"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What got you started cooking?

For me, Saturday mornings were not dedicated to cartoons. I used to wake up early on Saturday to watch Jaques Pepin's cooking show.

I think a lot of us probably learned from our parents or grandparents. I learned from my dad and still call him up for cooking advice when I need it. He's a great cook.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think I always liked cooking...but, it was something that I had to do. Mom worked and it was just the two of us so if I wanted dinner durning the week, I had to make it.
Just soup and sandwiches or easy things like Mac and Cheese from the blue box.
Then I had David and well, he needed to eat so I started trying to copy the things mom made on the weekends... spagetti, pork chops in mushroom sauce and tuna fish and noodles. Again easy and not to exciting.

Then I met Paul and every one knows "the way to a man's heart
is through his tummy" Paul was in no way impressed with the meals I fed him.
In fact as I've told you all before he told his mom that he'd have to do all the cooking because I just couldn't cook!

I didn't like that and set out to prove him wrong. I've done it!!! I'm a pretty good cook now. At least I'm a heck of a lot better than I was. Both he and his mom now admit that I'm a better cook than either of them. It sure was nice hearing that the
first time! The better I get the more I enjoy it. I've still got tons and tons to learn and look forward to every lesson.

One of the reasons I like this site so much is that all of you are so happy to share and so willing to answer all my questions, even though some of them seem so silly.

Thanks!!

Old 07-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Head Chef

My mother was never what one would call a 'good cook'. She managed to live until the ripe old age of 19 before she got married and THEN learned to cook. Originally, her definition of cooking included healthy portions of Chef Boyardee and the various Shake-n-Bake and Whatever-Helper (well, you get the idea). Unfortunately, she did all the cooking. That was until she was stricken with Rheumatic Fever.

Dad did what he could in the kitchen, but my memory of that time was an egg-stravaganza. Scrambled eggs, fried eggs, omelets (nothing very egg-citing, but he was pretty creative). I was pretty young at the time, but I began to look at cooking differently. I was able to see the creativity of it and began to see it as more than a chore that just moms took care of.

Mom was quite ill for months, but she eventually did recover. She'll turn 70 years old next month and she enjoys generally very good health.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I used to help mom in the kitchen occasionally, but that never really sparked my love of cooking.
I started watching cooking shows on TV. Then I met my future wife. Well all of a sudden I had someone to cook for. She did not know how to cook much so I told her I would do all the cooking. It became a hobby that I quickly fell in love with.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I started watching cooking shows on TV.
I was also inspired by TV cooks. Intially it was Jeff Smith, The Frugel Gourmet' on PBS (way before we had cable). He had a very nice approach to food that I found compelling and inspiring. And I liked how he ended all of his shows with "I bid you peace".
Old 07-22-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I am blanking out on the name of the chef on one of the first cooking shows I really got into. He had a show back in the 70's I think where he cooked very fattening foods. He came back years later to cook healthier versions of his old meals. Also in that time he admitted he was an alcoholic so he made a point of buying de-alcohalized wine in any dish that called for wine. Someone help me out with his name. It is gonna drive me crazy

Ahhh I just remembered his name. Grahm Kerr (sp?)
Old 07-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
When I saw my dad cooking something I realized that I can try to cook. And one day I cooked rice without saying my parents anything, secretly... So my first try was successful and they were surprised. Ofcourse it is an easy meal but I was 12 years old. So I have started to cook one another and etc. It was very nice to cook and nice to see the hungry eyes and hear very nice words after full satisfaction.
Now I try more complicated meals. And I STILL LOVE IT, COOKING.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I was hungry and was able to see the top of the stove if I stood on a chair. The first thing I did was cook up some canned ravioli. My mom helped get me started.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Both Grannies and my Mum and her sisters were all great cooks. Good food was part of growing up - and watching any of them cook was a favourite pastime... and being able to help (my Mum wasn't too keen on younger 'helpers') granny S or Grandma S was the highlight of a visit to either home!

My Dad's mum was a highlander. She cooked wonderful food. Her scones were the best I've ever tasted - all cooked on a girdle (yep, a flat, iron circle with a hooped handle that sat directly on the fire!) She then graduated to an Aga... The smell of a wonderful beef or venison stew or pie coming to greet you when you came in from sledging on the hills behind her home...
Old 07-22-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My great grand parents came from France, moved into the wilds of California in no mans land, they had 11 kids and grew there own poultry, veggies, made wine,bread, did it all. No stores just their own hands..My grnadmother being one of the oldest girls had many chores amoung them the cooking..She learned a wonderful chicken stew cooked with wine that we had about once a month and I loved it..The chicken just fell off the bone..Well my first introduction to cooking was to come home from school, walk in and smell that wonderful smell. Well I canged clothes and went out to feed the chickens and my pet duck...Low and behold, lots of chicken, but NO DUCK...Must have run away I was told...We sit down to dinner and I get to looking at that chicken stew, Hummmm didn't look like chicken to me...Yep, she'd decided the duck was dinner..I of course threw a hissy fit and got sent to my room with out duck stew...Have not cooked or eaten duck since!!!! But, I learned from grandparents, my grandfather on mom's side knew lots of Italian people and learned the in's and out's from them...Hence my first taste of Italian, Grandma, dad's side besides the duck stew made wonderful pasties..When I married, I knew I had to get moving as my m-i-l could really cook pasta, ravioli, tortas, and each dish was mouth watering..So, I cornered her and said SHOW ME Then I discovered PBS, Jacques, Julia, Frugal Gormet, Lidia,I was in heaven and still am to this day..Now of course, I love coming here and seeing all that each of you share everyday..I love it.

kadesma