What foods did you hate as a child, but have acquired a taste for as an adult??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I can think of a few.

Raw tomatoes, never liked them until i had my own garden. Now I like to snack on them while pulling the weeds.

Mushrooms, still not crazy about them raw, but love them cooked. Even went so far as to visit the mushroom museum in Pennsylvania.

Avocados. I remember as a child tasting one that my grandmother offered to me. I spit it out and couldnt understand how anyone could eat something so bland and mushy. Now, even aside from guacamole, i love them raw, on sandwiches ....anything

I hated spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli raab, & calves liver as a child. Now ADORE the first three, but still hate calves liver - lol!! I do love chicken livers, & have even enjoyed Italian stuffed pork livers, but calves liver - even the best - no thank you.

Shrooms and Tomatoes on my list too larry...

Still I will only eat raw tomatoes when they are good tomatos... I cannot choke down a supermarket tomato but the ones from my garden YEAH.

Mushrooms...slowly have crept into my diet... starting with portabellos I still dont like the slimy sliced kind that are always turning up on pizza

Brown "gravy" and White "gravy" I will eat now only if the source is known... the gloppy floury Diner stuff no where near my plate.

Onions... hated them then all of a sudden craved them one day never looked back.

Oh yes - forgot about okra. That's another one I hated as a child but now adore.

But of course, when I was child - you know, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. . . . - the only way okra was ever served was slimy. No one grew it fresh up north.

Once I "matured" & had the wherewithall to grow it myself & cook it different ways, it became one of my favorite summer veggies.

Broccoli, cauliflower, Thai food, Indian food, asparagus to name a few. Even spinach I can now tolerate in small doses and collared greens or mustard greens as well.

Here it the flip to it, some foods I loved as a kid but can barely stomach now: Raw tomatoes with salt on em, cooked eggs of most any kind, and milk. The milk is weird, if I go back to Iowa and get Blue Bunny whole milk, I love it. If I get whole milk out here, I can tolerate it. 2% or skim yuck! I will get sick to my stomach.

Corn, onions, (still not crazy about the texture of onions, but have grown to appreciate it), squash, ham (I think my parents always fixed country ham inappropriately, so it was that real salty stuff.)

I'm sure there is more, but I can't recall anything else at the moment!

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is Brussels sprouts. My mother, who was a good basic cook, cooked them until they were a greyish-green mooshy mess. And I got the "They're little cabbages" lecture every time I tried and couldn't eat them. And I liked cabbage.

I'm still wrestling with Brussels sprouts. I've had them fresh from the garden, cooked until barely tender and all other manner of ways, but still haven't been able to warm up to them.

There are far too many to list. Here are a few: Mushrooms, mussels, clams, oysters, sweetbreads and salad dressing.

Pork Chops......well until the invention of Shake and Bake. Now I love pork chops and the only way I DON'T like them is with Shake and Bake. Funny eh?

There are too many to list them all, but here are a few:

onions
asparagus
brussel sprouts
scallops
most fish (could tolerate it as a kid, but now I love most fish)
butter
bell peppers

There was nothing I wouldn't eat as a child. I cleaned my plate at all meals but when it came to Polenta I couldn't stomach the stuff. I was the only one in my family that didn't go bonkers when my mom made it. My sister and her family drove 60 miles to eat polenta at my mom's house. From what they tell me she made perfect polenta and sauce.

My husband was the only one in his family who wouldn't eat it either so we had that in common. One day while in Napa Valley in 1997 we decided to try the polenta and sauce lunch special. WOW. We were both blown away. Now I eat it whenver I can and make it often. You just never know how tastes will change.

There was nothing I wouldn't eat as a child. I cleaned my plate at all meals but when it came to Polenta I couldn't stomach the stuff. I was the only one in my family that didn't go bonkers when my mom made it. My sister and her family drove 60 miles to eat polenta at my mom's house. From what they tell me she made perfect polenta and sauce.

My husband was the only one in his family who wouldn't eat it either so we had that in common. One day while in Napa Valley in 1997 we decided to try the polenta and sauce lunch special. WOW. We were both blown away. Now I eat it whenver I can and make it often. You just never know how tastes will change.

Very true, tastes are always changing. My daughter is like you, she will try anything at least once, and so far has only rejected calamari so that is cool. She even likes spicy and hot foods!

Back
Top Bottom