What foods did you hate as a child, but have acquired a taste for as an adult??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I am a VERY picky eater (I hate that about myself) but I can't help it..

But it seems like every year I keep cooking, and making things different ways, i'm finding more foods that I actually like.

When I was little, I would never consider eating Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoe Sauce (of any kind) Pork Chops, Eggs, Fried Okra, Ketchup, Sour Cream... There's more, but I think that's enough, lol. I love all those things now.

and milk. The milk is weird, if I go back to Iowa and get Blue Bunny whole milk, I love it. If I get whole milk out here, I can tolerate it. 2% or skim yuck! I will get sick to my stomach.

funny... a glass of whole milk is horrors to me... I can only drink skim and only VERY cold. When I was a kid i made my grandmother put my milk in the freezer (always whole back then skim was for wierdo health nuts) until ice started to form on the top then I would quickly pour it down the back of my throat. To this day I can only put skim or 2% in my coffee. Funny because I like dairy fat in almost any other form.

Eggs. I hated eggs as a kid. Now I like eggs cooked pretty much any way. The only way I don't like them is if the yolks of fried eggs are at all firm. I have to have totally runny yolks. My aunt is the opposite. Whenever she ordered fried eggs at a restaurant she told them, "Fry it until it is hard as a rock, and then fry it again!" :sick:

:)Barbara

yogurt ... I just despised it as a kid. I think it must be processed entirely different these days because the only time I taste that "sour" memory is when I eat Greek style yogurt, which I now love, LOL.

funny... a glass of whole milk is horrors to me... I can only drink skim and only VERY cold. When I was a kid i made my grandmother put my milk in the freezer (always whole back then skim was for wierdo health nuts) until ice started to form on the top then I would quickly pour it down the back of my throat. To this day I can only put skim or 2% in my coffee. Funny because I like dairy fat in almost any other form.

I don't go that far, but I don't like warm milk at all. Gotta be nice and cold but doesn't have to be from the freezer LOL.

Everything, I was bad as a kid and even didn't like some of the stuff I liked if I saw something that even looked close to wrong. Now I eat almost everything except liver. I have had so many people tell me they had a special way of cooking it, in the end it still tasted like liver. :sick::sick::sick:

Like lots of other folks, there are too many to list them all, few of my now favorites are Brussel Sprouts, cooked carrots, peas, pickled herring, pickled beets and black olives

I was pretty easy as a kid, really liked most foods, and sometimes would "fake" disliking foods because my little sister was a very, very, very fussy eater (she grew out of it) and got lots of attention because of it. The few things I disliked were boiled cruciferous vegetables: cauliflower, cabbage. Fish and shellfish (now that I'm older I know that there was a reason for it -- honestly, the stuff we were fed was, well, pretty ****ed bad), and blue cheese. Now I love them all, but then they are mostly better than what we could get when I was young.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is Brussels sprouts. My mother, who was a good basic cook, cooked them until they were a greyish-green mooshy mess. And I got the "They're little cabbages" lecture every time I tried and couldn't eat them. And I liked cabbage.

I'm still wrestling with Brussels sprouts. I've had them fresh from the garden, cooked until barely tender and all other manner of ways, but still haven't been able to warm up to them.

Ah man. We just had Brussels Sprouts last night, I LOVE those things! We cut them in half and saute them with pancetta and golden rasins (we've used dried cherries too). I can't get enough of those sprouts, I bought a big ol bag of them the other day. :chef:

Here's the recipe, we leave out the currants and pine nuts. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/bumped-up-brussels-sprouts-recipe/index.html

I used to not like onion, tomato, spinach, pickles, any cheese but american, non-scrambled eggs.
There are more things I dislike now and liked as a kid, i.e. candy, sweet syrupy fruit drinks....pretty much anything sweet. Once a month I'll eat something sweet for dessert, other than that it's cheese and crackers or a pickle.

Last edited:
I can't think of any food I didn't like as a child that I like now -- I still don't like them -- The only difference...Now I can say I don't like it....As a child... Ya don't have to eat it, but ya better keep ya mouth shut!! :LOL:

Did Not Eat:
Liver – Eat Pate’ Now
Cooked Carrots

Still Do Not Eat:
Smothered Potatoes
Hash Browns
Fried Eggs
Organs
Olives
Vienna Sausage
Deviled Ham
Chicken and Dumplings
Blood Sausage
Cornbeef Hash - Looks too much like dog food.
I do not know what scrapple is, but I think I have heard of it before, and I did not like what is sounded like.

I pretty much hated everything as a child except peanut butter, and I'm not much better now. One thing that comes to mind is pancake syrup. I couldn't bear it as a child and ate my pancakes dry but now I enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom