"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Head Chef

What foods did you hate as a child, but have acquired a taste for as an adult??

I can think of a few.

Raw tomatoes, never liked them until i had my own garden. Now I like to snack on them while pulling the weeds.

Mushrooms, still not crazy about them raw, but love them cooked. Even went so far as to visit the mushroom museum in Pennsylvania.

Avocados. I remember as a child tasting one that my grandmother offered to me. I spit it out and couldnt understand how anyone could eat something so bland and mushy. Now, even aside from guacamole, i love them raw, on sandwiches ....anything

Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

I hated spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli raab, & calves liver as a child. Now ADORE the first three, but still hate calves liver - lol!! I do love chicken livers, & have even enjoyed Italian stuffed pork livers, but calves liver - even the best - no thank you.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Shrooms and Tomatoes on my list too larry...

Still I will only eat raw tomatoes when they are good tomatos... I cannot choke down a supermarket tomato but the ones from my garden YEAH.

Mushrooms...slowly have crept into my diet... starting with portabellos I still dont like the slimy sliced kind that are always turning up on pizza

Brown "gravy" and White "gravy" I will eat now only if the source is known... the gloppy floury Diner stuff no where near my plate.

Onions... hated them then all of a sudden craved them one day never looked back.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

Tomatoes, okra, broccoli, asparagus, chitlins.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
Master Chef

Oh yes - forgot about okra. That's another one I hated as a child but now adore.

But of course, when I was child - you know, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. . . . - the only way okra was ever served was slimy. No one grew it fresh up north.

Once I "matured" & had the wherewithall to grow it myself & cook it different ways, it became one of my favorite summer veggies.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Master Chef

Broccoli, cauliflower, Thai food, Indian food, asparagus to name a few. Even spinach I can now tolerate in small doses and collared greens or mustard greens as well.

Here it the flip to it, some foods I loved as a kid but can barely stomach now: Raw tomatoes with salt on em, cooked eggs of most any kind, and milk. The milk is weird, if I go back to Iowa and get Blue Bunny whole milk, I love it. If I get whole milk out here, I can tolerate it. 2% or skim yuck! I will get sick to my stomach.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Spinach, olives and asparagus. Now I LOVE them!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

Corn, onions, (still not crazy about the texture of onions, but have grown to appreciate it), squash, ham (I think my parents always fixed country ham inappropriately, so it was that real salty stuff.)

I'm sure there is more, but I can't recall anything else at the moment!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
The only thing that immediately comes to mind is Brussels sprouts. My mother, who was a good basic cook, cooked them until they were a greyish-green mooshy mess. And I got the "They're little cabbages" lecture every time I tried and couldn't eat them. And I liked cabbage.

I'm still wrestling with Brussels sprouts. I've had them fresh from the garden, cooked until barely tender and all other manner of ways, but still haven't been able to warm up to them.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I've always loved brussel sprouts. My mother used to cook them in bacon fat, lol