What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so sorry, babe. I hope your dr. visit gets you better. I am happy that I haven't been sick in awhile. Hurry up and get better, lady, your projects inspire (guilt trip) me in to working on mine. XOX{{{{HUGS}}}.

My projects are on hold until I get a place to live other than the family memebers' basement. I'm itching to do a couple of portraits, experiment more with figures and maybe do some abstracts with bright colors. Oh oil pastels and watercolors, why must you be packed away? I also have some beading experiments I want to try and some experiments with ring mail (just cheap stuff to start). I need a job before I can do those though.

My projects are on hold until I get a place to live other than the family members' basement. I'm itching to do a couple of portraits, experiment more with figures and maybe do some abstracts with bright colors. Oh oil pastels and watercolors, why must you be packed away? I also have some beading experiments I want to try and some experiments with ring mail (just cheap stuff to start). I need a job before I can do those though.

It is so difficult living with family. You feel like you are walking on egg shells all the time. You can't do the things you want to do. You feel like an intrusion in their lives. Hang in there. We all are rooting for you. Slowly the economy appears to be getting better and before you know it, you will have that job and at a pay that will allow you to get a place of your own. :):):angel:

I too, use that relaxation technique, but start from the toes up. Worked well for years. Now I can usually imagine a Light board in an elevator and watch the numbers lighting up from 1 to 100, if I hit the top floor, I go back down. I'm not having much troubling falling asleep, but getting deep enough for REM, that's what we hope to discover with the sleep study, if I'm just lightly sleeping and how many times an hour I "wake" to a light sleep. It's called Disruptive Sleep Disorder.

DSD, CDC, HDTD, ABCD, STDD, PDS, NBC,CBS. I am forgetting my alphabet. Are there any letters for that? :wacko:

Last edited:
Ahem... back on topic...

I've got all the bargello books and have decided on a zigzag pattern using varied long stitches. For colors, I'm just going to use the same yarn I used to make the spike stitch table runner. Tan, burnt orange, dark gold, maroon, yellow and either dark green or turquoise. Probably the dark green, as the turquoise is a little too bright.

I'll make up the graph pattern first to fit the space available. If I can accomplish that tomorrow, I'll be happy. I may have to add a row or so of the cream to get it to come out right.

Last edited:
I always have a gazillion projects but my stash seems to be getting thin. I've finished the sweater for our daughter-in-law for Christmas and I'm almost done with the afghan for Glenn's mother for Christmas. All that's left in my "in" box is to complete the Christmas wall hanging for another family member.

Later today I think I'll rummage through my "to do" knitting and crochet patterns and come up with something to keep my hands busy.

I always have a gazillion projects but my stash seems to be getting thin. I've finished the sweater for our daughter-in-law for Christmas and I'm almost done with the afghan for Glenn's mother for Christmas. All that's left in my "in" box is to complete the Christmas wall hanging for another family member.

Later today I think I'll rummage through my "to do" knitting and crochet patterns and come up with something to keep my hands busy.

I have two projects on-going at this time. One is a lapghan made with white fun fur and black yarn. The pillow will be of black fun fur and white yarn. I am waiting for some warm weather and I can go down to the patio and sit and work on it. The only problem with that plan is whenever I do that everyone in the building comes down and wants to see what I am doing. Then I get the 'my grandmother used to do that,' 'I wished I had paid attention when my grandmother tried to teach me.' I became interested in crafts when I was about ten years old. And I paid attention. So leave me alone. I am not interested in teaching a bunch of old ladies now. Go find a class. (Gosh I am getting cranky in my dotage years.)

The other project is painting a set of place mats and matching napkins. I can do that right here in the house. But I can't get up the gumption to finish it. I have a stash of yarn, embroidery thread, paints, knitting needls, crochet hooks, hoops, and who knows what is in that cabinet. I need to clean it out and send it off to the Salvation Army store up on Route One.

I want to do another embroidery piece. But I can't start another project in good conscience until I finish what I have going now. I need to get off my lazy duff and finish what I started. It would only take me one night to finish the place mats. The napkins are done. And the lapghan will only take about a week. And then, there is the eye surgery coming up. I don't know how long I will be out of commision with that. Has anyone got about ten cents worth of energy they could sell me? :(

I hear you, Addie about the "my grandmother used to do that." The other one I hear is "I wouldn't have the patience." I just explain to them that it gives me patience. When I'd come home from work I'd head to whatever I was crocheting at the time.

In order to keep the tension the same, I'd have to calm down from my workday tensions.

I like to crochet when there's something good on TV. I can't just sit and watch without something else to do.

I have the TV on only for the background music. Like you I can't see there and stare at a screen. I call it the Vidiot Box. I have to be doing something while it is on. If I need to be able to concentrate on a story, I will dust while I am watching it. Or sew.

The other one I get is, "I don't have the eyes for it anymore." Well, get new glasses. Go for an eye exam. "I can't see the eye of the needle anymore." Well, I have about 200 needle threaders. I will gladly give you some. "Oh, is that what those are for? I never knew that. I always throw them away." Come to think of it, I have yet to see anyone here who has gotten new glasses in the 3.5 years I have been here. I have never heard anyone say they are going for an eye exam. Oh well. :)

I have the TV on only for the background music. Like you I can't see there and stare at a screen. I call it the Vidiot Box. I have to be doing something while it is on. If I need to be able to concentrate on a story, I will dust while I am watching it. Or sew.

The other one I get is, "I don't have the eyes for it anymore." Well, get new glasses. Go for an eye exam. "I can't see the eye of the needle anymore." Well, I have about 200 needle threaders. I will gladly give you some. "Oh, is that what those are for? I never knew that. I always throw them away." Come to think of it, I have yet to see anyone here who has gotten new glasses in the 3.5 years I have been here. I have never heard anyone say they are going for an eye exam. Oh well. :)

Addie,

Your post made me smile!

Some folks do seem to spend all of their time putting up barriers while others spend time tearing them down or finding a way around them!

I framed the roll off roof of my observatory this week.

Attachments

• P1060492.JPG
    P1060492.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 135
I wish you all would post pics of your other projects. No cameras? no Picasa? so easy to do (when you know how, heh).

My applique quilt is keeping me busy this cold winter...got this far to date: (machine embroidery is taking longtime...)
Done%20to%20date.JPG

20 squares done, only 25 to go!

I also make handmade soap, the "good" kind, but haven't made a new batch in awhile, cuz sales are slow after Christmas until April. Taking a break from it. May ask for scent suggestions from y'all (in another thread).

Thanks for the comments.
The whole idea behind having a backyard observatory is so that you will use the telescope more often as it is already set up, aligned, cooled to ambient temperature, and ready to observe. Before, it was such a drag to haul the heavy telescope components outside and go through the whole set up ritual and wait for the scope to cool every time I wanted to observe. And when you're done for the night, taking everything apart, and hauling everything back inside when you're practically half asleep.

Addie,

Your post made me smile!

Some folks do seem to spend all of their time putting up barriers while others spend time tearing them down or finding a way around them!

well i got new glasses just a year ago. already have trouble seeing with these ones. so guess surgery is in order. sometimes, we just have to face that we are getting older and that some things, just can't be done anymore.

Back
Top Bottom