What Foods Have You Never Been Able To Conquer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, that is why I am not satisfied with my stir-fry because I am comparing it to Chinese in house/take out.:( Don't get me wrong, I do like the food, I just think it lacks that certain texture you get with the high heat fires.

Stir-fry. I don't believe it can be done properly with electric burners or most home gas stoves. They simply can't give the BTUs required. When it cools down (maybe January or February) I'll give it a whirl on the propane burner I use for crawfish boils.

You are correct, sir. I banged my head against the problem for years before discovering that the missing "ingredient" is wok hei, or "wok-breath." The perfect example is a good, smoky chow fun, which is impossible to get at normal temperatures.

I've never managed to duplicate it, so I make do by faking with liquid smoke (ehh...), but by all means give it a whirl on your propane burner. Andy Ricker (of Pok Pok fame) attaches a hair-dryer to a cheap ceramic Thai barbeque to great effect, as seen below, but make sure there's nothing flammable in the area:

20131004-andy-neongrill2.jpg

Last edited:
I have read that wok cooking was invented because centuries ago, the Chinese were running out of forest wood for cooking, due to the burgeoning population. So I have always wondered what kind of fuel Chinese peasants would have had to provide extremely high heat for cooking. I don't believe that Chinese restaurants in the U.S. are representative of authentic Chinese cooking in villages. So not being able to duplicate wok hei does not bother me :)

If it bothers you, though, check this out: The Food Lab: For the Best Stir-Fry, Fire Up the Grill | Serious Eats

Where I live, we don't have really good Chinese food. I've had good Chinese in Chinatown in San Francisco and I'm satisfied that my food compares.

I used to make that at least once a week for my kids. I still make it and I put in finely diced onion and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. Only now I make a smaller amount. :angel:

My mothers goulash was like yours only she would add diced celery too.

I cant clean, gut and filet a fish, I faint. I can take out guts from birds, larger animals but not fish. I just the sound that makes me pale white and then I hit the floor. So far I haven't stabbed any thing but floor, fish and chairs. So I have given up and buy fish, all ready filet. I can how ever watch some one else do it and I just cringe.

Browned Butter... would you believe!!

No matter how I stood over it and watch it like a hawk... I gave up for months

then I gave it one more try as I wanted to be able to say I made everything from scratch with my last batch of Squash 'n Ricotta Ravioli.

this time I used a very small frying pan and...

BAZINGA!!

I cant clean, gut and filet a fish, I faint. I can take out guts from birds, larger animals but not fish. I just the sound that makes me pale white and then I hit the floor. So far I haven't stabbed any thing but floor, fish and chairs. So I have given up and buy fish, all ready filet. I can how ever watch some one else do it and I just cringe.

Very, very sharp knives! I have been filleting fish since I was 8. With the exception of flat fish, the procedure is the same, follow the bones! I'm usually dealing with fish we have shot ourselves, so it is really fresh. If buying fish, it has to be the whole fish, unless I really trust the person that did the filleting, like a dive buddy.:) BTW, I don't faint, lol.

Last edited:
I have very very sharp knifes, I have one of the best Swedish made filet knifes, it a dream to work with. But I just faint, hit the floor hard and well so far the knife has penetrated everything but me and I have given up.

I do trust my fishmonger, he is so good and helpful, he knows what I need.

Last edited:
Pastry.

My mother used to say that you need cold hands and a warm heart to make good pastry but I had warm hands and a cold heart. (Which is probably true)

Thank goodness for Messrs Jusroll and their many varieties of ready-rolled pastry.:)

Pastry.

My mother used to say that you need cold hands and a warm heart to make good pastry but I had warm hands and a cold heart. (Which is probably true)

Thank goodness for Messrs Jusroll and their many varieties of ready-rolled pastry.:)

You are not alone. On this side of the pond we have Pillsbury pie crust. It is a great time saver but I find it is flavorless. The list of ingredients says there is salt in it, but I think someone just waved the salt wand across the big vat and that was it. I prefer to make my own with butter and Crisco. Sometimes I will add a small dose of the herb of the filling. Cinnamon, lemon juice, etc. Depends on what kind of pie I am making.

For Phyllo dough, we also can purchase that, frozen. Two small sheets to a box. Or you can purchase the little tart holders. A squirt of fruit filling, a dollop of whipped cream and you are good to go. :angel:

gravy for me.......that's why an immersible blender is godsend and banishes those flour `'embolisms`' forever! `no one has to know of one's imperfections at Thanksgiving!!! ````````````````:)

gravy for me.......that's why an immersible blender is godsend and banishes those flour `'embolisms`' forever! `no one has to know of one's imperfections at Thanksgiving!!! ````````````````:)

I was told by a fine restaurant chef to use a strainer to get those embolisms out and that is what I do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom