"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

No offense to anyone else, but I have decided that Mudbug has the answer

Old 06-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
No offense to anyone else, but I have decided that Mudbug has the answer
Just remember that you have to sustain the exercise for 30 minutes for it to do you good!

OK, next idea, please.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

So 29 minutes won't do it?
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #14
Head Chef

All the crunches in the world won't help if you don't include FREQUENT cardio-vascular work. What would end up happening is that you would have well developed abdominal muscles, but they would still be buried deep inside your pot belly. 'Cardio' work increases your metabolism and burns fat. You need to raise your heartrate to around 135-150 bpm for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week... more if you can manage it. If you are eating correct food and number of calories and you don't want to change what you're eating, you have to increase your metabolism to lose weight. Your metabolism naturally changes as you age... that's probably what has happened to you. Lots of folks have little trouble when they're younger because their higher metabolism (and, usually, higher activity level) but, as one ages, one often changes their lifestyle - - thereby reducing the number of calories they're burning - - at the same time their body is slowing down on its own.

It's important to have a pretty good idea of how many calories are going IN on an average day and compare that to what is normal for your age, stature and activity level.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

GB, be like the Little Engine That Could

I-Think-I-Can I-Think-I-Can
Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Belly

GB since I have increased my walking, I do notice my waist is smaller. didn't happen fast but as time progresses clothes all over not as tight. Feel better too. Good luck GB. Just stay healthy. Don't skimp on good meals.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

I have been walking more lately, but not hard walking. More strolling than walking. I will have to pick up the pace I think.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

GB do you or have you ever lifted weights at all? Weight lifting is one of those few things that you can do which actually still burns off calories even when you're through working out and your body is at rest.

Also, try using this as a basic referrence to see how many calories you're actually burning off.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitness...alorieburn.htm

Old 06-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
To be honest, there is no such things as spot reducing, you will need to keep on overall fitness routine, well balanced between muscular strength training (such as working with weights), endurance (running, swimming, aerobics/dance routine, cycling etc.), and stretching. Of course variety of ab exercises (one of the few muscle groups you can work on everyday) will help in shaping up the pot belly, but just doing numerous sit ups alone will not get rid of the surplus mass. To reduce the excess fat tissue, you need both aerobic exercise and balanced muscular strength training, and you must not expect to see an immediate result, it takes some patience, give it at least a month to see a difference.
I have been involved in fitness for more than 10 years (at one time I worked as a fitness instructor for 2 and half years), if you need further advice, let me know||
Old 06-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Just to summarise everyone else about the tummy problem....
1. The only way to get fat off is to reduce your calorie intake, or increase your calorie expenditure, or ideally a combination of the two. You can get your cardio anywhere you like, the pool, the running track, the gym, the bedroom.....etc!!!

2. Whilst your doing that you can do exercises to make the musculature under the fat firmer and more efficient. I second the big exercise balls. They are brilliant and you can do so many exercises on them. I do normal crunches, weighted crunches, oblique crunches, and this weird one on all fours with the ball under your feet and brining the knees up to the chest. Take some balancing, and works righ along the abdominals.

3. Overall weight training has been shown to assist the body in consuming abdominal fat in women, whether that works for men I don't know, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, as ironchef says, so build muscle and you'll burn fat. You don't have to look like Arnie however!!!

4. Tummy fat is stubborn and you gotta keep working at it!!!