"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What Foods Have You Never Been Able To Conquer?

For me, it is an Italian dish that an old Italian grandmother who also happened to be my landlord made for me all the time. Sautéed Italian green beans in olive oil. Heaven knows she tried to teach me, but my skull is just too thick.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Pie crust. I buy them ready made now.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #3
Sous Chef

When I was learning to cook, I was afraid it would be anything edible.

Real German garlic soup! Aaaargh!
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I am terrible at sauces and gravies. Any suggestions for videos or books are welcome!

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #5
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Honestly, the dishes that I truly can not replicate are dishes that I can't get the right ingredients for.
I want SOOOOO much to be able to make Lau Lau

BUT
I can not get fresh Ti Leaves nor Taro Leaves, ARGH!
I'm sure that I could find a way to order these items on line, but...
Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Master Chef

The American Goulash recipe my mother made when we were kids and the cherry squares the school lunch ladies made us in elementary school!

The goulash was little more than ground beef, home canned tomatoes and elbow macaroni but it tasted so good when you came in from sledding or shoveling on a cold winter day!

The cherry squares were a sandy crumb base dotted with water packed dark cherries topped with a few more crumbs and baked on giant sheet pans. The texture was sort of a crumbly version of a Keebler® Sandies® shortbread cookie studded with juicy cherries that bled a little juice into the surrounding cookie base.

We each have our own "Rosebud"!

Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
The American Goulash recipe my mother made when we were kids and the cherry squares the school lunch ladies made us in elementary school!

The goulash was little more than ground beef, home canned tomatoes and elbow macaroni but it tasted so good when you came in from sledding or shoveling on a cold winter day!

The cherry squares were a sandy crumb base dotted with water packed dark cherries topped with a few more crumbs and baked on giant sheet pans. The texture was sort of a crumbly version of a Keebler® Sandies® shortbread cookie studded with juicy cherries that bled a little juice into the surrounding cookie base.

We each have our own "Rosebud"!

I used to make that at least once a week for my kids. I still make it and I put in finely diced onion and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. Only now I make a smaller amount.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I thought you were talking about food that you just could not choke down under any circumstances short of starvation.

I will try just about anything, but I draw the line at reptiles, rodents, and insects.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I'm going to try one more time to make baked falafels. And hope they hold together without crumbling....

Pierogies. Mine leaked but I only made them once. Same with raviolis. Maybe there is a pattern to this.

My Grandma's "pork dish". Haven't duplicated it just right. She used thin sliced pork steaks?, scallops? cutlets? with gravy. Not pork chops, thinner. Came out perfectly tender and tasty. ( I suppose it takes Grandma's hand to do this part. ) The funny thing is she even sent me to the store to buy more one time when she had just started dinner and more cousins showed up. The one thing I do remember is it was not expensive.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I thought you were talking about food that you just could not choke down under any circumstances short of starvation.

I will try just about anything, but I draw the line at reptiles, rodents, and insects.
I thought that at first too.

My bugaboos are any green vegetables and besides reptiles, rodents and insects, any food that looks like what it is or is looking at me. Or moves on my plate. Or can star in a horror movie.

Tags
food