What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just a small receptionist's desk, 6 feet long. I've been building it in my driveway.
Since this pic was taken last week I've stained it and installed oak countertops.

Attachments

• P1050650.jpg
    P1050650.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 177
nothing inventive . sewing on badges to vest for great granddaughter.

then i am going to make a retro pillow for granddaughter's sister. she wants it from a t-shirt she has. not what i would want but different strokes for different folks.

still have not shorten three new pairs of pants. lounging type materials. soft and comfy.

I'm itching to get started on the bookcase runner, but I really need to start it with the light green that I won't get until Tuesday, so I decided to make some more Sunflower Coasters.

I made a bunch last time, for coasters or big enough for under a plant. Those are darkest coffee brown centers and frilly yellow sunflower petals.

This time I'll make the centers with a lightish yellow, and dark green bud petals.

The thing I noticed most about my color change is the room immediately looked cooler, lighter, springlike.

I put one of the placemats hanging off the edge of the A/C with the basket of yarn right below it to inspire me.

I also had found a set of ladybug buttons. I attached one to each coaster with a twist tie. Cute!

Hi, new user name but I've been following along under CraigC's posts as I'm his wife, Karen. I do petitpoint. Right now, working on 1 of the French Cluny "senses" tapestries. It's about 5 x 6 inches or so, 40 stitches per inch. Haven't made much progress lately as I've been doing a lot of "frogging" (rip it, rip it) as it's totally counted, no painted design, and I seem to be having a lot of trouble lately with getting the count right in 1 particular section - time to tackle it from another angle.

I am sewing Christmas projects for next year. I make Victorian Santas for gifts and buy clearance fabric and trims at the end of the year.
Also, make suet for my birds. They love the homemade stuff. They need the high energy food in the winter. I love to watch them.

Hi, new user name but I've been following along under CraigC's posts as I'm his wife, Karen. I do petitpoint. Right now, working on 1 of the French Cluny "senses" tapestries. It's about 5 x 6 inches or so, 40 stitches per inch. Haven't made much progress lately as I've been doing a lot of "frogging" (rip it, rip it) as it's totally counted, no painted design, and I seem to be having a lot of trouble lately with getting the count right in 1 particular section - time to tackle it from another angle.

I've always loved the look of petit point, but my eyes just won't do less than 10, maybe 12. I found it hard to follow working from a chart, especially if I had too much caffeine in my system.:LOL: Have you finished any yet? The only source I've found for needlepoint is Stitchery. Pricey, and no kits, pillow backings and picture frames are separate and pricey too.

I'd like to get back into needlepoint, but will have to look to see if I can find a source for canvas by the yard.:rolleyes:

I've always loved the look of petit point, but my eyes just won't do less than 10, maybe 12. I found it hard to follow working from a chart, especially if I had too much caffeine in my system.:LOL: Have you finished any yet? The only source I've found for needlepoint is Stitchery. Pricey, and no kits, pillow backings and picture frames are separate and pricey too.

I'd like to get back into needlepoint, but will have to look to see if I can find a source for canvas by the yard.:rolleyes:

I've finished stitching a large 24 count rug for a dollhouse (for a big house I want to build one day) rug and a much smaller "Charles and Mary" 40 count medieval tapestry - wanted to try the 40 count in a smaller piece first in case it caused eye/headache problems. LOL. The final finishing isn't done on them yet, i.e. folding under and putting on backs, waiting until I'm ready to use. I've got another much smaller rug started for the dollhouse I've been working on building for a while now.

I used to do a lot of needlepoint, crewel when I was younger but got out of it for years, just didn't have the time. Now though I need something to relax with and keep the hands busy and take my mind off work, etc.

There's all kinds of places on the internet, just google needlepoint and kits. I also looked for places in NOLA. There are a couple of shops downtown that look really interesting, one on Chartres street (sp?) and the other one on Magazine Street. Wish I'd known they were there last time I went to NOLA before our daughter moved away, would have made her take me, would love to see some of the silk threads the one place carries.

Karen

I think I have done a little of everything--counted cross stitch on linen, soap making, oak split baskets, quilting--but right now, when I am not playing in the dirt :LOL: I am working on a big dollhouse.

