitely a job for patience. You would have made a great pioneer wife. Sounds like DH is a definite keeper. The floor looks beautiful. My son could use you for his contracting jobs.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #575
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Definitely a job for patience. You would have made a great pioneer wife. Sounds like DH is a definite keeper. The floor looks beautiful. My son could use you for his contracting jobs.
I do drywall, too, Addie.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #576
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'd rather dust mop than vacuum any day! I'm trying to talk the landlord into removing the carpet and putting in flooring.
The argument is that hardwood floors (or laminate, but I hate laminate, the dogs' nails click-click-click on it and sr. dogs, IME, have a harder time getting up off of laminate than they do off hardwood) don't retain odor, don't have to be steam cleaned between tenants, can be refinished (well, preferably if the hardwood is 3/4 inch, which is what mine is) several times and it takes abuse. I don't know about the engineered hardwood, I have the "old-fashioned" kind. My mom had a floor buffer for her hardwood floors, but I don't find that is necessary. There is a cost savings for the landlord--no hiring carpet cleaning companies, no odor retention, and it should last 30-40 years and still be in good shape. Not a lot of carpets can last that long. Good luck. I'd argue the case! I do use my Shark Steam and Vac, but that is not the same as cleaning a carpet.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #577
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm a yard sale junkie--Saturdays mean yard sales--never know what you might need. So today, I ended up picking up a bunch (about 10) bamboo placemats for $1. Now, they are green or red. I have some "boxes" that are made out of similar stuff--have a zipper in the bottom, yadda, yadda, yadda. But neither green nor red are my colors. So--I happened to have a can of PURPLE spray paint. I thought I'd spray paint four of them and make the pattern for those "boxes..." Oops. Decided I liked them for placemats and used some of the fabric I was going to use for lining for napkins (not the greatest pic--I'm tired, going to bed) BUT with my white dishes and the refinished table, the placemats and napkins look really nice:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	placemates 008.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	14334  
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #578
Chef Extraordinaire

They look brilliant CWS

We too enjoy Saturday morning garage sales, you just never know what you will find
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #579
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
They look brilliant CWS

We too enjoy Saturday morning garage sales, you just never know what you will find
No kidding--I am also a farm auction junkie. I'm really happy with how the mats turned out. I also spray painted a hideous pink lamp I got for 50 cents...only it is not purple--I spray painted it white and then sprayed water on it and then spray painted lavender on it--turned out really cool. I gotta stop watching the Curbside show! That's why I have sooo many projects--but I did this one today--I have 4 new placemats and 4 napkins, and still have to make the boxes/baskets...trying to figure out what to do for the napkin rings.........
Old 07-15-2012, 02:42 AM   #580
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like you have done a superb job on the old lamp...bet it looks brilliant!

I find garage sales exciting, trying to find a really good bargain or 2!

My mum is also addicted to them, she goes out every weekend come rain or shine