What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I folded a pillow sham in half, sewed the sides closed, then did a little angle across the corners at the top of the machine. I didn't even cut the sham, in case I want to use it as a sham again.

I decided to use the bottom sheet to cut our the first tunic. It just couldn't bear to let those lovely seamed edges go to waste. I cut off the elastic and corner seams. It's too big for my bed anyway.

I got out the pattern pieces I will need and ironed them, but that's enough for today.

Tomorrow I'll pin and cut out. It should be fairly quick as there are only 4 pieces, front, back, and front and back facings.

Tomorrow is Sunday, so I should be able to take this downstairs where they have more table room for cutting out.

The pattern has a wide range of sizes, so I'll cut it out for the largest size, baste the front, back and shoulders together and try it on. If I need to I can alway cut it smaller.

in doing a list of christmas chores, i listed gift bags. then i thought about how expensive they are, i had another idea. i have a lot of christmas fabric, red with white ho ho ho's printed all over it. so going to make some bags out of it. might need to get red ribbon if i decided to make them so they close. won't be to many to do. for the things with boxes i have left over wrap so then i will be all set.

in doing a list of christmas chores, i listed gift bags. then i thought about how expensive they are, i had another idea. i have a lot of christmas fabric, red with white ho ho ho's printed all over it. so going to make some bags out of it. might need to get red ribbon if i decided to make them so they close. won't be to many to do. for the things with boxes i have left over wrap so then i will be all set.

That is a great idea!

My sister used to use pillowcases with various Disney or cartoon characters on them for odd shaped toys. Maybe your Christmas bags can do double duty as pillowcases, tote bags or laundry bags after the presents are unwrapped.

I made a bulletin board using a heavy duty cardboard picture back and a pillow case. I used a cream background rust paisley pillowcase. It came out really good.

A friend of mine just stopped by and gave me 4 pairs of pants to shorten, one of them needed tomorrow.:ohmy:

That should keep me busy for a couple of days. He also has 5 pairs of his own pants that he'll have to try on and mark for me, then I'll have those to do too.

I had gotten started on making the blouse. I cut out the front of the blouse, but have run into a "situation".

Babe, or anyone, please take a look at this pattern: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simplicity.com%2Fp-6083-misses-plus-size-sportswear.aspx&ei=cILiTsrbG4mesQLdw5yqBg&usg=AFQjCNGavkie5f7_GttL7GanW-HHMik8mQ&sig2=jpDuq0Ix7woXrlTwXNat0Q

The fabric is the same as the pillowcase, cut from the bottom twin size sheet. There is a seam right down the middle of the blouse, according to the pattern.

I'm thinking that I could make it seamless easily, and not have to break up the pretty paisley. It's a really loose style, and I think I could make adjustments to the cut out piece, or if necessary, cut a new piece out of the top sheet.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Oh!! I want a pair of those pants!!! The blouse is cute, too! I think you could make it seamless, just remember to remove the extra from the middle on the pattern pieces before you cut them out!

Z, my concern would be..... is this blouse cut on the bias? Since it has that "drapey" effect even on the short blouse, I'm not sure I would cut it as one piece. I think you would loose the effect.

Z, my concern would be..... is this blouse cut on the bias? Since it has that "drapey" effect even on the short blouse, I'm not sure I would cut it as one piece. I think you would loose the effect.

Not bias. I didn't mention, it's view D, but I think you figured that out. The drape is caused by the extra fabric on the sides and bottom. The center is on the grain.

I also don't see why I couldn't make the front and back the same, using the front pattern piece. It would just have a slightly bigger scoop at the neck in the back, which wouldn't hurt anything.

I think I'll try it. I've already ruined the fabric as sheets and I do have another one. It will mean making adjustments to the facings, but that will be easy enough to fix.

What the heck, it would sure make it simple to whip out a few. I really, really like the style. I think I'll continue using sheets. More fabric for less money.

I looked at the new fabrics at Walmart and they are expensive. $8 a yard when you need over 3 yards is more like the price of a made blouse and you have to do all the work.

I can get another set of twin sheets for $12 or less, and if I make the top out of the bottom sheet, I can also make a simple long skirt with the flat sheet, using the fancier top end as the decorative bottom to the skirt.

i would give it a try. i have done same with patterns. even putting sleeves for one into another. be aware of seam allowances when you do. i just did one for lilly and changed the back from needing a zipper into just needing a hook and eye. even if it doesn't work, you won't be out much, money wise. let me know how it came out.

Thanks, everyone. I am going to go ahead and cut the front as directed, but use that for the back, then cut another front without the seam so I won't have to mess with the design of the print. It's such a simple pattern, and hopefully I can make it even simpler.