I bought the kit at the thrift store for $10, with the shell partially done. I had to fabricate some parts from plywood because they were lost, and I now have the shell done, except for the big front porch. The porch has railings and a decorative piece of trim under the roof. I had to build 2 sets of railings--2 18 inch pieces of molding, each with 25 teeny tiny dowels for the balusters. The trim is the same thing, except the teeny tiny dowels were cut in half, so they are even teenier!

I am having a blast with it, and am looking forward to decorating the inside. I have a grandaughter who is just about 16 months old, so she will enjoy it. I think it is going to be grandma's dollhouse--something for her to look forward to when she comes to visit!

img_971376_0_da266395753d0ba2d2a457d49b019c16.jpg

I've finished stitching a large 24 count rug for a dollhouse (for a big house I want to build one day) rug and a much smaller "Charles and Mary" 40 count medieval tapestry - wanted to try the 40 count in a smaller piece first in case it caused eye/headache problems. LOL. The final finishing isn't done on them yet, i.e. folding under and putting on backs, waiting until I'm ready to use. I've got another much smaller rug started for the dollhouse I've been working on building for a while now.

I used to do a lot of needlepoint, crewel when I was younger but got out of it for years, just didn't have the time. Now though I need something to relax with and keep the hands busy and take my mind off work, etc.

There's all kinds of places on the internet, just google needlepoint and kits. I also looked for places in NOLA. There are a couple of shops downtown that look really interesting, one on Chartres street (sp?) and the other one on Magazine Street. Wish I'd known they were there last time I went to NOLA before our daughter moved away, would have made her take me, would love to see some of the silk threads the one place carries.

Karen

Any pix?

You must have the two(?) leaflets I used to have for dollhouse rugs. I had the idea of making a larger size, but life intervened and they got left behind.:(

Last edited:
I am having a blast with it, and am looking forward to decorating the inside. I have a grandaughter who is just about 16 months old, so she will enjoy it. I think it is going to be grandma's dollhouse--something for her to look forward to when she comes to visit!

Nice house Wicked Witch of the West (aka Sparrowgrass, at least I guess that is what your sig refers to). There are a couple of really nice dollhouse forums I visit frequently that have a lot of knowledge/tips to offer. PM me if you'd like the names/links. The little house I'm working on is for me and the big house I want to eventually build will be for me. I saw a huge gorgeous dollhouse when I was a young girl and always wanted one but it took me until my late-40s before I finally got around to getting one.

Zhizara, I only have a bad picture of the big rug and the last picture I took of the Cluny tapestry was several months ago so a lot more is done on it and you can actually tell what it is now. Craig said the battery in the camera was dead a few days ago so I need to plug it in, charge it up and take some pics.

Karen

Nice house Wicked Witch of the West (aka Sparrowgrass, at least I guess that is what your sig refers to). There are a couple of really nice dollhouse forums I visit frequently that have a lot of knowledge/tips to offer. PM me if you'd like the names/links. The little house I'm working on is for me and the big house I want to eventually build will be for me. I saw a huge gorgeous dollhouse when I was a young girl and always wanted one but it took me until my late-40s before I finally got around to getting one.

Zhizara, I only have a bad picture of the big rug and the last picture I took of the Cluny tapestry was several months ago so a lot more is done on it and you can actually tell what it is now. Craig said the battery in the camera was dead a few days ago so I need to plug it in, charge it up and take some pics.

Karen

COOL!

I make cold process soap and lotions. All my buddies get on me for having a "woman's" hobby. If Rosie Grier did needlepoint then a former linebacker can make soap.

I make cold process soap and lotions. All my buddies get on me for having a "woman's" hobby. If Rosie Grier did needlepoint then a former linebacker can make soap.

Here was this woman's hobby before moving to FL. Can't do it down here -- the rocks are too lumpy. :cool:

Attachments

• stone wall.jpg
    stone wall.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 167
starting on pillow from a t shirt for granddaughter's sister. just had to get some stuffing. not enough fabric for an envelope pillow, which is what i prefer to make, so cover can be washed.

The division into "woman's hobbies" and "men's hobbies" is not only silly, it's culturally dependent. A few hundred years ago knitting was only done by men in the British Isles!

It took me a while but I finally got pictures of my needlework.

Cluny Tapestry - Sense of Hearing about 5x6 inches, 40 stitches per square inch
37240-albums319-picture2610.jpg

William and Mary tapestry - 40 count
37240-albums319-picture2612.jpg

Rug about 10x12, it was either 24/25 count, don't remember exactly.
37240-albums319-picture2611.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom