"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Now...you have made me really hungry Chubbs

Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #32
Head Chef

With no calorie ramifications?

Lays potato chips--original, and chip dip made with sour cream and Lipton French Onion soup mix.

And shrimp, cold, cooked, hot w/melted butter.
And lobster hot w/butter.

(I rarely if ever eat these things.)

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I try not to eat potato chips often but we get some here, Smiths brand and they are 75% less saturated fat....so I have been eating a lot of them

Although they are still high in carbs
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Some pediatricians started a study with kids that are allergic to peanuts. They had Mom give them just a tiny bit of PB on the tip of a spoon each day. Eventually they adjusted to them and lost their allergy. I wonder if it would work with adults?

As a kid I was allergic to eggs. But I insisted on eating them. Now I can eat them by the dozen. I started with small amounts of scrambled eggs. I also have a tendency to be allergic to shellfish. But I still eat them. Small amounts only. And I seem to do better when they are deep fried. Go figure. And it is months in between having them. One of these days it will all backfire on me.

Last year for my birthday, my daughter bought me a really large helping of fried clams. I pigged out. Bad move! Got so sick and my arms and legs started to swell. I got a little scared on that one.

When I was dating my second husband, we would go to my favorite restaurant. I would always order the Fisherman's Platter. It was loaded with shellfish. But before we sat down I would call the ER and let them know I was coming in. After we finished eating it was a rush to get to the ER to get my stomach pumped out. After about doing that three times, he refused to let me order shelfish ever again. And we changed restaurants.
I always crave peanuts/ peanut butter. I read that a person will sometimes crave what they are allergic to although Im not sure if that is necessarily true. It doesn't cause any major symptoms so I eat them anyway. Raw peanuts seem to affect me the most. I thought you were supposed to outgrow allergies. I never did, in fact I kept them and developed some!

On another note, my friend swares that if I give my child small doses of her honey (she's a beekeeper) that it will help his severe allergies. Is this true?

I remember once being with my boyfriend (at the time) and his cousin at a very large military dinner. They were serving shrimp and the cousin was allergic. He loved them so much that he kept chowing down, about the time that they were giving a very long serious speech, it started to affect him. They both got the giggles and in turn, I did. I had to do everything I could not to interrupt the whole speech. Why is it that things seem funnier when you can't laugh?

To keep more in line with the thread, I have been craving a taco salad all day!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
On another note, my friend swares that if I give my child small doses of her honey (she's a beekeeper) that it will help his severe allergies. Is this true?
I've read the same thing. However it had to be raw honey harvested relatively close to home. The bees make the honey from the same pollens that cause the allergies. It's supposed to desensitize you.

I've been craving pizza and hot wings. Neither fit into my diet plan. :boo:
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Well my 8 yr old and I went to the store the other day and he picked out a donut and I got myself a cherry one (rare occurence for me). Later that night I was ready for it only to find it gone. My husband had eaten my child's and gave mine to his mother! I think that is grounds for divorce, yes?

Peanut butter actually doesnt do too much to me. I ate a bag full of raw mixd nuts once and had a pretty itchy throat but it went away soonish so I think I can swing it!
I think you might start putting notes on things that are untouchable like MINE< MINE< MINE. Touch this and loose your hand!!!!
It works til he realizes you don't have an alligator in the back yard sooooo
kades
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I think you might start putting notes on things that are untouchable like MINE< MINE< MINE. Touch this and loose your hand!!!!
It works til he realizes you don't have an alligator in the back yard sooooo
kades
Or you could put a sign that says, "This is a school science project and has been injected with (find a hideous Latin sounding word) and is poisonous. DO NOT EAT. (No alligator needed.) Make the sign big and in red bold lettering.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I went to the freezer to see what I was going to take out for tomorrow. I saw a half bag of bittersweet chocolate chips on the door shelf. I ate half of them. That took care of my instant craving. I never did take out anything for tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
With no calorie ramifications?

Lays potato chips--original, and chip dip made with sour cream and Lipton French Onion soup mix.

And shrimp, cold, cooked, hot w/melted butter.
And lobster hot w/butter.

(I rarely if ever eat these things.)
For me it has to be Wise potaot chips. They are not uniform, some are browner than others, folded in half, just like they were when I was a kid. Lays are just too uniform. Like Pringles.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

I need fresh garden vegetables. Lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, beets, asperagus, green beans, peppers and carrots. I live in Western Washington state and it has been a wet, cool, cloudy summer so we are getting a lot of vegetables from California and warmer places.

What I am missing most are our beautiful local strawberries. They are looking a little sad this year. And berries from California tend to be picked and shipped before they ripen and lack taste. I need some strawberry shortcake with strawberries that were picked today!