"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

since i am short, it is hard to find petites sometimes. i have three pair of causal pants to be hemmed. that is my next project. i still haven't done the album for my great granddaughter. haven't figured out why i keep putting it off. if i don't hurry up she will be grown and married. lol. just kidding, she is only four. maybe i just got sewed out at christmas. nothing that i see beyond that. i have been organizing my kitchen stuff. bought a plastic cart on wheels for under an island. have a wire cart to pick-up at walmart this week. gonna put some small appliances on it to free up some cabinet space.that is not terribly a crafty thing, though.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
since i am short, it is hard to find petites sometimes. i have three pair of causal pants to be hemmed. that is my next project. i still haven't done the album for my great granddaughter. haven't figured out why i keep putting it off. if i don't hurry up she will be grown and married. lol. just kidding, she is only four. maybe i just got sewed out at christmas. nothing that i see beyond that. i have been organizing my kitchen stuff. bought a plastic cart on wheels for under an island. have a wire cart to pick-up at walmart this week. gonna put some small appliances on it to free up some cabinet space.that is not terribly a crafty thing, though.
I bought a bunch of sweat pants, but only one was the petite (I'm 5'4"). Today's pair dragged all day. Oh well, getting the mending done or altering things tend to get me thinking about something new.

I've been toying with the idea of salvaging all the denim packets and sew them onto the piece of light denim that I cut off the bottom of the dress. It's a couple of yards long and 12" wide.

Maybe a wall hanging over/behind my sewing desk. Hmmm.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I bought a bunch of sweat pants, but only one was the petite (I'm 5'4"). Today's pair dragged all day. Oh well, getting the mending done or altering things tend to get me thinking about something new.

I've been toying with the idea of salvaging all the denim packets and sew them onto the piece of light denim that I cut off the bottom of the dress. It's a couple of yards long and 12" wide.

Maybe a wall hanging over/behind my sewing desk. Hmmm.
I'm 5' 0", if I can't get petites, I do without! It's why I buy men's jeans, I can't get women's jeans most of the time in the length I need.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 AM   #64
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I'm 5' 0", if I can't get petites, I do without! It's why I buy men's jeans, I can't get women's jeans most of the time in the length I need.
I'm also 5'0". I buy clothes at this local store that buys and sells used brand name clothes, get the size that fits me the best, then pay $5-10 to get them hemmed. I only pay $8-20 for the jeans, depending on the brand, so then I practically have tailor made jeans. Works great
Old 01-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I like and own several Men's shirts. They are pretty AND they have at least one pocket!

One pair of sweat pants that I have to shorten, has 4 pockets, the rest have none!

Anyway, my project today is to get started on shortening the sweat pants. Changing colors, making bobbins

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #66
Assistant Cook

I am trying to learn to crochet. Actually I have been working at this off and on for about 30 years (I am 70).

I know how to crochet BUT have so much trouble with the tension. It is easier with big thread but I want to try some stars.

Carol
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by casuesmith View Post
I am trying to learn to crochet. Actually I have been working at this off and on for about 30 years (I am 70).

I know how to crochet BUT have so much trouble with the tension. It is easier with big thread but I want to try some stars.

Carol
I have some doilies and 'antimacassars' that my grandmother made many years ago (they're old - I'm 70, like you). When they came into my hands, I just flat decided I'd never be able to do anything so intricate and so moved on to something else - I don't remember what - but not requiring such skill. It's good to see that the crocheting bug lives on, and I wish you many happy hours.

Liz
Old 01-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

i finally finished the princess album for my great granddaughter. she will be so surprised . so onto pants hemming.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i finally finished the princess album for my great granddaughter. she will be so surprised . so onto pants hemming.
Atta girl! You should feel proud of yourself.

I found a new project too. This week when I went shopping I got a couple of hand towels from the Family Dollar store to use on the arm rests of my recliner. They look better going crossways on the arms and are long enough to fold up to make pockets across one end for remote, phone, etc.

I "pinned" them both up with paper clips and have put them by the machine and picked out a spool of thread to match. I do still have some sweat pants to shorten, but they need washing first.

Keep it up, BabeToo. Hopefully we can keep each other inspired enough to keep going.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, i really need to make some more hot pan holders. i make out of hand towels that comes with the set. never have a use in the bathroom. i keep a paper towel holder, always full on the counter. if i were a guest would not want to use the family hand towel. i double the pan holders and they work very well. i have something similar on my rocker in the sun room. mostly so my arms don't rest on just the hard wood. pockets sound interesting.