It's such a pretty design, I'll probably make several of that style, once I get it fitting right.

Have to get "cracking" on the curtains for granddaughters "play kitchen". Wanted to make her an apron too, but we will see how time goes! DH almost has the kitchen done, he painted the appliances tonight with silver paint. They look like stainless steel , the whole thing is adorable, will post pics when finished.

I presently am working on a lapghan for my 21 y.o. ungrateful granddaughter. It has black yarn with white fun fur. For the matching pillow it will be with white yarn and black fun fur. I am crocheting it in the V stitch pattern.

When I finish it, I want to get back to embroidery. I cannot just sit and stare at the TV. I have to have something in my hands. I have done so many projects over the years. Yet I don't have one thing in my house.

I have a pile of baby yarn that someone gave me. When I want to do a quick project, I make hats for preemie babies. I have a girlfriend that makes outfits for babies that are stillborn. No baby should be buried naked. Sometimes we make outfits for mothers to take their babies home from the hospital. The mothers have no idea who is giving these items. But it is very rewarding for us.

I have been doing needle work and crocheting and knitting since I was 12 y.o. Every time I take something with me to a doctors appointment, someone will come over and want to see what I am doing. Then I hear, "I wish I had paid attention to my grandmother when I was small." :rolleyes:

I presently am working on a lapghan for my 21 y.o. ungrateful granddaughter. It has black yarn with white fun fur. For the matching pillow it will be with white yarn and black fun fur. I am crocheting it in the V stitch pattern.

When I finish it, I want to get back to embroidery. I cannot just sit and stare at the TV. I have to have something in my hands. I have done so many projects over the years. Yet I don't have one thing in my house.

I have a pile of baby yarn that someone gave me. When I want to do a quick project, I make hats for preemie babies. I have a girlfriend that makes outfits for babies that are stillborn. No baby should be buried naked. Sometimes we make outfits for mothers to take their babies home from the hospital. The mothers have no idea who is giving these items. But it is very rewarding for us.

I have been doing needle work and crocheting and knitting since I was 12 y.o. Every time I take something with me to a doctors appointment, someone will come over and want to see what I am doing. Then I hear, "I wish I had paid attention to my grandmother when I was small." :rolleyes:

Knitting or Crocheting caps for men and women who are going through chemo and lost their hair is a nice thing, too! I have a friend who does that and she sent my Mom three caps for work! I wish I was crafty, I would make those.

Knitting or Crocheting caps for men and women who are going through chemo and lost their hair is a nice thing, too! I have a friend who does that and she sent my Mom three caps for work! I wish I was crafty, I would make those.
When my Patty was at the stage of total hair loss, I thought it was one of the nicest things in the world that the Mayo Clinic had a huge selection of those scarves and hats available for free to all the patients. What a totally nice thing for someone to do. Anyone who makes those for chemo patients gets an automatic pair of wings in my book!:angel::angel::angel: Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Last edited:
I have a rock tumbler that has been running for over a week now. The last job I was on was on a lake front property and there was loads of rose quartz across the road. I scrounged up a tumbler full. I will probably make a few key chains and a couple of pendants. My daughter likes to make candle holders and stuff and give them away. Just hobby stuff....

Last edited:
I have a rock tumbler that has been running for over a week now. The last job I was on was on a lake front property and there was loads of rose quartz across the road. I scrounged up a tumbler full. I will probably make a few key chains and a couple of pendant. My daughter likes to make candle holders and stuff with the. Just hobby stuff....
That's really cool, Rock. How long does it take to smooth out a full tumbler of rocks? I've thought about getting one of them, but never knew anyone who had one that I could ask questions of.

That's really cool, Rock. How long does it take to smooth out a full tumbler of rocks? I've thought about getting one of them, but never knew anyone who had one that I could ask questions of.
About a month. I use 4 stages which last about a week each. There is tons of info on the internet. I bought the tumbler for my daughter a few years ago and now I use it more than her.:LOL:

About a month. I use 4 stages which last about a week each. There is tons of info on the internet. I bought the tumbler for my daughter a few years ago and now I use it more than her.:LOL:
I would have to import rocks. Florida has very few natural rocks. It's all been broken down into sand. Thanks for the info.

I would have to import rocks. Florida has very few natural rocks. It's all been broken down into sand. Thanks for the info.
You can buy raw stones also. I see them for sale on the Rock Hound websites. Not sure what the prices are. I'm sure it varies quite a bit depending on types and where you order them from. Part of the fun for us is to pick them ourselves and see what they turn out like. Adds to the sentimental value of the finished products, especially if you make things out of them....fun stuff...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom