What happens/ What do you do when you go for shopping at a suppermarket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What happens/what do you do when you go for shopping at a supermarket?

• meticulously write down every single item you intend to purchase

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • write down the few things that you absolutely must not forget

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • List? how silly..I just need a few things...(then)Oh no, I bought everything BUT those few things...

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • You get distracted as you arrive, & your purchase ends up totally different from the list.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • you bring your ipac, consult with the personal inventory record in your database.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • you bring a telephone, and consult on location with your family memeber on what you guys need.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • you are a walking computer. you have got everything down perfectly in your memory.

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
I would say that it is a combination between 1 and 2. But even with a list things get forgotten. Today, I made a list and it had slivered almonds on it and I still forgot them. Somethings I buy from memory. I also buy salsa, taco sauce, tortilla chips, onions, etc. Those are just a given that they will be purchased when I go shopping.

I always forget the most crucial item possible. For example, last weekend I wanted to make my version of Cajun Grilled Shrimp along with a bunch other snackers that I was cooking over charcoal while watching the Ohio State v. Iowa game. Bought everything except for the charcoal. :rolleyes:

Once upon a time, I never listed. But Hubby is a list person. So the compromise is that there is a list going all the time, which I take with me (I don't like him to shop by himself often because he just sticks to the list, and if something is on a great sale that we use a lot, he won't even look. If a meal we've planned could use a tweak to take advantage of something seasonal or on sale, his eyes don't even see it. And, heaven forbid,we should actually have forgotten to put something on the list, well, depending on where we've lived, it may require an emergency trip to a convenience store for toilet paper, or even using other paper products (hey, we've lived places with blue laws -- nothing available on Sunday, period -- when we both worked well over 40 hours a week) because it just wouldn't occur to him to even stroll down that aisle if it "isn't on the list", whereas I go down most aisles and seeing it would trigger the "oh, yes, we need TP" thought.

I write a list of what I NEED, and plan on that list to be half the list.

The other half of the list is what's on sale. If I don't need laundry detergent but they have 100oz for $2.99, that just made the list. Tuna is .99 a can? Tuna made the list.

Once I believe my cart is about as full as I want to spend I hit the register.

Mom only sends me in when we need one or two things so I said I am a walking computer!!!!!!

Cameron

I'm a 2 and a 4, though I'm also not listed :mrgreen:

I make a list, check it twice, think of something that sounds nice then head out.

Once there, I usually get everything on my list.... then IMPULSE shopping kicks in :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I usually end up with everything on my list and a ton of stuff that wasn't.

If I just go for one or two things and don't bother to make a list, I'll pick up just about everything EXCEPT the two or three things I went for originally LOL!

~ Raven ~

wasabi said:
I don't do the grocery shopping.
I make a list of what we will be having for dinner for the week.
I make a list of what we will need to make the dinners, plus other odds and ends that is needed. ( I have cereal every morning and a sammy or left overs for lunch). We usually eat out on the weekends.
Then........Hubby does the shopping. :rolleyes:

Same here, and HB does a great job. But about once a month he takes me, as I love to shop for groceries. Once I get in one of those little motorized carts, I'm all over that store.

being the beginning of the holiday season, i make a list, then check it twice. i try to buy what goes well with rice, buckytom is going, to town.....

actually, i really do something like that. dw gives me a list, which i do my best to fulfill (sometimes requiring going to 2 different supermarkets, then costco, then the asian market).
but while i'm completing the list, i buy etra stuff on sale, or something that happens to look particularly good, and make up my weekly or future menus from the extra things that i pick up. it's my version of the iron chef.
allez cuisine!!!!!! tonight's dinner will be made up from as yet unkown ingredients.
the asian market is very easy to do this as almost anything can go in a stir fry.
also, employing this method, it forces me to learn about new ingredients, or think of new ways to make the same old stuff. that in turn forces me to learn various basic techniques , so my latest creations aren't disasters.

and dw wonders why it takes me 2 hours to go food shopping.

Back
Top Bottom